Hillary Picks Tim Kaine as Running Mate

Hillary Clinton has picked Tim Kaine as her running mate. What a dull, uninspiring, lackluster choice. He seems as exciting as Mike Pence. But, it really didn't matter who she picked. No one will honestly claim they have decided to vote for Trump because she picked Kaine instead of someone else.

Still, it's disappointing Hillary went the so called safe route instead of adding a refreshing newcomer or a minority to the ticket. I wonder if she would have chosen Kaine if Trump hadn't chosen Pence. If not, then her choice is reactive and responsive. I'd rather she grabbed the initiative and made bold choices.

Since Trump will have made himself unacceptable to everyone but the most angry, marginalized and under-informed voters, and his own children, I'm still confident she'll win in November. But I'm not buying she's "thrilled" to make this announcement.

Update: Nate Silver at 538 analyzes Kaine's likely effect on Hillary's chances in November. He says he'll help a little, but not much.

< Munich: Lone Shooter, Native German, Killed Himself

I was kind (5.00 / 5) (#6)
    by Ga6thDem on Fri Jul 22, 2016 at 08:59:55 PM EST
    of meh on Kaine until I read up on his background. Jeralyn, I would think that you mind move that way after finding out he's been an advocate for the underdog for a long time.

And against (5.00 / 3) (#7)
    by CaptHowdy on Fri Jul 22, 2016 at 09:01:05 PM EST
    The death penalty

And 100% rating by planned parenthood (5.00 / 3) (#11)
    by Molly Bloom on Fri Jul 22, 2016 at 09:53:23 PM EST
    Despite being personally against abortion on religious grounds.

"

So I have taken the position, which is quite common among Catholics -- I have got a personal feeling about abortion, but the right rule for government is to let women make their own decisions."

Kaine noted that the Supreme Court on Monday is expected to issue a ruling in a case challening the "onerous regulations" Texas has imposed on abortion clinics.

"We fought those off in Virginia when I was governor because you have got to let people make their own moral choices when it comes to matters of reproduction, intimacy and relationships" said Kaine

not really (none / 0) (#10)
    by Jeralyn on Fri Jul 22, 2016 at 09:52:47 PM EST
    see here

They say (none / 0) (#14)
    by CaptHowdy on Fri Jul 22, 2016 at 10:20:39 PM EST
    They have their talking points all ready to go for dealing with this stuff.

I hope so.

Hillarys has made her bed.  Now we all have to sleep in it.

and at least (none / 0) (#12)
    by Jeralyn on Fri Jul 22, 2016 at 09:56:46 PM EST
    even in 2006 (none / 0) (#13)
    by Jeralyn on Fri Jul 22, 2016 at 10:04:21 PM EST
    I called him a dismal choice when he was chosen to give the Dem. response to the SOTU -- as did many progressive dems

Well, let's make some lemonade... (5.00 / 7) (#16)
    by magster on Sat Jul 23, 2016 at 12:58:22 AM EST
    Kaine cut his teeth on suing racist landlords. Trump cut his teeth by being one. There's probably a good commercial in there somewhere.

Listening live to Kaine (5.00 / 5) (#34)
    by MKS on Sat Jul 23, 2016 at 01:06:38 PM EST
    He is better than I thought.

Conversational. Humble. Real.  Easy to listen to.

Very interesting background.  His wife was the daughter of the Republican Governor of Virginia who integrated the public schools and sent his kids to integrated schools.   Kaine sent his kids to same public schools with large minority enrollment.

His son is a Marine (5.00 / 1) (#35)
    by MKS on Sat Jul 23, 2016 at 01:09:50 PM EST
    who is deploying to Europe.   Kaine noted that his son is supporting NATO.   Tagged Trump.

Repeatedly jabbed Trump without sounding mean.

Spoke repeatedly in Spanish--very well, with a very good accent.

I really like the guy.

Pretty (5.00 / 3) (#36)
    by FlJoe on Sat Jul 23, 2016 at 01:12:04 PM EST
    darn good, a large dollop of humble optimism, pointed but not mean spirited criticism of Trump, heartfelt empathy for the underprivileged and victims of gun violence, also a pretty enthusiastic cheerleader for Hillary.

Color me thoroughly (5.00 / 2) (#37)
    by MKS on Sat Jul 23, 2016 at 01:14:55 PM EST
    surprised.   He is really good.

