Mapping Indiana

Bump and Update: What to look for in Indiana: How well Obama does in three areas, Gary which is 85% African American with a total population of 100,000; Indianapolis, which is 25% black and has a population of 780,000, and the college towns, particularly Bloomington. For Hillary, check the turnout along the Western side of the state under the northern counties and St. Joseph County with South Bend which has a lot of Catholics-- and a population of 265,000.

Here are the official voter registration stats for Indiana as of April 30. Unfortunately, they are not broken down by county.

Politico reports on early turnout: [More...]

More than 160,000 voters cast their ballots early, with large numbers coming in from Obama strongholds in Lake (Gary), Marion (Indianapolis) and Monroe (Indiana University-Bloomington) counties.

Looking at projections, exit polls and results is easier for me with a map. Election results usually come in by county. It's hard to find county maps with the major cities on them. So, I made one for Indiana.

If you don't care for my artwork below, I've also included an Indiana county map and a map of Indiana cities.

All comments about the Indiana primary are welcome here. [Maps below]

< Obama Surrogate Joe Andrew Flip Flops: "A Miracle If Obama Comes Close In Indiana" | Tonight is Not Just About Delegates >

Your artwork is lovely. (5.00 / 1) (#6)
    by Iphie on Tue May 06, 2008 at 01:04:45 PM EST
    Indiana polls close at 6:00, yeah?

I just read that Craig Crawford will be on C-Span tonight to discuss returns -- looks like that will be my channel of choice this evening.

But (none / 0) (#12)
    by Emma on Tue May 06, 2008 at 01:12:07 PM EST
    I love John King's maps on CNN.  I just have to turn it off when anybody else comes on.

Fox has the always exciting (none / 0) (#18)
    by waldenpond on Tue May 06, 2008 at 01:26:07 PM EST
    floating lazy susans.... (I can do CNN, I just have to do it with the volume off)

Agreed. (none / 0) (#15)
    by magisterludi on Tue May 06, 2008 at 01:16:18 PM EST
    wonderful color scheme. I wish I knew what it meant, tho. Alas, I'm more a visceral type than a statistician and that is an understatement.

strange an lyrical. (none / 0) (#20)
    by Salo on Tue May 06, 2008 at 01:33:42 PM EST
    He's Kinda Silly, But I Like Craig. He Sure (none / 0) (#33)
    by PssttCmere08 on Tue May 06, 2008 at 02:00:22 PM EST
    seems alot more objective than some of the other talking heads like CM and KO.

He does seem objective (none / 0) (#38)
    by Iphie on Tue May 06, 2008 at 02:19:50 PM EST
    and he's certainly not suffering from CDS, which is why, I'm guessing, he's no longer on Countdown and will be on C-Span instead. He had a good post yesterday detailing how Obama can't stop talking about Clinton, which seems to undercut his stance that the campaign is as good as over.
    Also, it seems strange for Obama to keep talking so much about his Democratic rival while at the same time trying to convince party superdelegates that his nomination is inevitable and Clinton is irrelevant.

Craig is a jolly guy... (none / 0) (#45)
    by reynwrap582 on Tue May 06, 2008 at 03:17:27 PM EST
    That's what I've always liked about him.  He seems much more enthralled with the game of elections than with a political candidate, which I think is why he is fun and interesting to watch.

It's like watching a baseball game with an announcer that loves baseball, as opposed to watching the game with an announcer that despises one of the teams and loves the other (subtle hint to KO, go back to sports).

Toll-Free number for the DNC (5.00 / 4) (#11)
    by SunnyLC on Tue May 06, 2008 at 01:11:55 PM EST
    You will get a live person who will type your comments....

DO IT!! The number is at the bottom of the blog post...

I just called....

"Call the DNC TOLL-FREE-They Are Taking Comments...Here's What I Told Them..."

Good number to have esp. if there is some possibly illegal Obama supporter activity, as is being reported...

You've said it (none / 0) (#17)
    by zfran on Tue May 06, 2008 at 01:19:53 PM EST
    so elequently and I, for one, feel exactly the same as you. Bravo, Sunny LC and thank you.

Anyone have (5.00 / 1) (#19)
    by Makarov on Tue May 06, 2008 at 01:33:12 PM EST
    the delegate counts per district?  Which are even / odd?

Delegate Counts by CD (5.00 / 1) (#21)
    by ASDem on Tue May 06, 2008 at 01:38:28 PM EST
    CD1: 6
    CD2: 6
    CD3: 4
    CD4: 4
    CD5: 4
    CD6: 5
    CD7: 6
    CD8: 6
    CD9: 6

All but one are evens (none / 0) (#30)
    by Makarov on Tue May 06, 2008 at 01:58:19 PM EST
    Which could mean delegate gains if Hillary is able to run up the lead in some of the districts favoring her.  Looks like a good delegate map to me.

