Thursday Open Thread

Another day yesterday spent on computer issues. Here's an open thread, all topics welcome, while I catch up.

< Windows 10 Upgrade Fever

Cop indicted for murder. (5.00 / 2) (#1)
    by Chuck0 on Wed Jul 29, 2015 at 07:42:59 PM EST
    cincinnati.com/story/news/2015/07/29/publish/30830777/

Need to see more stories likes this. Now let's see if they can get a conviction. I like this DA. He describes the traffic stop as "chicken-crap" and the officer's actions as asinine.

The curtain is being raised on how much cops lie. Police reports are complete works of fiction. They are trained to repeat terms like "feared for my life," or "he reached for my gun" to justify murdering American citizen.

The body count of Americans killed by police is up to around 585 and it's only the end of July. In the UK, only 52 people have been killed by police since 1900. Yep, that's a hundred and fifteen years folks. What is wrong with this country?

My Black friend (none / 0) (#2)
    by Repack Rider on Thu Jul 30, 2015 at 12:09:47 AM EST
    ...was shot and seriously wounded by a deputy, who knew he was driving on a suspended license.

A suspended license.

When my friend, WHOSE IDENTITY WAS KNOWN attempted to leave the scene, the deputy riddled the car as he emptied his weapon, in a residential area.

I saw the car in an impound lot in a police station about 20 miles from where the shooting occurred, and before I was thrown out I took a few photographs of the gunshot damage.  The deputy, who claimed he was in "fear of his life because the vehicle was being driven at him," managed to put six bullets into the driver's door, and both front side windows were gone, so I assume there were others.  There is no way this shot group from a right angle to the vehicle could have been delivered if the vehicle was directed at the deputy.

My friend is probably in line for a big payday, says we're going to party when it comes.  His arm is still messed up.

While most of your point is valid (none / 0) (#9)
    by jbindc on Thu Jul 30, 2015 at 08:02:30 AM EST
    You lose it when comparing to the UK, where not only do most cops not carry guns, but very few people on the street carry guns.

It makes for a whole different mindset, and thus, cannot be used for comparison.

Considering how many people (5.00 / 1) (#14)
    by Chuck0 on Thu Jul 30, 2015 at 08:21:36 AM EST
    killed by cops are unarmed, I think it's a more than fair comparison.

Nope (none / 0) (#20)
    by jbindc on Thu Jul 30, 2015 at 09:04:09 AM EST
    If you assume that a person you are dealing with is most likely unarmed, you would approach that person very differently than if you may / have to suspect that person is armed.

Like I said, most of your post was right on, but this comparison to the UK is not relevant and is wrong.

Yes a different mindset in the UK (none / 0) (#22)
    by CoralGables on Thu Jul 30, 2015 at 09:11:19 AM EST
    But the preferred mindset here (just my opinion of course).

Just watched. Trump focus group (none / 0) (#3)
    by CaptHowdy on Thu Jul 30, 2015 at 07:20:39 AM EST
    on Mourning Joe.

Wowee.

Find it online and watch it.

Favorite response-

What would a Trump presidency look like?

Classy.  (no, really.   That's what they said)

My favorite part of the recent coverage is how many are saying they expected this.  PREDICTED it!

I read (none / 0) (#4)
    by Ga6thDem on Thu Jul 30, 2015 at 07:28:58 AM EST
    an article that talked about Trump's appeal and it said guys look at him and say hey, if I had all that money that's the kind of life I would be living.

Well, there's all these predictions that he's going to blow up soon, any day now, it's going to be the end. I think he might gain even more voters from the debate.

Great Trump debate tweet (none / 0) (#5)
    by CaptHowdy on Thu Jul 30, 2015 at 07:43:15 AM EST
    Imagine a NASCAR driver prepping for a race knowing one of the drivers will be drunk.  That's what prepping for this debate is like.

I have to say, if he punks the Koch brothers I may put a Trump sign in my yard.

Btw (none / 0) (#6)
    by CaptHowdy on Thu Jul 30, 2015 at 07:44:57 AM EST
    the kickoff for the Mourning Joe discussion was a new Florida poll with Trump beating both Jeb and Marco.