A degree from Harvard Law (5.00 / 5) (#40)
    by MKS on Sat Jul 23, 2016 at 01:27:40 PM EST
    and he goes to a civil rights practice.  For 17 years.   Fights against the big boys.  He earned my respect with that.

VP (none / 0) (#50)
    by mogal on Sat Jul 23, 2016 at 03:17:40 PM EST
    There are a lot of comments like yours on DK.  Sorry I missed his speech.

I was prepared for "boring," but (none / 0) (#59)
    by christinep on Sat Jul 23, 2016 at 04:57:36 PM EST
    Tim Kaine is definitely not boring.  For me, he spoke to inspiration & to a wanting to believe; he spoke as one who really is grateful for all that he has and as one who wants to give back/to help the society.  I was especially impressed with his positive background in civil rights and the entire diversity area. His determination to ameliorate gun violence is commendable.

This man, I believe, will be persuasive. His ease with himself, his unforced warmth ... both husband & I actually applauded the TV...and, looking at each other to see if we were both nuts for converting instantly to Kaine Fans, we said almost simultaneously that this first impression was the strongest, most powerful "yes" response to a VP that either of us had ever felt.  Then, friend Susan called--Susan, who is quite reserved and not known for becoming the big advocate for someone at first blush--and, before anything else said, she blurted "I love him ... I can't believe how good he made me feel...he seems so down-to earth."

So, there you have it.  From all that I've read about him (scanning, quick reads) he appears to be what HRC calls a "pragmatic progressive."  Actually, for both of them. what I am so drawn to is their emphasis on "delivering" what they promise. Practically speaking, Kaine could be expected to be a key asset in Virginia, Florida, & in parts of the Ohio blue-collar community. Kaine seems to me to be one who can go the distance with the best of them ... and, the VP debate should be fun to watch.  I'm betting that Tim Kaine can trounce an opponent with a smile, and offer a hand to lift him up afterward.

Absolutely no one... (5.00 / 1) (#21)
    by kdog on Sat Jul 23, 2016 at 10:54:02 AM EST
    will go Trump over the Kaine pick...but it's not the extra motivation for the more progressive or the youth to get to the polls.

That's what she needed with the selection imo...a poll driver for the Occupy, youth, and hard left sets.

Pick tells me she thinks victory is assured and Kaine is who she most wants to work with. It may well be assured, but let's hope that ain't counting eggs before they hatch.

Agreed. (2.00 / 1) (#25)
    by KeysDan on Sat Jul 23, 2016 at 12:08:22 PM EST
    Mrs. Clinton apparently concluded that there was no political need to push the historic character of her candidacy.  And, instead, looked to a solid and unceremonious politician rather than run the political risk of another woman or a minority.

Moreover, the strategy seems to be one that underscores by distinction the lunatic bling of Trump and his winger cypher, with the Democratic ticket's unflashy sanity.  A contrast between the historic and prehistoric.

Of course, nothing is risk free. As you note, kdog, there is a need for an energizer to bring home the dangers of a Trump presidency to those just getting around to jettisoning the entertainment value of Trump and recognizing the  consequences of Trump. And, move to the importance of policy, experience and governance.--the antithesis to some of this season.

A risk, too, is the retro-nature of the selection. The fluency in Spanish of Kaine is often mentioned--but that seems old-fashioned to me. If facility in the Spanish language is to be an asset, why not look to an Hispanic. The Kaine selection may be in the mode of the Biden selection, but Mrs. Clinton's historic candidacy has been, in large measure, accepted by her accomplishments during her lengthy public service.

Not that there is no misogyny around. Far from it, but it is not much, if any, of a factor for Democrats, and, so second nature to Republicans that they call for her execution with as much concern for maligning a woman as was due process a concern at the Salem witch hunts. So, in my view, having Senator Warren as a running mate would have pushed the historic candidacy of Mrs. Clinton all right, but with strikes of lightening and enlightenment.

It's unflashy... (none / 0) (#39)
    by kdog on Sat Jul 23, 2016 at 01:21:47 PM EST
    But sane? I don't know my brother, I don't know.

Sane compared to the GOP is no measure of sanity. Son of Sam manages that very small feat.

Nobody really selling economic or foreign policy sanity. Crazy and crazier.