You can tell a woman runs this blog (5.00 / 2) (#23)
    by Kathy on Tue May 06, 2008 at 01:46:09 PM EST
    because Clinton's chin and neck always look great in the pics that are chosen!  I'm sure our girl thanks you, TL.

I've been hearing a couple of reports from IN friends in Gary that they were surprised by the voter turn-out, as in it seemed a little low.  Same with a friend in NC who works at a polling station in a predominantly aa neighborhood (her own).

This is going to be really interesting.  Fingers crossed for our girl!

I think (5.00 / 1) (#41)
    by nell on Tue May 06, 2008 at 03:05:39 PM EST
    part of that might be because the Obama campaign focused a lot on early voting in heavily african american districts.

I know there was HUGE outrage a week or two ago in Gary when the mayor, who supports Obama, used public school buses to drive high school seniors to the polls to make sure they voted before finals, etc.

Are you serious? (5.00 / 1) (#46)
    by reynwrap582 on Tue May 06, 2008 at 03:18:45 PM EST
    I heard NOTHING about that.  That's completely outrageous.

Link (5.00 / 2) (#48)
    by nell on Tue May 06, 2008 at 03:33:12 PM EST
    to the story. When I was canvassing in NW Indiana this past weekend, I heard a couple of Hillary supporters whose doors I knocked on grumbling about it. People were upset.

If I am bitter tonight (5.00 / 2) (#24)
    by DJ on Tue May 06, 2008 at 01:46:25 PM EST
    can I cling to tequila instead of my gun or religion?  Would that break any rules?

It's always appropriate (none / 0) (#29)
    by RalphB on Tue May 06, 2008 at 01:56:27 PM EST
    to cling to tequila, especially if it's Patron.  Just don't mix it with your gun  :-)

I'm clinging (none / 0) (#51)
    by madamab on Tue May 06, 2008 at 03:41:09 PM EST
    to a beer and a shot of Scotch.

And, I'll be wearing my "She can do it! Hillary '08" t-shirt.

You may all mock me now. ;-)

I will be immersed in American Idol (5.00 / 1) (#57)
    by Anne on Tue May 06, 2008 at 03:50:10 PM EST
    and Hell's Kitchen from 8-10 EDT, which will keep me from hanging from my keyboard by my fingernails; maybe by 10:00 we will know enough that I can celebrate instead of sweat.

A glass or two of Shiraz will help, too, I think.

Cling to the tequila!!!! (none / 0) (#31)
    by stefystef on Tue May 06, 2008 at 01:58:29 PM EST
    It ain't Cinco de Mayo, but who cares!!!

Close Enough.....Tequila Over Ice With Lots (5.00 / 1) (#35)
    by PssttCmere08 on Tue May 06, 2008 at 02:13:34 PM EST
    of lemon squeezed into it....and sip

Naughty Obama campaign in Indiana (5.00 / 3) (#34)
    by Chimster on Tue May 06, 2008 at 02:11:08 PM EST
    Caught with their hands in the cookie jar.

Chimster...Better Get That 800 Number For The (5.00 / 1) (#37)
    by PssttCmere08 on Tue May 06, 2008 at 02:18:31 PM EST
    DNC and report it.

ABC's Political Punch has it. (none / 0) (#39)
    by Chimster on Tue May 06, 2008 at 02:22:08 PM EST
    The DNC would just hang up on me.

Shall we all (none / 0) (#58)
    by Firefly4625 on Tue May 06, 2008 at 03:51:14 PM EST
    hold our breath til we see anything about it on MSNBC?

What the H***... (5.00 / 1) (#53)
    by madamab on Tue May 06, 2008 at 03:43:39 PM EST
    is Obama for America?

Is he being like his mentor, Joe "Connecticut for Lieberman," and creating his very own party?

This is freaking ridiculous. The more I know him, the less I like him.

And I'm not surprised about the shenanigans. I hear the caucuses were also a hotbed of Obama campaign no-no's.

Oh, Oh (none / 0) (#36)
    by MO Blue on Tue May 06, 2008 at 02:17:36 PM EST
    I guess that falls under Obama rulz also.

Problems getting the college kids out to vote (5.00 / 1) (#47)
    by stefystef on Tue May 06, 2008 at 03:24:04 PM EST
    in IN.  I read on a couple of blogs that Obama supporters and volunteers worked very hard to get college students to early vote because this is finals week and many students are pre-occupied with finals to vote (Hey, rallies are fun, but actually taking the time to get to that vote place is a major bummer).

I notice that in many of the elections that Obama on, especially PA, that while there was an increase of youth votes, it did not translate into the huge swell of support in the voting booth as the MSM has tried to make it out to be.

