Thursday Open Thread

Here's a new open thread, all topics welcome.

< Canadian Shooting Suspect Zehaf-Bibeau 's Background

From the last open thread, FWIW (5.00 / 1) (#1)
    by Reconstructionist on Thu Oct 23, 2014 at 01:16:31 PM EST
      The Pew study and punditfact report (it's not a study in any real sense of the word) were measuring two very different things

PEW did a survey to determine to what extent the various media personalities are trusted by the population.

Punditfact claims to be measuring to what extent the media personalities are truthful or untruthful.

Those are two very different things and I would tend to doubt that actual truthfulness is closely correlated with level of trust.

I'd also note that Even if two were equally trusted and also equally untruthful as validly measured, the good or bad that flows from that would not be equal. Someone with twice the audience and whose audience is more devoted and passionate would have a far greater impact than someone with equal truthful/trusted scores.

Anyone Else Wonder... (5.00 / 2) (#2)
    by ScottW714 on Thu Oct 23, 2014 at 01:38:07 PM EST
    ...if these threads that blow up into... large disputes, are sometimes created when the open threads fill up and people just want to post something.  Often, getting pulled into something they wouldn't if there was an open thread.

IMO the 200 limit, isn't enough as readership increases, or appears to have increased.

Someone once accused me of posting last minute just so no one could reply.  That never occurred to me, but I am aware that if I want to discuss something, that I won't post in a thread over say 170.  For the record, I have never posted in hopes no one could reply, that defeats the entire purpose of any blog.

I dunno (5.00 / 1) (#3)
    by CST on Thu Oct 23, 2014 at 01:41:31 PM EST
    it's not like the open threads don't blow up into large disputes as well.

I think these are just hot button issues that people feel strongly about.

And...... (5.00 / 3) (#5)
    by kdog on Thu Oct 23, 2014 at 01:48:27 PM EST
    some people simply enjoy a more combative & argumentative style of debate/conversation.

I am not one of those people...I'd never make it in an Italian family;)

Or a Greek one, (5.00 / 1) (#6)
    by Zorba on Thu Oct 23, 2014 at 01:58:04 PM EST
    for that matter, kdog.    ;-)

Touche!... (none / 0) (#9)
    by kdog on Thu Oct 23, 2014 at 02:14:02 PM EST
    Can't relate, as Colin Sullivan said about the Irish..."I'm f*cking Irish, I'll deal with something being wrong for the rest of my life and not say a f*cking word!" ;)

something about the internet (none / 0) (#8)
    by CST on Thu Oct 23, 2014 at 02:03:45 PM EST
    brings out the troll in people I think.

I'm definitely more argumentative online then I am in person.  Sometimes something someone writes can rub you the wrong way, could even be for a completely unrelated personal reason, and it's much easier to take it out on some "stranger" on a blog than it is if you were having a conversation in real life.

No doubt... (5.00 / 1) (#10)
    by kdog on Thu Oct 23, 2014 at 02:16:54 PM EST
    I'm definitely more outspoken on TL, if not argumentative (I hope).  Where as in brick and mortal circles I'm much more likely to shrug my shoulders and just say "f*ck it, whadyya gonna do?".

There's a reason any reputable bar or pub prohibits discussions or religion or politics...alotta people just can't handle it without losing their sh*t and taking it personal.

I can assure everyone here (5.00 / 1) (#17)
    by Slado on Thu Oct 23, 2014 at 04:05:48 PM EST
    if you had a conversation with me in person I'm just as argumentative.

Not sure if that's good or bad.

Ditto (none / 0) (#31)
    by CaptHowdy on Thu Oct 23, 2014 at 04:36:21 PM EST
    maybe more so.

Threads are limited to 200 comments (5.00 / 1) (#4)
    by sarcastic unnamed one on Thu Oct 23, 2014 at 01:44:06 PM EST
    because longer threads make the site run very s l o w l y . . .