The contrast that HRC is showing (none / 0) (#64)
    by christinep on Sat Jul 23, 2016 at 05:34:08 PM EST
    IMO, the Clinton/Kaine ticked is meant to reinforce the experience, stability, and depth of governing knowledge that these times call for in our country.  That statement, reality will stand in stark contrast to the shoot-from-the-wherever method of Trump and his (maybe) nonentity sidekick Pence.  As a newly-minted Kaine fan--see my laudatory comment about the selection above--I think that these two pragmatic progressives will be found to have targeted quite well.

A high voter turnout of minority voters, meeting or exceeding President Obama's turnout, has to be a special focus for the Democratic nominees this year.  Meanwhile, approximating the level of the white vote four years ago is very important ... in that regard, Kaine helps.  Clinton & Caine are playing to their strengths, and that is wise.  As for additional outreach to the more liberal segment of our party, it may be that the reality suggests the most successful strategy would be to utilize the campaign efforts of Sherrod Brown, Elizabeth Warren, Tom Perez, and Bernie Sanders directly ... for that constituency, they would make the best & most trusted argument for HRC.

Playing to one's strength while also trying to expand the natural base may well be the smartest approach in these unpredictable times.  For that reason alone, it makes a lot of sense to stress the unbeatable value of experience, demonstrated governance rather than risking appearance and characterization as a ticket trying too hard to be original.  For many people, it is a major leap to vote for a woman for president ... remember the importance of breaking that barrier, because it is easier said than done ... for a number of people that I've encountered, they might need to get past the first barrier before adding another "first."

Before I forget: Check out the persuasive power of a personality that exudes the common touch.  It is a good bet Tim Kaine sure has it (and that is often 50% of getting it done.)  And, also, recheck the reactions among Latinos of all ages to Kaine's bilingual ease ... in the circumstances of his background, it may have more of a positive effect than might have been initially thought.

Agreed. (none / 0) (#74)
    by KeysDan on Sat Jul 23, 2016 at 07:06:20 PM EST
    This contrast was opined in a comment I made before the announcement of Kaine, as in... if it is Kaine....the strategy is likely....

I agree with you (none / 0) (#22)
    by CaptHowdy on Sat Jul 23, 2016 at 11:07:44 AM EST
    Completely

Hillary's VP Pick (5.00 / 1) (#56)
    by mogal on Sat Jul 23, 2016 at 03:34:58 PM EST
    I think she picked him for many reasons, but mainly because the "love of neighbor" shines out of him.  I was depressed about this election until she ended her speech yesterday by saying. LOVE TRUMPS HATE, and that is what we now have going for us.  "Let us Rejoice"

Who cares (4.83 / 6) (#24)
    by jbindc on Sat Jul 23, 2016 at 12:06:24 PM EST
    If the VP is not "exciting"?  What are we, 5 years old and need to have everything be fun?

If you can't find excitement in the fact that the TOP of the ticket is a woman for the first time, or if you can't be properly scared at what the other party offers, then there's no hope for you.

HRC picked someone who could step in the job of POTUS if needed.  Kaine wouldn't have been my first choice, but he is the BEST choice for the requirements. The other candidates just didn't have the chops at this time.

I'm so over this CONSTANT need of voters to be "excited" by candidates  and entertained with thing like big rallies and "what's cool". Can't grownups get "excited" about smart, experienced, and competent people who are willing to step up and do the job?

Presidential elections became a reality show long before Donald Trump came along and it's disgusting.

The competition is so pathetic (3.00 / 1) (#28)
    by Militarytracy on Sat Jul 23, 2016 at 12:27:28 PM EST
    I could have got more than just the 1st woman President out of this.

Always make the most out of a crisis

Armando just tweeted (5.00 / 2) (#32)
    by jbindc on Sat Jul 23, 2016 at 12:54:02 PM EST
    This is 1 of the greatest rollout appearances ever. Tim Kaine has flipped the script. He's gonna be great at the politics. I'm fully onboard.

Armando? (none / 0) (#75)
    by RickyJim on Sat Jul 23, 2016 at 07:34:47 PM EST
    I gather people who haven't the foggiest idea who Armando is aren't worth an explanation.

