Saturday Open Thread

Republicans are convening in Burlingame, CA this weekend. Updates here. There were Trump protests and a few arrests. Trump and Kasich spoke (Kasich is staying in.) Cruz and Fiorini will speak tomorrow.

Trump said it would be nice for Republicans to unify, but if they don't, he will still win and he doesn't much care:

Could I win without it? I think so, to be honest, I think so," he said. High-profile Republicans such as Jeb Bush, he continued, may not support him in the general, but he brushed that off as a minor issue. "Big deal, like I care. OK?"

"Again, ideally, we're going to be together," Trump said. "I think I will win even if we're not together. I mean there are some people, I honestly don't want their endorsement. I just don't want it ... It's not going to have any impact on whether or not we beat Hillary Clinton. It's not going to have any impact. But most of the party has to come together."

[More...]

Remember the woman whose fetus was cut out from her womb by a woman who had posted an ad for free maternity clothes on Craig's List? She was sentenced yesterday to 100 years in prison. Her defense was not based on insanity, but lack of intent to kill the pregnant woman. The defense argued she acted spontaneously. (There was no murder charge because the prosecution didn't prove the fetus was born alive.)

Hopefully, someone has something happier to comment on. This is an open thread, all topics welcome.

< ISIS Releases Nasheed Video "Blood for Blood"

'something happier to comment on." (5.00 / 1) (#1)
    by desertswine on Sat Apr 30, 2016 at 11:30:39 AM EST
    Here's something new of a rather neither here nor there nature.  The House passes a resolution naming the bison the "national mammal"  Who said that they couldn't do anything?
    I'm not sure what this means for the future of the bison.  Maybe something good.

I think the official GOP mammal ... (none / 0) (#4)
    by Donald from Hawaii on Sat Apr 30, 2016 at 02:55:14 PM EST
    ... should be the weasel. At first glance many people think weasels are cute, but they're actually mean and bloodthirsty, fearless to the point of foolhardy, and can be prone to bite off more than they can chew.
    ;-D

And, for the 2nd time, a weasel (none / 0) (#5)
    by ExPatObserver on Sat Apr 30, 2016 at 02:59:15 PM EST
    shut down a particle accelerator (first time was in Waxahachie).
    The weasel is a nice idea, but I have to say that the GOP reminds me more of the last opossum I saw.

I saw that story from Switzerland yesterday. (none / 0) (#7)
    by Donald from Hawaii on Sat Apr 30, 2016 at 06:00:01 PM EST
    The poor thing was gnawing on a cable and electrocuted itself, short-circuiting the entire plant in the process. It's estimated to be offline for up to three weeks while repairs are being made.

I never saw any weasels while growing up in Pasadena and exploring the San Gabriel Mountain foothills. But there was certainly plenty of their close cousins around, the striped skunk. When I was in high school, there was a mated pair of them that would make the daily rounds in our immediate neighborhood just after sundown. We'd often see them in our neighbor's well-foliated front yard, digging around underneath the bushes for grubs, worms, potato bugs and other delectable edibles.

That's how I learned first-hand that baby skunks pack just as potent a wallop as their parents, when my dog flushed out one of their offspring in our back yard. Before I could pull her away, the little guy turned tail and let us both have it, right in the kisser. To describe the experience as breathtaking really fails to do that experience proper justice.

There are also opposums around, too. In fact, when we were in Pasadena last Thanksgiving, I had to chase one out of my mother's garage. I guess it ambled in when she left the door open, and got trapped in there when she shut it. Anyway, she went into the garage for something and the animal hissed at her from the top of a shelf. They sure are plug-ugly creatures.

Aloha.

Terribly unfair to weasels to suggest (none / 0) (#11)
    by Molly Bloom on Sat Apr 30, 2016 at 06:49:02 PM EST
    they carry the awful burden of being the GOP official mammal given the GOP currently includes the likes of Trump, Cruz, Louie Gohmart  (who I admit does look like a varmint),  Palin, Bachman, Little Boots, Newt  and in the past has included Thurman, Jesse Helms, and of course Tailgunner Joe....

The GOP could have an official rodent, too. (none / 0) (#18)
    by Donald from Hawaii on Sat Apr 30, 2016 at 08:16:10 PM EST
    I nominate the lemming.

It should be good news for Bison (5.00 / 1) (#2)
    by fishcamp on Sat Apr 30, 2016 at 12:22:41 PM EST
    Hopefully there will be more funds available to monitor their health and welfare.  Buffalo are very susceptible to the disease Brucellosis, as are pigs, elk, wild goats, dogs, and even people.  It comes from tainted meat and infected mother's milk.  It can wipe out a herd of Buffalo rapidly.  Buffalo eat anything.

On the drive from Denver to Aspen there is a pull off place to view a big herd of Bison.  You just stand  and stare at them while they stare back.  Since the possession of only one eagle feather is a federal offense,  I wonder what will happen to all the Buffalo head and horn mounts in many bars, hotels, and other locations throughout the West?

How did (none / 0) (#3)
    by Ga6thDem on Sat Apr 30, 2016 at 01:53:40 PM EST
    the shirt go over with the guys at the gym?

