"You Don't Have to Like Her": You Do Need to Vote

Oprah on the TD Jakes Show, to air Thursday.

There really is no choice people. All the people sitting around talking about they can't decide...You hear this all the time, people saying "I just don't know if I like her." She not comin' over to your house. You don’t have to like her. You do not have to like her. Do you like this country? You better get out there and vote. (my emphasis)

“Do you freedom and liberty? Do you like this country? Okay. Do you like democracy or do you want a demagogue? Okay, there you go.

I happen to like Hillary Clinton. I've met her a few times, asked her questions at campaign and blogger events and heard her speak in person up close at house parties and in big crowds many times over the past decade.

But for those of you who don't like her, Oprah is right. Please don't let your emotions about someone you've never met and probably never will meet put our nation's future and our children's future in jeopardy. [More...]

This election matters, on every issue, from our Supreme Court justices and federal district and appeals court judges, to health care, immigration, the economy, social security, Roe v. Wade, education and foreign policy. Donald Trump would be the most unqualified and disrespected President in the history of our nation. He is mocked around the world for good reason. We deserve better than (in my opinion) a narcissistic, carnival barker who doesn't treat all people as equal and just makes stuff up as he goes along, either because he doesn't have the attention span to learn about even the most fundamental issues or he can't be bothered.

Tell Donald Trump with your vote that our country is not for sale to the shrillest politician. Let him buy his media company and start his news channel. Let him bring his lawsuits. Someday he will learn that revenge is a dish better served cold. I hope his media company is a colossal failure, and I suspect anyone foolish enough to invest will lose their money because it will fail to generate ratings after initial curiosity wears off and he will follow his typical path of putting the business into bankruptcy. This may just be speculation, but there is a sucker born every minute. Please don't be one of them.

Don't think for a minute your vote doesn't matter. Donald Trump's supporters, however dwindling in number, are delusional and filled with hate and they will vote. Make sure you do too.

We get the government we elect. The right to vote is precious. Please use it. Our democracy and freedom, for generations to come, depend on it.

< U.S. Sailor Killed During Battle to Retake Mosul

i like her too. heck, i've always liked her, (5.00 / 2) (#2)
    by cpinva on Sun Oct 23, 2016 at 03:15:12 AM EST
    since I first encountered her (on tv, not in person) during the 92 campaign. she's smart, compassionate, funny, and actually knows what she's talking about. heck, what's not to like? if I'd been given a choice, as to who I wanted as a big sister (I have no sisters, so I'm not hurting any feelings here), she'd have been the one.

yeah, I'd always have been compared to her, as far as school and accomplishments go (I had to put up with that with my older brother), but there are worse things in life. sure, she's not perfect, but who is? by comparison to Donald Trump, she is damn near perfect.

I proudly voted for her in the primary, and i'll leave the voting booth next month, with a grin on my face, having voted for her in the general.

the whole "LIKE" (5.00 / 1) (#3)
    by Ga6thDem on Sun Oct 23, 2016 at 06:40:06 AM EST
    thing is really lazy analysis.

Hillary isn't 'likeable enough' (5.00 / 1) (#5)
    by honora on Sun Oct 23, 2016 at 08:53:44 AM EST
    Oprah went on and on about the inspirational Obama in 2008.  It really turned me off. He was all historic and Hillary was chopped liver. So much for Oprah's empowering women. This Hillary comment puts the nail in the coffin.  Hillary is the most qualified person ever to run for office. She is funny, compassionate, pragmatic and smart as a whip.  What are people really asking for? Why a man, of course.  Reminds me of all that wanting to have a beer with Bush crap. No one ever mentioned that the guy didn't drink, but we supposedly all wanted to have a beer with him. I will be more excited about voting for Hillary for president than I ever have been voting for anything in my lifetime! I am ecstatic about Hillary and disgusted by Oprah.  She used her platform to diminish Hillary. At least, she didn't do the vote for Hillary to protect Obama's legacy crap.

i found this quite interesting (none / 0) (#1)
    by The Addams Family on Sun Oct 23, 2016 at 03:06:05 AM EST
    a literally un-American take on our election

it's based partly in Lacanian psychoanalysis

the comments raise some good points, too

The argument works for both (none / 0) (#4)
    by jimakaPPJ on Sun Oct 23, 2016 at 08:13:47 AM EST
    you don't have to like Trump. You just have to believe in his policies.

The Difference is With Trump (none / 0) (#6)
    by RickyJim on Sun Oct 23, 2016 at 09:29:16 AM EST
    you have less confidence that he could implement his policies.  You also have to worry about his short attention span and inability to seriously evaluate advice from his advisors due to his mistaken belief in the extent of his own knowledge.

Then the question becomes.... (none / 0) (#8)
    by jimakaPPJ on Sun Oct 23, 2016 at 10:39:55 AM EST
    Should I vote for Hillary because I like her policies?

And that I should not vote for Trump because he can't implement or that he doesn't take advice.

On the implementation issue I don't think that Trump's supporters believe he can implement without Congress. What they do believe is that he will try and depend on his supporters to pressure Congress on the individual issues.

