Omicron at a Hospital in Brooklyn

The New York Times: What Omicron Looks Like in One New York Hospital

Ms. Williams was one of only two nurses working on the Covid-19 ward, with its 36 patients. A few were on ventilators.... One was curled in a fetal position and moaning for water; another was asking to eat. Patients were crammed into every corner, their gurneys arranged, Ms. Williams thought, like blocks in a game of Tetris.

....[T]the patients keep arriving, and in droves: More than 15,000 people with Covid-19 have been hospitalized in the city in the past four weeks, the most since the initial surge. About half of all patients in the city’s hospitals now have Covid-19. And there are simply not enough nurses to care for them all.

[More...]

Brooklyn Hospital is independent. Most of the patients are Black and poor, relying on Medicaid. It treated returning soldiers in the Civil War. Dr. Anthony Fauci was born at Brooklyn Hospital.

Omicron may be beginning to decline in New York City and other places, but at this hospital, the lack of staff and continuing increase in admissions of COVID-19 patients has been overwhelming, resulting in inadequate care. Reading through some of the examples, you would think this hospital is in a third world country.

I hope Justice Neil Gorsuch reads the Times article on the hospital in Brooklyn, and rethinks his decision to be the only unmasked Judge at Supreme Court arguments.

Gorsuch had to know that his masklessness could make other justices uncomfortable, including the 83-year-old Stephen Breyer and the 67-year-old Sotomayor, who has diabetes, a Covid risk factor. Sotomayor sits next to Gorsuch on the bench and, notably, chose not to attend Friday’s argument in person. She participated remotely, from her chambers.

I just don't understand people who refuse to wear a suitable mask, thinking only of themselves. We should be better than this.

< R.I.P. Ronnie Spector

I do not understand people who would rather (5.00 / 4) (#1)
    by oculus on Sat Jan 15, 2022 at 08:14:45 PM EST
    die in an ICU than getting vaxed and boosted.

I really think (5.00 / 2) (#4)
    by CaptHowdy on Sun Jan 16, 2022 at 07:19:30 AM EST
    that is the biggest tell of what a cult and a religion it has become.

They are literally willing to die.  I can more understand the reaction if you really don't believe it's real, more than you would believe, but I really don't get the ones who take horse meds and drink bleach or pee instead of taking a free vaccine.    They are as lost and brainwashed as any North Korean or Moonie.

That sounds like hyperbole but it's not.

It is a cult (5.00 / 1) (#15)
    by Ga6thDem on Sun Jan 16, 2022 at 12:01:40 PM EST
    because they are willing to die rather than admit they were wrong. They have drunk the kool aid.

Best way to own the Libs (none / 0) (#6)
    by jmacWA on Sun Jan 16, 2022 at 07:32:47 AM EST
    DIE for your cause.

Personally I feel fully owned (5.00 / 1) (#8)
    by CaptHowdy on Sun Jan 16, 2022 at 10:26:18 AM EST
    as well as shocked, stunned and deeply saddened.

Thoughts and prayers for each and every lost antivaxxer.

Sorry, but ... (5.00 / 3) (#2)
    by Donald from Hawaii on Sat Jan 15, 2022 at 09:41:44 PM EST
    Jeralyn: "We should be better than this."

... we're not. I'd say about 70% of us are really trying to do the right thing but for the remaining 25-30%, there is no us in them.

Stay safe.

I am really tired of the (5.00 / 8) (#3)
    by CaptHowdy on Sun Jan 16, 2022 at 05:53:49 AM EST
    crocodile tears for this stupid tennis player.  Australia did exactly what they should have done.  I'm listening to a stream of people on CNN wringing their hands over all he has been through.  Poor guy.

F that.  You want to play, great, get vaccinated or STFU.

Support the decision 100% (5.00 / 1) (#10)
    by MO Blue on Sun Jan 16, 2022 at 11:26:38 AM EST
    I hope he is prevented from participating in all the top events. Absolutely no sympathy for any antivacer and definitely not one who knowingly went out and about when he knew he had Covid.

