home

Saturday :: May 05, 2012

Chaotic Court Proceedings at Guantanamo

Here is the New York Times account of today's proceedings at Guantanamo (mobile version with some more details here.) Carol Rosenberg via Twitter has the play by play and an article at the Miami Herald with a full recap.

The Judge did offer to let the defendants plead not guilty, but they deferred. Ramzi Binalshibh wanted to talk about the conditions of confinement at Gitmo, the judge said it wasn't the proper time. Binlashibh yelled out:

“Maybe you are not going to see me again. Maybe they are going to kill us and say that we have committed suicide...The right time is now, not tomorrow." [More...]

(36 comments, 906 words in story) There's More :: Permalink :: Comments

Saturday Open Thread

Your turn. President Obama officially launched his bid for reelection today.

I haven't read any George Zimmerman news today, but feel free to discuss the case here.

It doesn't look like the Government is going to call Rielle Hunter in the John Edwards trial. Hampton Dellinger says the Government told the court yesterday afternoon it anticipated concluding its case by next Thursday. It provided its next six witnesses and Rielle wasn't one of them. While that's no guarantee, I don't see any benefit to the Government from calling her. All the money she got went though Andrew Young. And since two of the lawyers who represented her in the state civil case against Andrew Young are now representing Edwards at trial, with her approval, I think she'd try to help Edwards, even though the Government gave her immunity from prosecution in exchange for her telling its the truth.[More...]

(37 comments, 365 words in story) There's More :: Permalink :: Comments

9/11 Defendants Appear at Guantanamo Court

Today, the 5 detainees at Guantanamo charged with the September 11, 2001 attacks were brought to a courtroom at the Expeditionary Legal Complex (ELC),

They are Khalid Shaikh Mohammad, Walid Muhammad Salih Mubarak Bin 'Attash, Ramzi Binalshibh, Ali Abdul Aziz Ali, and Mustafa Ahmed Adam al Hawsawi.”

They are all in court now. So far, none have uttered a word. While the proceeding is called an arraignment, the defendants are not called upon to enter a plea. The judge reads them their rights, an interpreter who is not physically present interprets one line at a time, and the Court asks if they understand their rights. (The interpreter is in a different building.) So far, none of the defendants have replied to the judge's questoins, which goes on the record as "refused to answer." [More...]

(2 comments, 1017 words in story) There's More :: Permalink :: Comments

Friday :: May 04, 2012

Tin Soldiers and Nixon Coming: Kent State, 42 Years Later

Tin soldiers and Nixon coming
We're finally on our own.
This summer I hear the drumming,
Four dead in Ohio.

Today is the 42nd anniversary of the shootings at Kent State University. The National Guard opened fired on students protesting the Vietnam War. Survivors of the shootings are again asking the Department of Justice to reopen the investigation into whether an order to shoot was given, based on a 2010 enhanced audiotape analysis in which experts concluded an order to shoot was given. [More...]

(11 comments, 1678 words in story) There's More :: Permalink :: Comments

Friday Open Thread

The allegations against Dominique Strauss-Kahn keep coming, here's the latest from France.

Bunny Mellon's lawyer, Alexander Forger, will testify this afternoon in the John Edwards trial.

The ACLU files suit over 9/11 defendants' arraignments set for tomorrow. The Government plans to censor any statements regarding torture while in U.S. custody.

What's on your mind today? Here's an open thread to discuss it, all topics welcome.

(201 comments) Permalink :: Comments

NBC Fires Lilia Luciano Over George Zimmerman Tape Edit

In the continuing saga of NBC's prejudicial editing of George Zimmerman's call to police to report a suspicious person, Trayon Martin, TV Newser reports NBC reporter Lilia Luciano has been fired. But keep reading, I have additional information and transcripts with sourcing to NBC shows.

First, backing up to April 9, I reported that the mangled edit used in a Today Show segment on March 27 was also used in a March 22 Today Show segment during a report with Lilia Luciano, who was reporting live from Sanford. Here's the March 22 transcript.

According to TV Newser, a different version of the mangled edit appeared in a Luciano segment on the Today Show on March 20. So we're up to three airings of clips with Zimmerman comments taken out of sequence on the Today Show. [More...]

(42 comments, 1997 words in story) There's More :: Permalink :: Comments

Thursday :: May 03, 2012

John Edwards Trial: Obfuscation of the Issues

The Government continues to put on witnesses describing the tawdry affair of John Edwards and Rielle Hunter. Yesterday witnesses focused on the effect of the affair on Elizabeth Edwards. While an aide also testified to Edwards' first meeting with Bunny Mellon in 2005, Edwards isn't charged with receiving illegal contributions until 2007.