Trump (none / 0) (#12)
    by Ga6thDem on Thu Jul 30, 2015 at 08:08:24 AM EST
    might just roll over both of them. LOL.

Jeb has now determined that he is willing to risk losing the primary so he can win the general. So if he's going that route he's probably going to lose the primary.

Tweet twist (none / 0) (#16)
    by CaptHowdy on Thu Jul 30, 2015 at 08:30:46 AM EST
    ask yourself

How many people would watch a NASCAR race BECAUSE they knew one of the drivers was going to be drunk?

To be clear (none / 0) (#17)
    by CoralGables on Thu Jul 30, 2015 at 08:40:06 AM EST
    That tweet came from John Weaver, a political strategist for John Kasich. And although never mentioning Trump by name it was assumed Trump was the meaning behind the tweet. I suspect it could also have been meant for at least half a dozen others that will be on the main stage August 6 and maybe another 3 or 4 that will be on the second tier stage the same night.

Here is the focus group video (none / 0) (#8)
    by CaptHowdy on Thu Jul 30, 2015 at 07:51:51 AM EST
    Advice conservatives (none / 0) (#7)
    by Mordiggian 88 on Thu Jul 30, 2015 at 07:48:27 AM EST
    Never give themselves.

Michigan state sentencing guidelines (none / 0) (#10)
    by jbindc on Thu Jul 30, 2015 at 08:06:28 AM EST
    ruled unconstitutional - said judges should use then in an advisory capacity only.

I used to work for the judge mentioned  - this is kind of an exceptional story because she is a judge who is RARELY overturned (although, in this case, the sentence she imposed was not overturned, but the basis of how she got there was).

re disgusting female lawyers and DT (none / 0) (#11)
    by zaitztheunconvicted on Thu Jul 30, 2015 at 08:08:19 AM EST
    I see that Chris Hayes has an interview with a woman lawyer whom Trump was calling disgusting and from whom he walked out of a deposition .  . .

It seems like the woman is a bit mad . . .  maybe she is madder than usual . . .

I saw that (none / 0) (#13)
    by CaptHowdy on Thu Jul 30, 2015 at 08:15:04 AM EST
    it was a great example of how you can sympathize and agree with every word they say and still dislike them.
    This is  not a moral opinion.  She is not a likable person.

Mark Halperin had some great lines this morning as the others speculated on what on earth Trump could do that would be his demise.

Halperin-I know.  A story about sexual assault or a front page NYTimes story about him ridiculing a woman for breast feeding.
    Oh, wait...
    Or if he says something really outrageous like making fun of a war hero...
    Oh wait.

You and I know (none / 0) (#15)
    by Ga6thDem on Thu Jul 30, 2015 at 08:24:18 AM EST
    there's almost nothing that Trump can say that is going to be too offensive to the GOP base. The pearl clutchers in DC can't seem to get what the deal is with Trump.

MH370 (none / 0) (#18)
    by Uncle Chip on Thu Jul 30, 2015 at 08:52:30 AM EST
    The economy of Reunion Island is on the verge of getting a big boost:

If the wing part is confirmed as coming from MH370,

a massive air, land and sea search is expected to get under way in the region for other debris from the aircraft.

A torn-off part of the aircraft suggests that other debris would have drifted from the crash site - and the discovery of the flaperon is a powerful clue as to where other pieces would have ended up.

If the Indian Ocean currents have carried a large piece of a wing some 3,000 miles, there is a possibility that smaller items from the plane, particularly luggage, seat cushions and blankets could have been carried to the Reunion coastline.

The price of a hotel room is about to soar.

Go to Jail. Go Directly to Jail (none / 0) (#19)
    by CoralGables on Thu Jul 30, 2015 at 09:03:42 AM EST
    In Spring Hill, FL, a man visiting a county jail parked on the sidewalk and was asked by a police officer to move his car off the sidewalk.

The driver does what any smart driver would do and moves the car from the sidewalk.

What he does next got him a short walk into the jail for an overnight visit and a $4000 bail.

Amy Schumer's birth control truth bomb (none / 0) (#21)
    by Anne on Thu Jul 30, 2015 at 09:07:13 AM EST