I feel the same way about (none / 0) (#18)
    by Chuck0 on Sun Jan 16, 2022 at 02:24:20 PM EST
    footb all players. Get vaxxed or retire. No vax,no play

Yes the tennis player Novak Djokovich (5.00 / 1) (#19)
    by fishcamp on Sun Jan 16, 2022 at 03:26:25 PM EST
    Lied to his own country, lied to Spain, and lied to Australia with the story that he was immune since he recently had the virus.  He said he wasn't aware he had tested positive  when he was hugging children and hitting tennis balls in the streets of Serbia.  He then said he hadn't traveled to other countries when he had been to Spain.  Then he gained entry into Australia by saying his manager had checked the wrong box on an immigration form.  Serbians have a bad reputation.

Australia waffled by letting him in and then rescinded their decision.  That was bad.  They should have refused him entry immediately.  Even though he is the number one tennis player in the world he will be booed at every match forever.  I don't like him.

It's everywhere here (5.00 / 2) (#5)
    by CaptHowdy on Sun Jan 16, 2022 at 07:28:55 AM EST
    I have an important dr appt Tuesday and I'm considering a reschedule.  I am actually the only person I know locally who has not had it.  My friends and siblings have had mild cases with no hospitalization but lots of others not so lucky.  I personally know of about 10 deaths of people I'm acquainted with.  I'm sure there is more.

Also, I say I haven't had it but I don't know because I've not been tested since the early days.  I have no had symptoms

My son has hip surgery scheduled for Wednesday (none / 0) (#12)
    by MO Blue on Sun Jan 16, 2022 at 11:36:38 AM EST
    He had to get a Covid test yesterday. Not sure if his current symptoms are from his ongoing allergy/sinus problems or from a mild case of Covid. His hip is in extremely bad shape. I sure hope he can get it fixed Wednesday.

Best of luck to him (none / 0) (#20)
    by CaptHowdy on Sun Jan 16, 2022 at 03:52:36 PM EST
    I definitely feel him.  I appear to have avoided that.  At least for now.  Now I'm wrestling with the decision of going to the consultation with the Ortho guys on Tuesday or delaying it, and delaying knowing what the hell my problem actually is, until it's less crazy.

The office is always packed.  They are masked but there is always someone or two with it pulled down under their nose or even their chin.

It's a decision.  Im going to see if we can zoom.

I was looking at the google tracker earlier.  The numbers in the rural counties around here especially the one where my appt is are unbelievable.

Oh dopey me. (5.00 / 2) (#27)
    by MO Blue on Tue Jan 18, 2022 at 05:42:11 PM EST
    My son's surgery was scheduled for today and not on Wednesday. I had the right date on my calendar.

Any how, the good news is that his symptoms were allergy related, he tested negative and had his surgery today.

Haven't talked to him yet but the surgeon was nice enough to call me after the surgery to tell me it went well. He should be in a room and coherent in another hour or so and I will call him then.

I think this is right (none / 0) (#21)
    by CaptHowdy on Sun Jan 16, 2022 at 04:47:28 PM EST
    Omicron surge hasn't hit rural communities ... yet

Or rather I think it's kicking in right now.  At least locally.

There are 2 sports bars in this (none / 0) (#22)
    by MO Blue on Sun Jan 16, 2022 at 09:02:44 PM EST
    strip mall by my house. They cater a lot to the younger crowd. There are numerous other stores in the mall so there are a lot of parking spaces. Football playoffs today. Today/tonight there was not a single space left and people were lined up parking on the street. It had to be standing room only in those bars. I anticipate our COVID numbers to get even worse than they are now.

I just delayed it (5.00 / 3) (#23)
    by CaptHowdy on Mon Jan 17, 2022 at 07:48:09 AM EST
    for one week.  And rescheduled for 8 am.  First appt of the day.  Hopefully I can get in and get out.

Wearing a mask, (5.00 / 3) (#11)
    by KeysDan on Sun Jan 16, 2022 at 11:36:23 AM EST
    especially around vulnerable fellow justices, is the decent thing to do.  And, scandalous when masking and other public heath measures are a practice of the Supreme Court.

However, a mask-less Gorsuch symbolizes "big government subjugation",  in keeping with thinking in the land of DeSantistan.   In my view, it is his equivalent of wearing a red MAGA cap.   And, even worse it is emblematic of a Court that seems decreasingly worried about coming across as Republican hacks.