On the taking advice side you have a point. But doing things his way has proved successful for him. Will it work for the election?? Well, the talking heads all tell us no and they may be right. But as Curly said, "The day ain't over yet."

On a side note I think that both base groups like the candidate and are engaged in trying to convince everyone else that the opponent is mean and nasty. The media works this daily.

Unfortunately in the reality-based world ... (none / 0) (#12)
    by Erehwon on Sun Oct 23, 2016 at 11:41:11 AM EST
    only one opponent has been mean and nasty all his life.

That's your opinion (none / 0) (#15)
    by jimakaPPJ on Sun Oct 23, 2016 at 11:54:07 AM EST
    but I've seen lots of stories about the good things Trump has done. Accurate? Don't know. Don't care.

It's his stated policies on immigration, foreign policy and the economy that attracts me...

On a personal note... I broke a tooth this morning. I will be in my dentists chair, hopefully, at 8:00 AM tomorrow. He's quite a cad and has some other traits I don't like.

But he is one fine dentists with a record that shows his ability.

The funniest part ... (none / 0) (#17)
    by Yman on Sun Oct 23, 2016 at 12:19:02 PM EST

But he is one fine dentists with a record that shows his ability.

... is you're using this as an analogy for why you're voting for Trump.  If Trump was a dentist, he would be the one who's never seen the inside of a human mouth, has no interest in learning about the human mouth, doesn't prepare for a discussion about the human mouth, and makes commercials claiming he can cure all their dental ailments by some magical dental tool filled with pixie dust.

On a side note, there's another obvious reason you may want to avoid dental analogies.  I'm thinking given his own statements and the number of accusations against him - "Dr." Trump would probably have trouble attracting many female patients.

They are Both Scary (none / 0) (#7)
    by RickyJim on Sun Oct 23, 2016 at 10:28:43 AM EST
    Ross Douhat has a good column today on why he is concerned about the next presidency.  But I think even he will admit that Hillary is less scary.

Conservatives (5.00 / 1) (#10)
    by Ga6thDem on Sun Oct 23, 2016 at 11:00:44 AM EST
    generally are saying both are scary because of Trump's obvious unfitness for office and they know Hillary will pretty much destroy conservatism. Most conservatives know this is the end of the line for them and they certainly are scared of that fact.

For Me, It's Her Interventionism (none / 0) (#11)
    by RickyJim on Sun Oct 23, 2016 at 11:20:22 AM EST
    that scares me.  I see little restraint in her history of using American military power for vague benefits to the US.  As Douhat put it,
    Almost every crisis that has come upon the West in the last 15 years has its roots in this establishmentarian type of folly. The Iraq War, which liberals prefer to remember as a conflict conjured by a neoconservative cabal, was actually the work of a bipartisan interventionist consensus, pushed hard by George W. Bush but embraced as well by a large slice of center-left opinion that included Tony Blair and more than half of Senate Democrats.
    And her Putin bashing in the last debate didn't inspire confidence either.

Trump's base is not conservatives (none / 0) (#13)
    by jimakaPPJ on Sun Oct 23, 2016 at 11:42:40 AM EST
    Never has been.

He appeals to conservatives on some issues.

Hillary none.

His base position is that the elites of both parties have done their best to maintain the status quo and that it is all an argument over who get the best parking places.

As I have said before. The Republican party is either drastically changed...if Trump wins...or replaced by a new party if Trump loses.

And the Democrats continue their movement to becoming an identified and embraced Socialist Party. Bernie showed us that the young voter wants that.

A lot of his base fits neatly into ... (none / 0) (#16)
    by Erehwon on Sun Oct 23, 2016 at 11:54:34 AM EST
    the basket of deplorables.

And I assume none of those various Bush/Reagan appointees, who are supporting Hillary, are no longer conservative. Right?

Why's Brooklyn Bridge not available for sale when I want to buy it?

Ross Douthat is a right-wing a$$hat. (5.00 / 1) (#14)
    by Donald from Hawaii on Sun Oct 23, 2016 at 11:48:23 AM EST
    He is a converted Roman Catholic who's gone so far as to suggest that Pope Francis is perhaps heretical, for desiring that the Church be less dogmatic on LGBT, family and women's issues and more concerned about the plight of the poor.

Never mind that Douthat has absolutely no theological qualifications for writing on the subject of church doctrine. Rather, the inherent problem with his unyielding view of Roman Catholicism is that it is entirely subordinate to a politically partisan narrative, one which actually has very little to do with the core essence of faith itself.

Likewise, Douthat's divisive and systematic demonization of liberals and progressives often borders on outright slander, and represents the sort of unyielding populist demagogy that Jeralyn and others are warning against.

So what he is saying (none / 0) (#9)
    by jimakaPPJ on Sun Oct 23, 2016 at 10:49:50 AM EST
    is that Hillary will do nothing to change the direction and will go along with the group think that has got us here.

I think we all knew that.

The question is do we accept where we are and were we are going?

Planning on voting for Hillary (none / 0) (#18)
    by CoralGables on Sun Oct 23, 2016 at 12:31:27 PM EST
    when early voting opens in the morning in Florida. Can't take the chance of dying before Nov 8 and not getting a chance to have my vote recorded for the best presidential candidate of my voting lifetime.