What was the purpose of detailing Elizabeth Edwards' humiliating moments in a parking lot, at an airport, and in a car en route to the airport? Is the Government accomplishing anything by this intense focus on the affair and strife in the Edwards' marriage other than decimating the character of John Edwards? If so, what? [More...]

(55 comments, 1128 words in story) There's More :: Permalink :: Comments

Abandoned DEA Detainee Files Claim Seeking Up to $20 M

Bump and Update: Mr. Chong has filed a a notice of his intent to sue and claim with the DEA (a prerequisite to filing a lawsuit under The Federal Tort Claims Act) seeking up to $20 million in damages. You can read it here. The DEA has issued an apology, and promised a thorough review.

In addition to traditional tort claims, his notice alleges torture in violation of the Detainee Treatment Act of 2005 and the Military Commissions Act of 2006 and Convention Against Torture. The FTCA (28 USC 2675) allows recovery for pain and suffering, psychiatric and medical expenses, etc.

The actions of the officers give rise to the following causes of actions among others: intentional infliction of emotional distress, negligence, negligent infliction of emotional distress, and a Bivens cause of action for violation of Daniel Chong's rights under the Fourth and the Fifth Amendments for excessive force, unreasonable detention and unlawful seizure of his person.
[More...]

(79 comments, 682 words in story) There's More :: Permalink :: Comments

Wednesday :: May 02, 2012

9th Circuit Rules John Yoo has Immunity in Torture Suits


The 9th Circuit Court of Appeals has reversed a district court ruling that the lawsuit filed by former detainee Jose Padilla can proceed against Bush Administration official John Yoo, who authored the infamous torture memos.

The memos authorized CIA interrogators to use waterboarding, keep detainees naked, hold them in painful standing positions and keep them in the cold for long periods of time. Other techniques included depriving them of solid food and slapping them. Sleep deprivation, prolonged shackling and threats to a detainee’s family were also used.

[More...]

(78 comments, 522 words in story) There's More :: Permalink :: Comments

Irresponsible Media of the Day: Miami Herald

On March 31, the Miami Herald touted its own reporting in the Trayvon Martin case as an example of fact-based and neutral journalism, highlighting the work of reporter Frances Robles as an example.

As new details emerge, we work hard not only to get the information right but to put it in the proper context of our overall coverage.

I think it failed today. First, Frances Robles published an article about a "crude" 2005 My Space page belonging to George Zimmerman which included unflattering comments about "Mexicans." Then she followed up with a second article that includes a response to her first article by Martin family lawyer Benjamin Crump. Crump is quoted as saying Zimmerman's My Space page is further evidence of Zimmerman's racism, his pattern of profiling, and even of his ill will and malice (which not so coincidentally is the necessary mental state for second degree murder.) [More...]

(66 comments, 1776 words in story) There's More :: Permalink :: Comments

Junior Seau Apparently Takes Own Life

Boston Globe:

Junior Seau, a 43-year old 12-time NFL Pro Bowl linebacker, was found dead today in his home, the result of a gunshot wound, police confirmed. Police are investigating the shooting at the Oceanside, Calif., residence of the former New England Patriot and San Diego Chargers football star as a suicide. Police confirmed that Seau was found by his girlfriend at his beachfront home with a gunshot wound to his chest.

While the article references the suicide of Dave Duerson, regular readers know that I was a high school teammate of Andre Waters, the former Eagle, who also took his own life. The implications of an NFL career are believed to be related.

Condolences to the Seau family, and some hard thinking about professional football is in order.

(38 comments) Permalink :: Comments

Andy Pettittte Backtracks on HGH Claim in Roger Clemens Trial

Whoops. Yesterday Andrew Pettitte testified at Roger Clemens perjury trial that "Roger had mentioned to me that he had taken HGH."

Today, on cross-examination, he said he may have misheard Clemens.

Asked by Clemens' lawyer if it was fair to say it was "50-50" that Pettitte misunderstood the conversation from about a dozen years ago, Pettitte responded, "I'd say that's fair."

Isn't that exactly what Clemens told Congress -- that Pettitte "misremembers" their conversation?

Newsday reporter Jim Baumbach is in court and has a running account on Twitter of the testimony and objections. Baumbach writes the prosecutor didn't follow up on Pettitte's comment on redirect (which surprised the judge) and Clemens' lawyers will be filing a motion to strike Pettitte's testimony.

(30 comments) Permalink :: Comments

<< Previous 12 Next 12 >>