They might as well wear the red hat. (5.00 / 2) (#13)
    by MO Blue on Sun Jan 16, 2022 at 11:39:40 AM EST
    No one is fooled on either side of the aisle. Not sure R's really care about public opinion since it doesn't seem to affect their power structure.

Let's not breeze by (5.00 / 1) (#53)
    by CaptHowdy on Wed Jan 19, 2022 at 05:29:03 PM EST
    the fact the Supreme Court just turned over all Trumps secrets to the committee.

It's a BFD.  It really is.

8 to 1 (5.00 / 2) (#65)
    by KeysDan on Wed Jan 19, 2022 at 08:09:05 PM EST
    Thomas dissenting.   Need to learn more about Ginni's role, if any, in the January 6 insurrection.

Somebody (none / 0) (#56)
    by Ga6thDem on Wed Jan 19, 2022 at 06:12:02 PM EST
    said it has been a really bad day for Trump with the SC decision and then Tish James calling them all to testify about bank, tax and insurance fraud. I am surprised the NY investigation is still civil and not converted to criminal. I expect all of them to show up and plead the 5th over 500 times like Eric did.

There is a criminal investigation in NY (none / 0) (#57)
    by CaptHowdy on Wed Jan 19, 2022 at 06:17:30 PM EST
    they were saying today the testimony in the civil case might be delayed until after the criminal case because legal stuff about information in the civil case being used in the criminal case.

Next Time You Are at the Gym (none / 0) (#7)
    by RickyJim on Sun Jan 16, 2022 at 10:19:58 AM EST
    Take a look around and notice how many have masks covering both their nose and mouth, mouth only, and chin only.  It varies I am sure but when I am in a weight room, out of sight of the desk attendants, I typically notice 1/3, 1/2, 1/6.  Sometimes I notice a group of say 3 or 4  people getting into a tight circle, yanking down their masks and start yakking away at each other.  Luckily this area is large enough that I can keep at least 10 feet away from these a****s.  Of course, there are signs all over the place explaining proper mask usage.

Sometimes you just need to laugh (none / 0) (#14)
    by MO Blue on Sun Jan 16, 2022 at 11:59:01 AM EST
    As the pandemic enters its third year, some of America's COVID-era shopping habits -- including strong demand for tequila and sweatpants -- are here to stay.

axios

I have long (none / 0) (#16)
    by Ga6thDem on Sun Jan 16, 2022 at 12:04:43 PM EST
    had an affection for sweat pants. I'm glad to see now others are joining me.

Nothing can make tequila palatable to me. Just the smell of it makes me nauseous. We went to a tequila factory when we were visiting Puerto Vallarta and the only sample I could stomach were the ones that were so flavored that I could not smell or taste the tequila.

Oh, I'm kinda (5.00 / 3) (#17)
    by MO Blue on Sun Jan 16, 2022 at 12:32:32 PM EST
    fond of a good margarita now and again. IMO you just have to have one (or 2) when eating Mexican food.

I did expand my sweat pants (joggers) wardrobe over the last 3 years.

www.usps.com/Covid test (none / 0) (#24)
    by fishcamp on Tue Jan 18, 2022 at 05:15:56 PM EST
    It's free, order now

I wonder how accurate they are (none / 0) (#25)
    by CaptHowdy on Tue Jan 18, 2022 at 05:27:26 PM EST
    A friend is currently down with covid.  At the beginning, when he was already having cough and fever, 2 rapid tests were negative.

It took the kind that takes a day or two to confirm he had it.

Accuracy (none / 0) (#28)
    by BGinCA on Tue Jan 18, 2022 at 06:26:07 PM EST
    The accuracy of the test differs significantly if it is taken by symptomatic or asymptomatic users.
    "For people with symptoms of COVID-19, the tests correctly gave a positive result an average of 72 percent of the time. The 95 percent confidence intervals were 63.7 to 79 percent, meaning that the researchers were 95 percent confident that the average fell between these two values...
    The researchers found that people without COVID-19 symptoms correctly tested positive in 58.1 percent of rapid tests. The 95 percent confidence intervals were 40.2 to 74.1 percent."

per the CDC

Ok (none / 0) (#29)
    by CaptHowdy on Tue Jan 18, 2022 at 06:33:10 PM EST
    I guess that puts my friend in the 28%

Twice (none / 0) (#31)
    by CaptHowdy on Tue Jan 18, 2022 at 06:43:03 PM EST
    And what level of accuracy did they find (none / 0) (#33)
    by Peter G on Tue Jan 18, 2022 at 09:19:50 PM EST
    for allegedly negative results on the rapid test?

