Wednesday Open Thread

I have a list of 50 or so things to do before I move. I'm on number 3.

Here's an open thread, all topics welcome.

I dumped the spam from the last week. I'll try to check it every night.

< Not Your Average Narcos Review

When is someone going to ask (5.00 / 1) (#14)
    by Anne on Wed Sep 02, 2015 at 09:04:49 AM EST
    Kim Davis about what God thinks about her three divorces?

lol. When will somebody ask God what she (5.00 / 2) (#16)
    by Mr Natural on Wed Sep 02, 2015 at 09:17:24 AM EST
    thinks about Kim Davis?

Haha (none / 0) (#2)
    by Ga6thDem on Wed Sep 02, 2015 at 07:07:14 AM EST
    Jennifer Rubin GOP voters are morons

Whose campaign is she (5.00 / 1) (#8)
    by Anne on Wed Sep 02, 2015 at 08:10:07 AM EST
    looking to work for?

Seriously, aside from the contempt she clearly has for Donald Trump, she also apparently thinks the GOP/conservative voters are way down there on the IQ scale, as are the candidates themselves.

I've decided that it isn't at all funny that (1) this is the state of the electorate, and (2) this is the state of the candidates.  Maybe one deserves the other, or one is the result of the other - I don't know.

I just know that I spend most of my time now in a state of utter befuddlement that any of this makes sense to anyone.

I don't (none / 0) (#20)
    by Ga6thDem on Wed Sep 02, 2015 at 09:32:07 AM EST
    know that it is the state of the electorate but it certainly seems to be the state of the GOP. When you feed your voters a constant diet of garbage then you get an informed bunch of voters. The GOP is going to have to do something about Fox News and talk radio if they are ever going to be a rational political party again.

I think what will be really interesting to me (none / 0) (#21)
    by CST on Wed Sep 02, 2015 at 09:45:38 AM EST
    Over the next few weeks is see how the "moderate" attacks pan out.  It could go a number of ways.

1 - Trump could become less moderate.  No one will care what his past views are.

2 - Trump could tell everyone to shove it, that his views are better, and people will still love him and fox will implode.

3 - Trump could tell everyone to shove it and people abandon him and everything is nice and shiny in the GOP.

Let's just say I'm really hoping for door number 2.  I think it presents the first real crack in the GOP economic rigidity we've seen in a long time.  I hope it finds a way to sustain itself past this election (after Trump presumably loses).

Jennifer Rubin (none / 0) (#3)
    by CaptHowdy on Wed Sep 02, 2015 at 07:13:11 AM EST
    is a moron and a GOP establishment mouthpiece.   Her fretting condescendtion pleases me.

Me too (none / 0) (#5)
    by Ga6thDem on Wed Sep 02, 2015 at 07:21:43 AM EST

Funny (none / 0) (#6)
    by CaptHowdy on Wed Sep 02, 2015 at 07:33:27 AM EST
    on Mourning Joe they are having vapors over the recent polling that say 66% of Donald Trump supporters think Obama is a Muslim.  This is delivered with somber side eye by Mica who quickly and parenthetical adds under her breath that "it's 12 points higher than the "main stream" of the Republican Party"

tee hee (none / 0) (#7)
    by Ga6thDem on Wed Sep 02, 2015 at 07:53:56 AM EST
    Where have they been for the last seven years?

If 66% is "12 points higher" (none / 0) (#12)
    by Peter G on Wed Sep 02, 2015 at 08:56:18 AM EST
    then 54 percent -- a significant majority -- of Republicans (or perhaps, Republican voters) hold the same willfully ignorant, bigoted opinion. And, inferentially, are immune to factual information.

Ready or not, here it comes (none / 0) (#4)
    by CaptHowdy on Wed Sep 02, 2015 at 07:16:46 AM EST

GM embryos: time for ethics debate, say scientists

Leading UK research funders are calling for an urgent national debate on the ethics of genetically modifying human embryos and other tissues to prevent serious diseases.

The plea has been prompted by scientists' rapid progress in developing a powerful tool called genome editing, which has the potential to transform the treatment of genetic conditions by rewriting the DNA code of affected cells.

The title says "scientists say".  It seems more like science funders say.

"Blowhards who can't do science say" (none / 0) (#13)
    by Mr Natural on Wed Sep 02, 2015 at 08:59:32 AM EST
    The Chinese reach for the stars.

- while B/S addicted western conservatives reach for their caves.

Does (none / 0) (#9)
    by FlJoe on Wed Sep 02, 2015 at 08:11:04 AM EST
    anybody else get homicidal urges when watching this vile creature and his demon spawn spew uncontested lies, or am I just oversensitive to sociopathic war criminals.

Unarmed Texas citizen gunned down by cops (none / 0) (#10)
    by Mr Natural on Wed Sep 02, 2015 at 08:41:10 AM EST
    A second video (none / 0) (#19)
    by jbindc on Wed Sep 02, 2015 at 09:29:59 AM EST
    Reportedly shows "unarmed" man had a knife in his hand.

please put your urls in html (none / 0) (#11)
    by Jeralyn on Wed Sep 02, 2015 at 08:52:43 AM EST
    format. Long ones skew the site. I have to delete the comment as I can't edit them.

Today is (none / 0) (#15)
    by Uncle Chip on Wed Sep 02, 2015 at 09:05:35 AM EST
    Freddie Gray Court Day

Several things could happen during the pretrial hearing, including:

• Mosby's office could be recused.

• The case could be dismissed for prosecutorial misconduct.

• The court could discuss how and whether the officers will be tried, together or separately.

I'll take (none / 0) (#18)
    by Repack Rider on Wed Sep 02, 2015 at 09:26:56 AM EST
    ...door number three.

I hope they throw the library at them.

McKinley/Denali (none / 0) (#17)
    by Repack Rider on Wed Sep 02, 2015 at 09:22:19 AM EST
    I have been to Alaska a number of times.  One way to give away your "visitor" status is to refer to the large peak as "McKinley."  It is a matter of Alaskan pride that the mountain is called Denali.

I have been waiting with bated breath for the Palin response to Mr. Obama accommodating a request that the Alaskan delegation to Congress has been pushing for decades, and stalled by the Ohio delegation.  This is a WIN for Alaskan Republicans.  Hard for them to accept that Obama delivered it.

Here is Brisket's blog, in which she whines: "By the way, no one is buying the 'Denali is what the Alaskans have called it for years' line. I've never called the mountain Denali .. and neither does anyone I know ..."

Here is the money quote from her mother's concession speech, I forget which one.

"And getting up here I say it is the best road trip in America soaring through nature's finest show. Denali, the great one, soaring under the midnight sun."