Armando is also known as Big Tent (none / 0) (#77)
    by caseyOR on Sat Jul 23, 2016 at 07:45:49 PM EST
    Democrat. BTD to those who know and love him.

He is a sometimes poster here. He can also be found at the big Orange and on Twitter.

I believe you are shortsighted (3.00 / 1) (#29)
    by CaptHowdy on Sat Jul 23, 2016 at 12:40:09 PM EST
    In dismissing a large part of the left

Then let them not vote (5.00 / 1) (#30)
    by jbindc on Sat Jul 23, 2016 at 12:41:59 PM EST
    And if Trump wins, I don't want to hear one.single.thing out of them ever again.

Kaine is rocking his speech, by the way.

I think a little time (3.00 / 1) (#38)
    by KeysDan on Sat Jul 23, 2016 at 01:15:45 PM EST
    is needed for many of the stalwarts. No need to write anyone off who may need to let off some steam. The disappointment that some may hold for the Kaine selection will give way soon for most.  While I believe that Mrs. Clinton could have been bolder and less cautious, Senator Kaine is a liberal who probably needed to tuck in some of his beliefs so as to not only be elected, but also, govern in Virginia.  I am sure the Clinton campaign studied this selection from all angles, including seemingly little things, such as the hard, and strong sound of Clinton/Kaine.

At least we got 3s (5.00 / 1) (#57)
    by CaptHowdy on Sat Jul 23, 2016 at 04:51:26 PM EST
    Better than the 1 I got a couple of days ago from that person for correctly predicting it would be Kaine.

Yes, that prediction, (5.00 / 1) (#65)
    by KeysDan on Sat Jul 23, 2016 at 05:39:06 PM EST
    although not your first choice, did seem to merit a troll rating. What a difference a day or so makes.  For me, the "3" is an upgrade from my "2".  I will just have to work harder on my comments, if I only know what it was so troubling to the reader, save for not liking what I feel or believe.

It seems that (none / 0) (#63)
    by KeysDan on Sat Jul 23, 2016 at 05:28:23 PM EST
    the purpose of the "l" has been learned. Not always sure what it is that makes matters become unglued. Perhaps, a study is in order.

I am notably impressed (5.00 / 3) (#67)
    by CoralGables on Sat Jul 23, 2016 at 05:44:02 PM EST
    by the discovery of the 3 and the 4. Two buttons that have suffered ignominious abandonment like red-headed stepchildren to the 1, 2. and 5.

Fwiw (none / 0) (#33)
    by CaptHowdy on Sat Jul 23, 2016 at 12:56:23 PM EST
    I agree.  He is doing a pretty terrific job.

Not a large part, Cap'n. (none / 0) (#62)
    by Donald from Hawaii on Sat Jul 23, 2016 at 05:25:59 PM EST
    Just the loud part.

A smaller part this afternoon (none / 0) (#68)
    by CaptHowdy on Sat Jul 23, 2016 at 05:45:35 PM EST
    Than this morning.  That rollout was an encouraging thing to see.  Not just because it was so artfully done but also in contrast to the complete clusterfu@k that was the republican VP rollout.

Sometimes experience in politics is not a bad thing.

So wise, (2.00 / 1) (#46)
    by JanaM on Sat Jul 23, 2016 at 02:53:10 PM EST
    jb, so wise. I agree with everything.

Good points, but (none / 0) (#61)
    by KeysDan on Sat Jul 23, 2016 at 05:23:16 PM EST
    one can find excitement in the fact that a woman is at the top of the ticket for the first time and be properly scared at what the other party offers without totally dismissing the value-added potential of a certain excitement from the running mate.  It may be rigid, if not hapless, to judge those of different, but reasonable, expectations as hopeless. Particularly, because it is so essential to elect Mrs. Clinton and defeat Mr. Trump.

The excitement generated does not have to be of the Tom Cruise/jump on Oprah's couch variety, but it can be in the prospect of supporting and motivating turn out. The qualities and unpretentious bearing of Senator Kaine may well be just the excitement to augment enthusiasm and interest.

In a perfect world (4.00 / 1) (#19)
    by Coral on Sat Jul 23, 2016 at 07:08:09 AM EST
    I would have liked Perez or Warren. However, the GOP convention and Trump's bizarre behavior has frightened me so much about November, that I am somewhat relieved about HRC going for safety. Kaine has won a lot of elections in purple Virginia and fought the good fight in a quiet way, so I'm fine with him.