Accuracy (5.00 / 1) (#35)
    by BGinCA on Tue Jan 18, 2022 at 11:10:42 PM EST
    Highly accurate:
    Per a study by the Univ. of Birmingham:
    "... if 1000 people with symptoms had the antigen test, and 50 (5%) of them really had COVID‐19:

‐ 53 people would test positive for COVID‐19. Of these, 9 people (17%) would not have COVID‐19 (false positive result).

‐ 947 people would test negative for COVID‐19. Of these, 6 people (0.6%) would actually have COVID‐19 (false negative result)

In people with no symptoms of COVID‐19... Using summary results ...in a  bigger population of 10,000 people with no symptoms, where 50 (0.5%) of them really had COVID‐19:

‐ 125 people would test positive for COVID‐19. Of these, 90 people (72%) would not have COVID‐19 (false positive result).

‐ 9,875 people would test negative for COVID‐19. Of these, 15 people (0.2%) would actually have COVID‐19 (false negative result)."

So basically there is less than 1% chance of a false negative.

I read that a second rapid test (none / 0) (#61)
    by Militarytracy on Wed Jan 19, 2022 at 07:36:44 PM EST
    The following day if your first is negative, tends to be more accurate in disclosing if you are infectious than the PCR.

Signing up was so quick and easy (none / 0) (#26)
    by MO Blue on Tue Jan 18, 2022 at 05:36:46 PM EST
    I had expected the site to be overwhelmed. Not everyone might know that you can sign up tonight rather than tomorrow morning so that might explain how quick it was.

I (5.00 / 5) (#36)
    by FlJoe on Wed Jan 19, 2022 at 04:45:17 AM EST
    don't see the media celebrating the success of this rollout, it doesn't fit their narrative of a flailing Biden presidency.

You have to look to those (none / 0) (#44)
    by CaptHowdy on Wed Jan 19, 2022 at 03:00:33 PM EST
    dastardly never Trumpers for a balanced opinion.

You won't find it in the librul media.

It's Wildly Premature to Call Biden a Failed President

January 19, 2022 at 10:32 am EST By Taegan Goddard 128 Comments

Max Boot: "Biden was never going to be another FDR or LBJ, not with only 50 votes in the Senate. He was lucky to pass more than $3 trillion in spending last year, with $1.2 trillion of that coming in a bipartisan infrastructure bill. Why isn't that good enough for his supporters?"

"But nor is he destined to become another Jimmy Carter -- a one-term president who is widely, perhaps unfairly, perceived as a failure."

"A large part of Biden's problem is that presidents get blamed for a lot of things they have little control over -- in his case, Covid-19 and inflation."

CNN (5.00 / 1) (#66)
    by FlJoe on Thu Jan 20, 2022 at 06:34:50 AM EST
    is puke worthy this morning, they have taken upon themselves to utterly trash Biden, often taking up Republican talking points to do so, even abandoning both siderism to do so.

I gotta say MJoe (5.00 / 1) (#67)
    by CaptHowdy on Thu Jan 20, 2022 at 07:54:47 AM EST
    was not horrible.  They were more balanced that the norm on MSNBC.   They made jokes about Biden rambling (he did) but called out others for pearl clutching because he made a "gaff" about Ukraine who listened to Trump for years without a word.

I think Biden was good yesterday.  He stood there and took it.  Even from the nut case right wing participants.  For two hours.  He was cogent and rational if a bit loquacious  I thought he sounded very competent.

That's basically what they said.

I agree (none / 0) (#68)
    by KeysDan on Thu Jan 20, 2022 at 08:24:14 AM EST
    President Biden did very well, fielding a range of questions, explaining positions and awakening the media to the nihilist and destructive Republicans.  I was hoping that in response to that insulting and disrespectful question of that rwnj about -- why some question his cognitive skills, he would have said maybe they are the same ones who wonder why drinking urine is not standard protocol for treating COVID.

