Bali 9 Duo Get 72 Hour Execution Notice

Bali 9 inmates Myuran Sukumaran and Andrew Chan have received their official notification that they will be executed imminently -- as soon as Tuesday. Indonesian law requires they be notified at least 72 hours before the killings.

Another inmate waiting for her final appeal was also moved to the Death Island today, after the decision in her case was announced.

Ten inmates in all received the notices, at least 8 of whom are foreigners convicted of non-violent drug offenses. All will face the firing squad together. [More...]

There are beautiful beaches all over the world. Please do not give your tourist dollars to Bali or Indonesia which executes non-violent drug offenders. Visit Fiji, the Maldives, the Seychelles or Mauritius instead. And please don't buy their products.

Why did they pick now to give the notice? Because Indonesia didn't want the executions to coincide with Asia-Africa Conference, being held in Jakarta between April 19-24. Jakarta is hosting at least 30 heads of state. According to Indonesia Attorney-General HM Prasetyo:

“I think it’s not polite if, when we have lots of guests, we shoot (the prisoners), even though it’s legal,” he said.

In January, Indonesia executed six drug offenders.

< Krugman on the Media's Clinton Rules

My god (none / 0) (#1)
    by CaptHowdy on Sat Apr 25, 2015 at 07:18:16 AM EST
    "I think it's not polite if, when we have lots of guests, we shoot (the prisoners), even though it's legal," he said.

Reading that make me sick.  It's hard to even believe, but of course I do, that a person with the power of life and death could be so evil and so entirely unselfconscious and matter of fact about it.
    Horrible.

I admit I have not been following this (none / 0) (#2)
    by CaptHowdy on Sat Apr 25, 2015 at 07:24:53 AM EST
    i wonder if the international community can do or has done anything to stop this.   IMO it's not that different than the killings done by ISIS and others.

Their laws; their country (none / 0) (#3)
    by NycNate on Sat Apr 25, 2015 at 07:40:01 AM EST
    I may not agree. But, I have no problem with it. I've been all over the world. Every place has their own laws. Either abide them. Work to change them. Or leave/never visit. Simple as that.

That is (5.00 / 1) (#4)
    by lentinel on Sat Apr 25, 2015 at 08:41:53 AM EST
    what Jeralyn wrote.

Boycott that dump.

Work to change their draconian policies by boycotting corporate entities that support Bali.

But, I honestly can't understand how you could possibly say, under any circumstances, that you have "no problem" with these horrific executions.

It makes me sick to think of it.

Better for them if they'd just killed someone... (none / 0) (#5)
    by Mr Natural on Sat Apr 25, 2015 at 09:56:42 AM EST
    Last week, a Bali Judge sentenced a man and woman who murdered her mother to 10 and 18 year terms.

Daily Mail: The two are accused of bludgeoning the 62-year-old widow to death in her hotel room in Bali and cramming the battered body into a piece of luggage. They are said to have taken the suitcase down to the hotel lobby and given it to a taxi driver, saying they would be back.

After two hours, and with blood starting to seep from the case the driver went to police who found the young lovers asleep in each other's arms in a hotel near the island's international airport.

[The Judge] described Schaefer's deeds as sadistic, but said his politeness and an expression of remorse during his trial meant he did not receive a heavier sentence.

My advice to smugglers?  Fake sincerity.

So what's different from here then? (2.00 / 1) (#6)
    by Erehwon on Sat Apr 25, 2015 at 10:53:02 AM EST
    Fake sincerity works here as there. Which is one of the many reasons why I am totally opposed to the death penalty.

What I find disturbing is that the apparent readiness to pile on Indonesia for sins committed in many places in the world including here. We should skip beaches in all US states where the death penalty is used a little too liberally, right?

Doing some googling this morning (none / 0) (#7)
    by CaptHowdy on Sat Apr 25, 2015 at 10:53:44 AM EST
    to find out more about this.

Interesting stuff.  One of the things I learned is that they are focusing more on tourism from China which tell me they are being hurt in the western tourist trade.