I've always said, it's the old folks who go out and vote.

Is anyone else out there hearing about students having problems going out to vote or lower voting from them?

Well, I don't know about problems, (none / 0) (#56)
    by Anne on Tue May 06, 2008 at 03:46:48 PM EST
    but I do know that Indiana Univ is all finished with finals and most left for home this past weekend.  A co-worker's daughter just finshed her freshman year there.

12 nuns turned away (5.00 / 1) (#49)
    by nell on Tue May 06, 2008 at 03:38:17 PM EST
    in Indiana for not having proper ID, according to the FOX ticker.

Jeralyn, aren't they supposed to be able to cast provisional ballots and then present photo ID by a certain date to the county clerk?

man, I really thought that (5.00 / 1) (#60)
    by Kathy on Tue May 06, 2008 at 03:53:35 PM EST
    was a set-up for a great nun joke.

Am I reading correctly that there's a Clinton county?  How many states have Clinton counties?!  Let's hope IN turns into Clinton Country.  I am really hoping our girl blows this thing out.

On Super Tuesday (none / 0) (#63)
    by Steve M on Tue May 06, 2008 at 04:12:22 PM EST
    there was a diary at MyDD from an Obama supporter gloating that a tornado had just wiped out the town of Clinton, Arkansas.  Apparently he saw this as a good omen for his candidate.

That's what I thought (none / 0) (#61)
    by waldenpond on Tue May 06, 2008 at 03:54:46 PM EST
    You voted and then had 10 days to verify appropriate ID.  It was my understanding you did not need to have the official ID ten days later, that your receipt that you'd applied for your ID was sufficient.  I want to know what is going on with that.....

Districts 1,2, and 7 (none / 0) (#1)
    by andgarden on Tue May 06, 2008 at 01:01:34 PM EST
    should be Obama's strongest. Hillary's should be 6, 8, and 9.

I disagree (5.00 / 3) (#9)
    by ASDem on Tue May 06, 2008 at 01:11:11 PM EST
    I've worked in Indiana politics before.  3 and 7 will definitely be Obama's strongest districts - 3 is basically a Republican wasteland with the exception of heavily black Fort Wayne, and 7 is a maj-min district.  1 is going to be a lot closer than people think - Obama will turn out Gary, but Hillary and Bill have basically camped out there for the last two weeks, hitting every "major" town.  Here's a very rough guess by CD.

1 - Obama +6
    2 - Clinton +1
    3 - Obama +12
    4 - Obama + 8
    5 - Clinton +1
    6 - Clinton + 25
    7 - Obama +40
    8 - Clinton +22
    9 - Clinton +22

What this means is probably Clinton +4-6 overall.  Just a guess.

thats an awsum guess (5.00 / 1) (#13)
    by Capt Howdy on Tue May 06, 2008 at 01:12:23 PM EST

Non-Gary Towns in CD1 (5.00 / 3) (#16)
    by ASDem on Tue May 06, 2008 at 01:19:10 PM EST
    I will also be shocked if the non-Gary towns in NW Indiana go heavily for Obama.  Hillary has every single mayor in NW Indiana - every single one - with the exception of Mayor Clay in Gary.  And like I said before, she or Bill has been to every single town - every single one - in the last 2 weeks.

Valpo will probably go Obama, but Hammond (2nd largest to Gary), East Chicago (heavily Latino), Crown Point (remember The Whiskey Shot?), Merrillville (she was there yesterday), Portage (home of the "testicular fortitude" comment), and Schererville and Whiting should all go HRC by small margins.

And then there's Gary...

Why (none / 0) (#42)
    by nell on Tue May 06, 2008 at 03:07:42 PM EST
    would valpo not go for Hillary? If I was a guessing person, I would say it will as it favors her demographically more so than other towns you mentioned, such as Merrerrville (spelling?) or Munster.

Valpo (none / 0) (#65)
    by ASDem on Tue May 06, 2008 at 04:44:34 PM EST
    I say Valpo for Obama for two reasons - 1. The University and 2. It's the most "upscale" place in CD1, with the possible exception of Crown Point.

Why 7 (none / 0) (#2)
    by dissenter on Tue May 06, 2008 at 01:02:48 PM EST
    Aren't there lots of Catholics there?

Never mind (none / 0) (#3)
    by dissenter on Tue May 06, 2008 at 01:03:18 PM EST
    I can't read lol

7 is Marion and Indianpolis (none / 0) (#4)
    by Jeralyn on Tue May 06, 2008 at 01:03:29 PM EST
    I had to white that out to fit in the text.

You think she'll take the district with Gary?