The presser should put those cognitive questions to bed.  I think his Ukraine discussion was not a gaff, but an intended outcome message.  And, it was good that he explained that when you follow science , you do not follow a straight line.  Hope the media grasped that fundamental understanding.

It should but it won't (none / 0) (#71)
    by CaptHowdy on Thu Jan 20, 2022 at 09:24:01 AM EST
    I did think he handled the Newsmax question about it perfectly.

It was exactly the right answer.

Yes, (none / 0) (#73)
    by KeysDan on Thu Jan 20, 2022 at 09:48:54 AM EST
    you are right.

John Malone, (none / 0) (#75)
    by KeysDan on Thu Jan 20, 2022 at 11:25:22 AM EST
    the billionaire new stakeholder in Discovery Communications has expressed his desire to "return" CNN to the reporting of the past, lauding the great reporting of FOX.  And, apparently, CNN has not been doing so well in the Biden era.

We also signed up (none / 0) (#32)
    by Peter G on Tue Jan 18, 2022 at 09:17:15 PM EST
    Why the hell not? In our family, it's mandatory for any visit to see grandchildren under 5. Buying one in the CVS around her cost $15-$20 per. They were 2 for $25 three weeks ago.

that link didn't work but (none / 0) (#34)
    by Jeralyn on Tue Jan 18, 2022 at 09:34:16 PM EST
    this one did

Really fast and easy. You get 4 tests in your order.

That link does not work for me (none / 0) (#37)
    by CaptHowdy on Wed Jan 19, 2022 at 06:29:20 AM EST
    this one does

Yep
    Pretty easy

Strangely Jeralyn your link didn't work (none / 0) (#38)
    by fishcamp on Wed Jan 19, 2022 at 08:31:47 AM EST
    for me, but Howdy's did, and it's the same link I posted.  Maybe just using usps.com works.  Once you do get there it's very simple to order the four test kits.

My older brother has covid (none / 0) (#30)
    by CaptHowdy on Tue Jan 18, 2022 at 06:42:37 PM EST
    Again.  Not the first family member to do a do-over.

What a bummer (none / 0) (#39)
    by MO Blue on Wed Jan 19, 2022 at 11:12:25 AM EST
    Hope is doing alright.

His symptoms are mild (none / 0) (#40)
    by CaptHowdy on Wed Jan 19, 2022 at 12:47:45 PM EST
    like last time😒

Our daughter is very sick (none / 0) (#42)
    by Militarytracy on Wed Jan 19, 2022 at 02:00:32 PM EST
    I know it isn't cool to dis Joe (none / 0) (#41)
    by Militarytracy on Wed Jan 19, 2022 at 01:59:58 PM EST
    And I ordered my tests yesterday and the website is great.

We are at 3,000 deaths a day though and that isn't going to get better soon. Hard to imagine it doesn't get worse. We need more than these 4 tests per household.

I don't understand why free tests easily available didn't become the norm after his inauguration.

Our daughter is very sick in Alabama. Immunosuppressed. Hopefully can get into the doctor this afternoon

I'm getting scared again. Don't really know what to think but smoothing this over isn't going to work for me Joe. I need real solutions and moving his arse out of Joe Biden this afternoon.

What do you envision (none / 0) (#43)
    by oculus on Wed Jan 19, 2022 at 02:40:43 PM EST
    as the most effective means Biden coiuld employ?   In light of the current SCOTUS.

The activist justices on SCOTUS (none / 0) (#45)
    by Militarytracy on Wed Jan 19, 2022 at 05:04:09 PM EST
    Seem to smell Trump blood in the water.

Daughter is in line at an Urgent Care. I hope she gets access to the anti-viral if she has Covid. I don't know what the availability is right now.

Messaged Michal in Poland during the Biden speech. He is going to University of Warsaw and really a history buff for that region. He says that the UK and the US and other NATO members have supplied Ukraine with some serious weaponry. While we twist a kerchief over our possible involvement he said Ukraine can really Jack some Russians up and they're ready to, all by themselves.