When I was at Yellowstone, (none / 0) (#14)
    by desertswine on Sat Apr 30, 2016 at 07:27:35 PM EST
    tourists would try to put their kids on the backs of bison, in order to get good pictures.  Unbelievable but some people don't understand how powerful these guys are.

Jazz at the White House on TV tonight. (5.00 / 2) (#6)
    by caseyOR on Sat Apr 30, 2016 at 04:10:49 PM EST
    The Obamas hosted a Jazz at the White House performance last night. ABC will broadcast parts of that performance tonight at 7 pm (CDT).

UPDATE: ABC-TV is broadcasting "Jazz at the White House" tonight (Saturday, 8pm ET). The one-hour prime time special features highlights from an event taped Friday night, hosted by President and Michelle Obama. Billed as an "all-star global concert",  artists include Aretha Franklin, Herbie Hancock, Sting, Diana Krall, Trombone Shorty, Pat Metheny, Al Jarreau, Wayne Shorter and more. How cool is that?

It looks like a good show.

We've been watching ... (none / 0) (#13)
    by Donald from Hawaii on Sat Apr 30, 2016 at 07:23:48 PM EST
    ... Ken Burns' 6-part documentary "The National Parks: America's Best Idea" on PBS this week. I noticed on the credits that it first aired in 2009. I don't know how we missed it back then, but I'm really glad we're catching it on the rebound. The story of our U.S. National Park Service, how it came into being and how it evolved, is simply fascinating on so many levels.

Heartbroken to have just learned (5.00 / 1) (#20)
    by Peter G on Sat Apr 30, 2016 at 08:33:32 PM EST
    that Fr. Daniel Berrigan, S.J., died today at 94. I had the privilege of serving as co-counsel for him and his co-defendants on appeal from their burglary convictions arising out of the first Plowshares action. Ultimately the convictions were affirmed, but we got Dan's sentence (and the others') reduced from ten years to time served, which in his case was three days. I will never forget the prosecutor approaching Dan after the resentencing with a copy of one of his books of poetry and asking him to autograph it for her, which he graciously did.

Peter (none / 0) (#22)
    by Ga6thDem on Sat Apr 30, 2016 at 09:15:14 PM EST
    you should write a book one day along with Fishcamp. The two of you seem to have some amazing stories.

COUNTDOWN (none / 0) (#8)
    by CaptHowdy on Sat Apr 30, 2016 at 06:28:46 PM EST
    Watching an interesting movie on TCM.  Countdown.  1967.  Robert Duvall and James Caan.  Other actors you will recognize.  Not a great movie but not a bad one.  Just interesting to see these two great actors so young in a movie I never heard of.
    Also an great time capsule of fashion hair style and customs.  Smoking on airplanes and before Duvall had his teeth fixed.

Listed as science fiction but lots of real NASA backgrounds.  From my experience on Apollo 13 I would say reasonably realistic.

One person (none / 0) (#9)
    by CaptHowdy on Sat Apr 30, 2016 at 06:43:06 PM EST
    You would recognize is Ted Knight from MTM

Oh (none / 0) (#10)
    by CaptHowdy on Sat Apr 30, 2016 at 06:44:31 PM EST
    And the host just said directed by Robert Altman.

Not his best.

... right now than this season's improbable and meteoric ascent of the Leicester City Foxes in England's Premier League, a perennial ne'er-do-well team that long epitomized sporting mediocrity, yet now finds itself but one victory away from the club's very first championship in its entire 122-year-long history.

How bad has Leicester City -- pronounced "Less-ter" -- been all these many decades? Well, the Foxes' previous best season was a runner-up finish 87 years ago in 1928-29. And last season, they were exactly where they've most always been found without exception or fail, dead last in the standings.

To put this shocking turn of events in real perspective, oddmakers at the beginning of the 2015-16 season had pegged Leicester City's chances of winning it all at 5,000-1, which in gaming parlance is "OMG! LOL! Are you tripping on acid?" By comparison, Major League Baseball's fabled "Miracle Mets" were merely a 100-1 shot to win the World Series in 1969.

But if the Foxes can knock off Manchester United tomorrow, the 2015-16 title will be theirs outright. And for their long-suffering and now very nervous fans, tomorrow likely can't come soon enough.

Godspeed to the Foxes.

Motion visualization (none / 0) (#15)
    by CaptHowdy on Sat Apr 30, 2016 at 07:32:20 PM EST
    something cool to look at on a Saturday afternoon

I especially like Form Follows Time

Ok (none / 0) (#16)
    by CaptHowdy on Sat Apr 30, 2016 at 07:34:51 PM EST
    Pete wilson endorses (none / 0) (#17)
    by oculus on Sat Apr 30, 2016 at 08:07:16 PM EST
    Cruz. Klan endoreses Trump.

Pete Wilson! LOL! (none / 0) (#19)
    by Donald from Hawaii on Sat Apr 30, 2016 at 08:19:04 PM EST
    Four words: Worst. California. Governor. Ever.

Which endorsement (none / 0) (#21)
    by Ga6thDem on Sat Apr 30, 2016 at 08:42:33 PM EST