New ISIS Video Warns Obama and Shows Beheading of U.S. Journalist

Truly horrifying. al Furqan Media (aka Furqan Foundation for Media Production) and al Hayat Media Center have just released a video threatening the United States if it continues strikes against ISIS.

In the video, which I won't link to but have watched, U.S. journalist James Wright Foley is beheaded. Here is the FBI notice of Foley's kidnapping in Syria in 2012. In 2011, he was held by Libyan government forces.

Just before Foley is beheaded, the beheader, who speaks in English, says:

Any attempt by you, Obama, to deny the Muslims their right to live in safety under the Islamic Califphate will result in the bloodshed of your people.

After that, the beheader shows U.S. journalist Steven Joel Sotloff in the same position, and says "The life of this American citizen Obama depends on your next decision." [More...]

Sotloff was kidnapped in Syria in August, 2013. He wrote for Time Magazine, and his work also appeared in World Affairs Journal and Foreign Policy Magazine (paywall). Here is his Twitter feed, dormant since his kidnapping. Here's a photo of him that accompanied one of his articles.

The video is widely available, including on You Tube where it undoubtedly will come down soon. Twitter has links to the al Furqan posting of it.

Interestingly, a few journalists and ISIS supporters yesterday were tweeting they expected a reporter to be beheaded soon. I'll see if I can find those tweets again.

< Grand Jury to Begin Investigation of Michael Brown Killing

Oh dear God.... (5.00 / 1) (#1)
    by magster on Tue Aug 19, 2014 at 05:05:08 PM EST
    The pressure to increase military involvement will be immense now. And, a part of me will rejoice at dropping bombs on these a$$holes. They are ruthless.

This is my reaction too (none / 0) (#18)
    by Green26 on Tue Aug 19, 2014 at 08:40:24 PM EST
    They are a finite number of bad people who deserve to be dealt with, harshly.

Comments with personal (5.00 / 1) (#12)
    by Jeralyn on Tue Aug 19, 2014 at 06:07:42 PM EST
    attacks on other commenters will be deleted. Everyone is entitled to their view, if posted civilly. If you disagree with a commenter, say so and why, without personal attacks. Comments like "x's views sicken me" have no place here. They degrade the level of discourse and no one wants to wade through insults, at least I don't, and it's my site.

There are thousands of forums on the internet to post your comments. If you choose to post here, you will have to follow our rules.

You know, Osama bin Ladin (1.00 / 1) (#7)
    by jimakaPPJ on Tue Aug 19, 2014 at 05:46:48 PM EST
    said it in March of 1997.

REPORTER: Mr. Bin Ladin, will the end of the United States' presence in Saudi Arabia, their withdrawal, will that end your call for jihad against the United States and against the US ?

BIN LADIN: .... So, the driving-away jihad against the US does not stop with its withdrawal from the Arabian peninsula,

but rather it must desist from aggressive intervention against Muslims in the whole world

Interview with Peter Arnett then with CNN.

And yes, I know I am being repetitive but look.

How many times do we have to be told?? This is a religious war whether we want to admit it or not.

Please (5.00 / 4) (#8)
    by Ga6thDem on Tue Aug 19, 2014 at 05:48:31 PM EST
    crawl under your bed and remember too that one of Osama's thing is to draw us into a multi decade war to bankrupt the country.

Jim, please stay on topic (none / 0) (#13)
    by Jeralyn on Tue Aug 19, 2014 at 06:08:43 PM EST
    Beyond horrifying and barbaric. (none / 0) (#2)
    by Angel on Tue Aug 19, 2014 at 05:13:03 PM EST

Oh jeez. (none / 0) (#3)
    by sarcastic unnamed one on Tue Aug 19, 2014 at 05:13:44 PM EST

Well said (none / 0) (#4)
    by CaptHowdy on Tue Aug 19, 2014 at 05:31:11 PM EST
    I expected a sword or something (none / 0) (#5)
    by CaptHowdy on Tue Aug 19, 2014 at 05:33:29 PM EST
    Not a big Swiss Army knife.  Damn.

I watched one of those videos once, (none / 0) (#14)
    by Mr Natural on Tue Aug 19, 2014 at 07:00:53 PM EST
    ... Never again.

We (none / 0) (#6)
    by lentinel on Tue Aug 19, 2014 at 05:35:36 PM EST
    were not in their crosshairs.

Now we are.

First (none / 0) (#24)
    by Politalkix on Tue Aug 19, 2014 at 10:03:00 PM EST
    First they came for the Yazidis, and I did not speak out--Because I was not a Yazidi.

Then they came for the Kurds, and I did not speak out-- Because I was not a Kurd.

Then they came for the Christians in Iraq, and I did not speak out-- Because I was not a Christian in Iraq.

Then they came for me--and there was no one left to speak for me.

Absolutely terrible (none / 0) (#15)
    by Jack203 on Tue Aug 19, 2014 at 08:07:52 PM EST
    Psychopaths.  This is what ten years of brutal will do to a population.

The less involved with both the Sunni and Shiite the better.  I've only advocated kicking their asses if they attack our friends the Kurds.  As terrible as it was, it doesn't changes too much for me.   We could blow them up and 2 more psychos will pop up for everyone we kill.

And I can't believe Jeralyn (none / 0) (#16)
    by Jack203 on Tue Aug 19, 2014 at 08:09:56 PM EST
    watched the movie.

Game of Thrones is one thing, not in real life.  I feel sick even thinking about it.

Perhaps she feels a responsibility (none / 0) (#17)
    by CaptHowdy on Tue Aug 19, 2014 at 08:25:50 PM EST
    To know what she is talking about

watching it was the only way to (none / 0) (#19)
    by Jeralyn on Tue Aug 19, 2014 at 08:59:01 PM EST
    hear what they were saying so I could quote it for the post.

By the way, the beheader has a British accent (British experts are saying he's British.) He's also left handed.

I watched it (none / 0) (#20)
    by CaptHowdy on Tue Aug 19, 2014 at 09:02:42 PM EST
    I always do. Then I say why the f@ck did I watch that.

Obviously the air strikes are (none / 0) (#21)
    by Militarytracy on Tue Aug 19, 2014 at 09:04:02 PM EST
    Having a debilitating affect on ISIS, even though their propaganda machine has attempted to deny it.

Condolences to the family and friends of James Foley.  I can't even imagine what they have been through.

Hard to imagine which would be worse (5.00 / 1) (#22)
    by CaptHowdy on Tue Aug 19, 2014 at 09:10:13 PM EST
    To be Foleys loved one or Sotloffs

Is there any way he can be rescued? (none / 0) (#23)
    by Militarytracy on Tue Aug 19, 2014 at 09:22:24 PM EST
    It is unbearable to imagine.