It looks (5.00 / 1) (#50)
    by Ga6thDem on Wed Jan 19, 2022 at 05:18:18 PM EST
    like the UK is about to throw out their Putin bot Boris. So that is a positive too when it comes to Ukraine.

I really hope your daughter gets better soon. I am so sorry she is sick. I hope Bug and the rest are staying well. My grandson is not vaccinated. My DIL has been stupid in this area.

I am so sorry (none / 0) (#51)
    by Militarytracy on Wed Jan 19, 2022 at 05:19:24 PM EST
    She's Covid positive (none / 0) (#54)
    by Militarytracy on Wed Jan 19, 2022 at 05:38:21 PM EST
    No anti-viral available. Out of stick

That's the crap that pisses me off. A day late and short on tests and anti-virals. He stood up there and bragged about the anti-virals, but they are out of stock. I'm steaming mad! Her husband is here taking a military course. She has 4 kids and 1 step to care for.

Oh, no, I am so sorry (none / 0) (#55)
    by Ga6thDem on Wed Jan 19, 2022 at 06:08:55 PM EST
    Are you in Alabama? If I were closer I would be glad to come over and help.

If this is a serious nationwide problem with a shortage of anti-virals he needs to invoke the DPA and solve it.

I am in Maryland now (none / 0) (#58)
    by Militarytracy on Wed Jan 19, 2022 at 06:53:31 PM EST
    I was there in November and December helping.

How about the new pills? (none / 0) (#60)
    by oculus on Wed Jan 19, 2022 at 07:28:16 PM EST
    The supply that (none / 0) (#62)
    by Militarytracy on Wed Jan 19, 2022 at 07:40:56 PM EST
    Biden ordered isn't available yet. Nothing available in Enterprise. She is going to a monoclonal clinic in Dothan AL tomorrow that is supposed to be at Flowers hospital to see if they can do anything to help her fight it.

Kids must be in school (none / 0) (#63)
    by Militarytracy on Wed Jan 19, 2022 at 07:43:43 PM EST
    But when military dad is gone and your mom gets sick because the kids bring it home, mom is on her own.

I need Biden to fight (none / 0) (#46)
    by Militarytracy on Wed Jan 19, 2022 at 05:07:35 PM EST
    These stateside b*st*rds. Be done with looking for his 3 magic Republican Senators.

Let's go behind the gym, take care of Corn Pop.

The problem (5.00 / 1) (#49)
    by Ga6thDem on Wed Jan 19, 2022 at 05:13:09 PM EST
    really is Manchin and Sinema and their elusive search for the holy grail of bipartisanship. So extremely tired of the unicorn talk. Republicans are never going to do anything to move the country forward.

Not sure they are searching for (5.00 / 1) (#59)
    by oculus on Wed Jan 19, 2022 at 07:27:35 PM EST
    bipartisanship as opposed to personal recognition, and, of course, campaign donations.

Well (none / 0) (#47)
    by Ga6thDem on Wed Jan 19, 2022 at 05:08:52 PM EST
    Were there any tests available to send out a year ago? I think the 4 number is totally random. Your daughter probably could use about 4 or 5 x that number of tests. In my area if you can find a COVID test you are lucky because they sell out constantly. Our neighborhood Facebook page regularly has people asking where they can find a COVID test. But 4 tests should be enough for just my husband and myself.

As far as the number dying, I'm not sure Biden can do much about that. It's like 90% anti-vaxxers and they are refusing the get the vaccine and there is nothing Biden can do to change their minds.

My anger right now is directed at Biden thinking once Trump was gone the GOP would work with him. I thought it was clueless when he said it and at least he's not spending a ton of time trying to get them on board.

Same (none / 0) (#48)
    by Militarytracy on Wed Jan 19, 2022 at 05:13:08 PM EST
    People not on Medicare (none / 0) (#64)
    by MO Blue on Wed Jan 19, 2022 at 07:43:48 PM EST
    Can get up to eight free tests per month through their insurance.

Insurance companies and health plans are now required to cover eight free over-the-counter at-home tests per covered individual per month, according to White House officials. For instance, a family of four all on the same plan would be able to get up to 32 of these tests covered by their health plan per month.