If the tread is over 100 (none / 0) (#11)
    by Wile ECoyote on Thu Oct 23, 2014 at 02:53:40 PM EST
    I stop reading it.  It seems to degenerate into insults, generally.

our very own (none / 0) (#12)
    by CST on Thu Oct 23, 2014 at 03:06:51 PM EST
    TL hipster :)

I prefer not commenting (none / 0) (#29)
    by CaptHowdy on Thu Oct 23, 2014 at 04:35:00 PM EST
    UNTIL there is 100 comments.  You know, make an entrance.

That's a good point, and I agree. (none / 0) (#21)
    by Donald from Hawaii on Thu Oct 23, 2014 at 04:12:53 PM EST
    From my perspective, I've oftentimes posted information or stories that I've found interesting and / or important, simply because I thought it might be worthwhile for others here to know about it. I'm not necessarily looking for replies or validation, or even to start a general conversation about it.

One example from yesterday was my post about the belated criminal convictions of the four Blackwater security personnel who perpetrated a civilian massacre of civilians in Baghdad's Nisour Square back in Sept. 2007.

Seven years ago, in the midst of our military occupation of Iraq, the Nisour Square massacre was a huge story -- today, probably not so much. But I still thought it important, because I remember that there were a lot of people back then who were absolutely certain that these guys were going to walk and not even be charged. That ultimately proved to not be the case, given their convictions, and I felt that yesterday's news finally brought that story full circle and could even provide some small sense of closure for some people.

So, I guess my advice to everyone here would be that if something interests you and you feel like sharing or commenting, then by all means please do so, and don't worry about how full that day's Open Thread happens to be. If yours is Post No. 193 and someone wants to discuss it with you, that 200-comment limit is his / her problem and not yours.

Because of the significant time difference between Hawaii and the U.S. mainland -- I'm five hours behind you in Texas, and six hours behind everyone back east -- I often come online long after the rest of you have probably called it a day and turned in for the night. More often than not, the open threads are either full or almost so.

But I still read the comments anyway, because a lot of you offer insight, information, (recipes!) and assorted links to articles, video and material that I might not otherwise have seen and known about. I'm not just here to be a bombthrower -- even though my finger's admittedly still on the switch for those bomb bay doors, just in case I see something that I think needs some blowin' up real good.

Aloha. ;-D

Sam Harris (5.00 / 1) (#20)
    by Slado on Thu Oct 23, 2014 at 04:10:44 PM EST
    Very interesting discussion on TYT Network between Sam Harris and Cenk Uygur were Sam Harris lays out his ponit very clearly and defends his postions quite well.   They over the Maher debate in much detail because it's 3 hours long.

Even at 3 hours long it's very interesting.

YouTube

Ain't that a kick... (none / 0) (#7)
    by kdog on Thu Oct 23, 2014 at 01:58:59 PM EST
    in the head!  Oops, wrong head...lemme try the fist.

Money comment..."If you see something, kick something".  Now that's gallows humor gold!

I think we need another round of NHL expansion, give the goons another avenue of employment besides cop and robber.  Never mind, they generally fight fair in the NHL, none of that 5 on 1 sh*t.

I have to say, (none / 0) (#13)
    by Zorba on Thu Oct 23, 2014 at 03:11:52 PM EST
    Some of the comments were pretty darned funny.   :-)

It has become almost comical... (none / 0) (#14)
    by kdog on Thu Oct 23, 2014 at 03:13:52 PM EST
    how the NYPD does thuggery with impunity...better to laugh than to cry....while snarky internet comments are still legal anyway.

Well, it's almost (none / 0) (#30)
    by Zorba on Thu Oct 23, 2014 at 04:36:05 PM EST
    comical, as long as you're not the one on the receiving end of one of their beat-downs.
    Theater of the Absurd.

Pope Francis says (none / 0) (#15)
    by CaptHowdy on Thu Oct 23, 2014 at 04:02:50 PM EST
    Abolish the Death Penalty

I'm coming around to liking this guy.

and life in prison. (none / 0) (#16)
    by CaptHowdy on Thu Oct 23, 2014 at 04:05:01 PM EST
    VATICAN CITY (CNS) -- Pope Francis called for abolition of the death penalty as well as life imprisonment, and denounced what he called a "penal populism" that promises to solve society's problems by punishing crime instead of pursuing social justice.