I was nervous about Castro and Perez because they don't have the experience of several electoral battles. I'd keep an eye on both for the future.

Warren is a rising power in the Senate. She can push Clinton to the left on finance and consumer protection. HRC's first task is to get a Supreme Court justice confirmed. Need Dems to take the Senate for that, and losing Brown, Warren, or Booker could have been devastating.

What we need is a more progressive Congress and a less radical GOP. Maybe real progressive pushes from below can help make that happen.

Also (5.00 / 7) (#20)
    by FlJoe on Sat Jul 23, 2016 at 07:36:28 AM EST
    Sherrod Brown, one of my faves. Barring disaster in the fall, the next set of epic battles will be fought in the Senate not in the White house and certainly not in the VP's office. We need Brown, Warren, Sanders, Booker, Franken and hopefully Feingold to lead the charge.

One of the overarching emerging themes emerging from Hillary is the steady hand vs. the loose cannon. This "safe pick" plays directly to that narrative, which IMO is good move.

Bernie in the Senate too (3.00 / 1) (#26)
    by sallywally on Sat Jul 23, 2016 at 12:16:09 PM EST
    A fair number of influential, strong progressives to keep her aware of the progressive side of the party. This is hopeful, I think. The people in Congress are all gaining and exercising power and will continue to do so.

That's the ballgame (4.00 / 2) (#43)
    by MKS on Sat Jul 23, 2016 at 01:47:58 PM EST
    Getting more Democrats in the House.  Making the Senate and House more progressive.

Hillary won't get in the way of a progressive Congress.

Bernie and his supporters could really do some good if they can help deliver a Democratic and Progressive Congress.

Um where have they been? (none / 0) (#48)
    by JanaM on Sat Jul 23, 2016 at 03:06:49 PM EST
    What's kept them from doing this kind of "good" for the last 8 years?

They just don't seem all that interested in that kind of hard work.

Hope Springs Eternal (none / 0) (#49)
    by MKS on Sat Jul 23, 2016 at 03:13:21 PM EST
    Time to start, then.

Seriously? You don't know what has kept (none / 0) (#51)
    by Peter G on Sat Jul 23, 2016 at 03:23:09 PM EST
    the Democrats -- progressive or moderate -- from doing much of anything good for the last eight years that requires Congressional action? Where have you been?

I think she means (none / 0) (#54)
    by jbindc on Sat Jul 23, 2016 at 03:28:08 PM EST
    Where have Bernie supporters been?  We know they haven't been organizing and voting....

If so, I apologize (none / 0) (#55)
    by Peter G on Sat Jul 23, 2016 at 03:33:31 PM EST
    I do hate pronouns that seem to have ambiguous referents.

And how do "we" know that? (none / 0) (#58)
    by jondee on Sat Jul 23, 2016 at 04:54:54 PM EST
    my guess (1.00 / 2) (#45)
    by linea on Sat Jul 23, 2016 at 02:38:18 PM EST
    she picked him cuz he's 5-10 (bio says that so he may actually be shorter). most male politicians are well over six feet and would make her look short and dumpy standing next to her so she picked him for the optics.

I'm gonna guess (5.00 / 3) (#53)
    by jbindc on Sat Jul 23, 2016 at 03:27:07 PM EST
    That had nothing to do with it.

I had not considered it (none / 0) (#66)
    by CaptHowdy on Sat Jul 23, 2016 at 05:41:31 PM EST
    But it's as good a reason as I have heard.

Cheney is at a height disadvantage to Kaine (5.00 / 2) (#69)
    by CoralGables on Sat Jul 23, 2016 at 05:48:35 PM EST
    so certainly he was also on the short list.

thank you!! (none / 0) (#76)
    by linea on Sat Jul 23, 2016 at 07:42:40 PM EST
    obviously not the ONLY reason but i'm 5-5 and if i was applying for the position of "commander in chief" i wouldn't want a 6-2 man making me appear diminutive to an audience.

One Guess (none / 0) (#1)
    by RickyJim on Fri Jul 22, 2016 at 08:29:56 PM EST
    The fact the Kaine's senate successor will be appointed by Democratic Governor Terry McAuliffe might be one reason for this choice over Sen. Warren.