"We are requiring insurers and group health plans to make tests free for millions of Americans. This is all part of our overall strategy to ramp-up access to easy-to-use, at-home tests at no cost," Health and Human Services Secretary Xavier Becerra stated in a news release on Jan. 10.

npr

The "stupid" in this decision is to not allow Medicare recipients to enjoy this benefit. For everyone else it is a good thing.

Medicare (none / 0) (#69)
    by BGinCA on Thu Jan 20, 2022 at 09:00:59 AM EST
    I'm not sure I understand. I am on medicare and just ordered 4 at-home tests on the government website. Do you mean there is no coverage in a pharmacy?

To expand a bit (5.00 / 1) (#76)
    by jmacWA on Thu Jan 20, 2022 at 02:24:56 PM EST
    on what the Captn said.

Medicare does not cover these covid tests at all, what you were able to order were from the stockpile the federal government is offering to all.  Standard Insurance companies are 'said to be' paying for them, but you have to lay out the funds first from what I understand.  Being on Medicare myself I don't know much about how exactly Insurance companies are handling this

Yes I think so (none / 0) (#70)
    by CaptHowdy on Thu Jan 20, 2022 at 09:22:24 AM EST
    As I understand insurance is covering some number of tests.  Apart from the free ones.  Medicare does not.

Biden actually mentioned the insurance coverage yesterday.

jmacWA response is correct (none / 0) (#77)
    by MO Blue on Thu Jan 20, 2022 at 03:22:53 PM EST
    You can get the 4 from the stockpile but cannot get the monthly free supply from the pharmacy if you are on Medicare.

Don't know if this type of option (none / 0) (#78)
    by MO Blue on Thu Jan 20, 2022 at 03:33:57 PM EST
    is available in your area. Might be worth your time to do a little research.  The saliva test are said to detect Omicron sooner.

St. Louis County announces free at-home COVID tests through 2 library branches

Residents will soon be able to pick up at-home saliva tests from the Rock Road and Weber Road library branches.

ksdk

The librarians must be thrilled. (none / 0) (#79)
    by desertswine on Thu Jan 20, 2022 at 04:37:54 PM EST
    Our libraries have done a fantastic job (none / 0) (#80)
    by MO Blue on Thu Jan 20, 2022 at 04:47:44 PM EST
    doing everything from distributing diapers, food, learning and on line recreational opportunities just to name a few of the many services they have provided. Along with distributing masks and test they are also providing the facilities to have your 2021 state and federal taxes prepared.

I can't say enough about how wonderful they are.

As far as my brothers reinfection (none / 0) (#52)
    by CaptHowdy on Wed Jan 19, 2022 at 05:27:27 PM EST
    I believe it's his own fault.  That's my opinion.  He has listened to much to the wrong people and in spite of being fully vaxxed he, and a heluvalot of other people, have simply been careless.

They were told, over and over, omicron was crazy infectious.  But he continued to socialize with morons including his grandchildren who I would not be in the same room with.

There was 15,000 new cases just in my state (none / 0) (#72)
    by CaptHowdy on Thu Jan 20, 2022 at 09:44:15 AM EST
    yesterday.

The numbers for every surrounding country are right through the roof.  Higher than they have ever been.  By a lot.

That chart (none / 0) (#74)
    by CaptHowdy on Thu Jan 20, 2022 at 09:50:06 AM EST
    makes it look like the numbers have been this high before

It's a display glitch.  If you change the time frame to more clearly see each day you can see it's almost twice what it's been before.  I think the previous high for my tiny rural county was 58.  Yesterday 130.

The Supreme Court, (none / 0) (#81)
    by KeysDan on Thu Jan 20, 2022 at 05:04:52 PM EST
    once again, played into the Texas vigilante, bounty hunter scheme to ban abortions six weeks after the last menstrual period. A time-line in which most women do not yet know they are pregnant.  The ban remains in place---the Supreme Court declined to hasten the process that could block Texas SB 8.

Justice Sotomayor, in a dissent joined by Justices Breyer and Kagan, stated: " This case is a disaster for the rule of law and a gross disservice to the women of Texas who have a right to control their own bodies.  I will not stand silently as a State continues to nullify this constitutional guarantee."