Not so much (none / 0) (#7)
    by txpolitico67 on Tue May 06, 2008 at 01:06:59 PM EST
    I think Gary will tilt for Obama.  I feel that all those municipalities near the KY border will go for her though.  I read somewhere that one part of IN is an extension of IL and another is an extension of KY.

I hope that portends to VOTES on the KY side of things for Senator Clinton.

I highly doubt it (none / 0) (#8)
    by andgarden on Tue May 06, 2008 at 01:10:53 PM EST
    It's AA population is too high and it is too close to Chicago.

Gary will go to Obama. (none / 0) (#14)
    by vicsan on Tue May 06, 2008 at 01:13:42 PM EST
    No doubt about it. So will Hammond and the small towns around Indianapolis. Hillary should do very well in the rest of the state.

Eh (none / 0) (#43)
    by nell on Tue May 06, 2008 at 03:08:59 PM EST
    I canvassed in Hammond and there was A LOT of support for Hillary. Obama has some strong support to, but I think Hammond will be close and Hillary will take it by a small margin.

Hillary will take Hammond? (none / 0) (#52)
    by vicsan on Tue May 06, 2008 at 03:42:17 PM EST
    I don't think so, but we shall see soon enough. I HOPE she does, but I just don't see how that can happen there.

Are you (none / 0) (#59)
    by nell on Tue May 06, 2008 at 03:52:43 PM EST
    from Indiana? Hammond has a lot of blue collar neighborhoods that are HEAVILY for Hillary, plus she has the enthusiastic backing of the mayor. I don't think it will be a blowout, but I do think she will carry the town. I could be wrong, but just based on what I saw while I was there, the support was stronger than I anticipated.

No, but I'm just over the border. (none / 0) (#64)
    by vicsan on Tue May 06, 2008 at 04:40:50 PM EST

I would give her (none / 0) (#10)
    by txpolitico67 on Tue May 06, 2008 at 01:11:19 PM EST
    District 3...close to Ohio.  Maybe that is hoping too much for my line of thinking (closer to OH/KY, more likely to vote HRC.)

This is what they say about the Chicago media market creep regarding Indiana, so hopefully no one thinks I'm tooling.

Media buys (none / 0) (#22)
    by Kathy on Tue May 06, 2008 at 01:42:39 PM EST
    didn't help him so much in TX, PA, OH, etc.  Maybe they shouldn't be weighted as much this time around?  We shall see...!

I meant 2 (none / 0) (#5)
    by dissenter on Tue May 06, 2008 at 01:03:47 PM EST

Somebody tell me the obvious (none / 0) (#25)
    by kmblue on Tue May 06, 2008 at 01:50:00 PM EST
    when do polls close?
    I am on EST time (in Atlanta).

7:30 EST in NC n/t (none / 0) (#27)
    by angie on Tue May 06, 2008 at 01:53:46 PM EST
    D'oh I bet you meant IN (none / 0) (#28)
    by angie on Tue May 06, 2008 at 01:55:42 PM EST
    since this is an IN thread -- 7:00 EDT then.

and thank you (none / 0) (#26)
    by kmblue on Tue May 06, 2008 at 01:50:24 PM EST
    in advance.

Awaiting the results in Evansville (none / 0) (#32)
    by Slado on Tue May 06, 2008 at 01:59:21 PM EST
    I contemplated particiapating in "operation Chaos" this morning but instead I will watch the results as an honest observer.

An Obama supported did call our house last night and asked my wife..."who will you be supporting tomorrow in the primary"...she ansered "McCain"...there was a breif pause and then the nice young lady said..."So I gues you won't be voting".  Don't they have a way to know that we're both registered republicans?

I think Hillary will carry my corner of the state easily since we are a heavily republican district nationally and our democratic congressman is a democrat in name only.

Interesting (none / 0) (#44)
    by nell on Tue May 06, 2008 at 03:10:36 PM EST
    that the Obama campaign is calling republicans. The Hillary campaign made a decision not to call republicans, only dems and independents.

Where's 7 on the map? (none / 0) (#50)
    by tree on Tue May 06, 2008 at 03:40:37 PM EST
    Maybe I've gone blind, but for the life of me I can't find 7 on the map you drew, Jeralyn. 1 thru 6 and 8 and 9 are there, but where's 7?

It's in the middle (none / 0) (#54)
    by andgarden on Tue May 06, 2008 at 03:44:45 PM EST
    It's Indianapolis and burbs.

It's Indianopolis (none / 0) (#55)
    by Jeralyn on Tue May 06, 2008 at 03:46:08 PM EST
    Marion, as I said above, I had to white the 7 out when doing the map because there wouldn't have been room to put the text in. Sorry.

Thanks n /t (none / 0) (#62)
    by tree on Tue May 06, 2008 at 04:09:10 PM EST