Just listening to a conversation (none / 0) (#2)
    by CaptHowdy on Fri Jul 22, 2016 at 08:32:56 PM EST
    About how this could get dicy because the senate could end up 50-50 and this could put a critical special election in an iffy state right in the middle of Hillarys first term

McCauliffe might pick himself.

Rumo has it that the (none / 0) (#5)
    by MKS on Fri Jul 22, 2016 at 08:52:59 PM EST
    Black Caucus likes the Kaine pick because it will provide an opening for perhaps Bobby Scott.

uninspiring but (none / 0) (#3)
    by pitachips on Fri Jul 22, 2016 at 08:47:42 PM EST
    Pretty Standard for presidential elections. Start with the base, then shift to shoring up the "establishment." Hillary is a pretty cautious politician. No way she was going to rock the boat by choosing Warren or anyone else that her donors would be uncomfortable with.

oh (none / 0) (#4)
    by linea on Fri Jul 22, 2016 at 08:51:27 PM EST
    i shoudn't care but was actually hoping for a woman veep. i'm properly disappointed.

Don't understand the (none / 0) (#8)
    by ragebot on Fri Jul 22, 2016 at 09:01:31 PM EST
    Kaine pick.  There seems to be lots of outsider v insider factions both in the Democratic and Republican parties.  Both Trump and Sanders attracted voters as outsiders.  Kaine is definitely an insider and I expected Hillary to try and attract some of Sanders outsider voters with her pick.

But most folks will probably agree this election is Donald v Hillary and both VPs are just along for the ride.

If there's (5.00 / 1) (#9)
    by Ga6thDem on Fri Jul 22, 2016 at 09:29:40 PM EST
    been a VP that changed the electoral math in the last 40 years or so I sure can't think of one.

Last VP to help win was (5.00 / 1) (#15)
    by ragebot on Fri Jul 22, 2016 at 10:54:50 PM EST
    LBJ.

But then (none / 0) (#18)
    by Nemi on Sat Jul 23, 2016 at 06:40:35 AM EST
    a woman has never before been at the top of the ticket, so there's that ... to take into consideration.

This particilar VP and his wife (5.00 / 2) (#42)
    by oculus on Sat Jul 23, 2016 at 01:32:47 PM EST
    Anne Horton (see Wiki re her extensive resume) are a strong asset.

Exactly (5.00 / 3) (#44)
    by Nemi on Sat Jul 23, 2016 at 02:08:35 PM EST
    When earlier it was a question of whether a male VP would make a difference for the male nominee, we now have a new setup where perhaps both the male VP and his wife can make a difference for the female nominee. A whole new dynamic with no presedence to compare it with.

An interesting 'tidbit' from an article in WaPo about Anne Holton:

As a schoolgirl in 1970, she was on the front lines of the fight to desegregate Virginia's public schools. Holton is the daughter of Virginia Gov. A. Linwood Holton (R), who championed integration in a state that was known for its vigorous efforts to resist it. To drive home this point, he sent his daughters to a historically all-black Richmond City public school, escorting Anne Holton's sister to class in a gesture captured in a historic photograph.

Gore in '92? (none / 0) (#70)
    by christinep on Sat Jul 23, 2016 at 05:59:50 PM EST
    How about Lieberman (none / 0) (#71)
    by CaptHowdy on Sat Jul 23, 2016 at 06:01:43 PM EST
    In 2000

Personal disappointment aside (3.50 / 2) (#17)
    by Nemi on Sat Jul 23, 2016 at 06:36:56 AM EST
    to me it makes perfect sense that she would choose a white male as VP as that seems to be the demographic she has the most difficulty attracting.

On the other hand reading the comments to the pages Jeralyn links to is rather disquieting. Picking Tim Kaine certainly doesn't seem to be what's needed to bring back former Democrats or those contemplating leaving the party. Quite the contrary.

What turned me against him reading up on him in the past was learning that though opposed to the death penalty, he still oversaw 11 executions while governor. But maybe he had no choice? (No pun intended.)

And while there's far too much at stake for Hillary Clinton to risk a 'bold' or 'controversial' pick, she still had an amazing lineup of people who could have brought excitement to pick and choose from, and yet ...

Oh well. :(

Armando on twitter not really (none / 0) (#23)
    by Militarytracy on Sat Jul 23, 2016 at 11:30:35 AM EST
    Impressed with Nate Silver posting how "close" the race is, indicates that until after the Democratic Convention completes this is premature counting.

I hope Armando is right since I got riled yesterday and in an argument with Trumpers, because the candidates haven't even squared off yet. Feeling more confident cuz whew...Armando says so too...neener neener neener ;)

Trump going after Kaine on "gifts" (none / 0) (#27)
    by sallywally on Sat Jul 23, 2016 at 12:27:26 PM EST
    and Wikileaks releasing emails showing the DNC discussing how to undermine Bernie's candidacy. Ben Jealous on MSNBC, mouth going 100 miles an hour about this. He irritates me greatly anytime he talks, but I think Debbie Wasserman-Schultz should fall on her sword immediately. And Hillary just thanked her in the list of folks to thank at the start of her appearance in Miami just now.

Ooh (5.00 / 1) (#31)
    by jbindc on Sat Jul 23, 2016 at 12:42:46 PM EST
    The DNC talking about strategy to support the ONLY Democrat in the race.  And DWS wanted Hamilton tickets!

Some of these "leaked" emails (none / 0) (#60)
    by CaptHowdy on Sat Jul 23, 2016 at 05:13:05 PM EST
    Are really laugh out loud.

One they were very "concerned" about on MSNBC said something like the DNC wanted Hillary to win and expected her to win.

OMG they WANTED her to win and actually EXOECTED her to win?!?!?

Help me to the fainting couch.

Another was complaining about the fact that the Sanders campaign was disorganized and wouldn't return phone calls.   Which was responded to by another saying "yeah, but we can't make a big deal out of it"

BUT WHAT ABOUT THE FACT THAT THESE CONVERSATIONS WERE EVEN TAKING PLACE?!?!? They worried.

WTF
    they weren't supposed to talk about it?

Unbelievable.

Why is Wikileaks (none / 0) (#73)
    by TrevorBolder on Sat Jul 23, 2016 at 06:38:43 PM EST
    Helping The Donald?

This makes no sense at all

"We have an electoral process. The DNC, by its charter, is required to be neutral among the candidates. Clearly it was not," Weaver said, responding for the first time to the growing controversy. "We had obviously pointed that out in a number of instances prior to this, and these emails just bear that out."

Another member of Sanders' staff, Rania Batrice put it this way: "Everything our fans have been saying -- and they were beaten down for and called conspiracy theorists -- and now it's in black and white."

The email dump comes at a crucial time, just days before the party's national convention in Philadelphia, with thousands of delegates representing both campaigns gathering from across the country. Weaver and several other members of the Sanders staff have said they are worried the news could disrupt the goals of the convention.

Gawd (none / 0) (#78)
    by CaptHowdy on Sat Jul 23, 2016 at 07:50:43 PM EST
    I so look forward to the day when Weaver goes back to his comic book store and SsTFU.

actually it makes perfect sense.  This stuff is said to come frm Russian hackers.  If not from Putin probably with his blessing.  Of course he wants to help Donald.  Donald would probably destroy the country.  He would certainly make us the worlds laughing stock.  Putin probably w@nks fantasizing about a President Donald J Trump.

That and the fact that he has said over and over he wants to blow off NATO.

Why WOULDNT Putin want to help Donald

DWS is basically termed out (none / 0) (#41)
    by MKS on Sat Jul 23, 2016 at 01:30:54 PM EST
    Obama likes her, so she won't get axed (which is really interesting because in the 2008 Primary she was a Hillary supporter.)

But Hillary people are taking over DNC.  DWS will have less and less to do....Sent out to pasture.

She's done at the end of the year anyway (none / 0) (#52)
    by jbindc on Sat Jul 23, 2016 at 03:26:33 PM EST
    DNC emails (none / 0) (#47)
    by JanaM on Sat Jul 23, 2016 at 02:55:00 PM EST
    are a nothing story. Big fat zero.

Wedges ... beware the wedges (none / 0) (#72)
    by christinep on Sat Jul 23, 2016 at 06:04:48 PM EST
    Trump & company (and others) will try a few wedges--such as you describe--but, I suspect that these will prove insignificant.  (BTW, Trump still needs to resolve his party's divisions...starting with Cruz.  He might want to attend to that fundamental.)