Me too (none / 0) (#19)
    by Slado on Thu Oct 23, 2014 at 04:08:17 PM EST
    Why I like him is he is preaching the true message of Catholicism and focusing less on the less important rules and practices.

It's hard to square the death penalty when you defend life in all forms.   One can quibble with the defense of human embryo's and even early term abortion (as I do) but at least the Pope is consistent.

That (none / 0) (#39)
    by Ga6thDem on Thu Oct 23, 2014 at 04:51:40 PM EST
    is the one thing that so many conservatives do that makes no sense. They want to save every blastocyst in existence but don't even treat most people with even basic human dignity. I'm not even talking about the people who mass murdered. I'm talking about people who are having a hard time making ends meet and need some help.

He's Got to Driving Concervative... (none / 0) (#18)
    by ScottW714 on Thu Oct 23, 2014 at 04:07:28 PM EST
    ...Catholics insane.  Last year poverty and helping folks, this year so far, excepting gay people and getting ride of the death penalty.

Not bad, he's more liberal then the guy I voted for currently running the country.

I'm sure he is driving them crazy. (none / 0) (#25)
    by Donald from Hawaii on Thu Oct 23, 2014 at 04:26:05 PM EST
    Good. The more right-wing heads that explode on his watch, the better. When Rush Limbaugh accused Pope Francis last year of preaching Marxist ideology, my own faith in the Holy Mother Church began to be restored.

He (none / 0) (#37)
    by Ga6thDem on Thu Oct 23, 2014 at 04:49:08 PM EST
    is driving conservative Catholics insane. Apparently on Maundy Thursday one year he washed the foot of a Muslim woman. Apparently that caused a major meltdown and I'm sure there are others.

Hasn't the Catholic church always been (none / 0) (#23)
    by ruffian on Thu Oct 23, 2014 at 04:20:21 PM EST
    against the death penalty? Maybe they just never actually called for anyone to actually abolish it. Good work Francis!

From Another Thread... (none / 0) (#22)
    by ScottW714 on Thu Oct 23, 2014 at 04:17:33 PM EST
    ...10 things US Does Better Than Anywhere Else.

I would add nitwits doing stupid S for YouTube.  No one knows how to launch a bottle rocket from their bhole like an America teenager.

A dubious distinction (5.00 / 1) (#24)
    by CaptHowdy on Thu Oct 23, 2014 at 04:25:56 PM EST
    but it's our dubious distinction.

Maybe there will be a sequel (none / 0) (#27)
    by oculus on Thu Oct 23, 2014 at 04:32:39 PM EST
    to "Bottle Rocket," a wonderfully amusing movie.

On sequels (none / 0) (#34)
    by CaptHowdy on Thu Oct 23, 2014 at 04:41:27 PM EST
    I dunno about that (none / 0) (#32)
    by CST on Thu Oct 23, 2014 at 04:36:23 PM EST
    have you seen the $hit Russians post on youtube?

I was going to mention this (none / 0) (#33)
    by CaptHowdy on Thu Oct 23, 2014 at 04:39:02 PM EST
    they are becoming a real threat.

They could have added household income (none / 0) (#35)
    by toggle on Thu Oct 23, 2014 at 04:43:12 PM EST
    It's a pet peeve of mine that no one in the US seems to realize that we have so much more disposable income than any other country in the world.

wiki: (none / 0) (#36)
    by sarcastic unnamed one on Thu Oct 23, 2014 at 04:47:38 PM EST
    Disposable income

1      United States     38,753
    2      Ireland     38,210
    3      Luxembourg     33,373
    4      Australia     33,319
    5      Switzerland     32,066

Depends how you count (none / 0) (#38)
    by CST on Thu Oct 23, 2014 at 04:49:26 PM EST
    Highest average, yes.  Highest median, no.  In other words, there are some people at the top skewing that metric.

That's true... (none / 0) (#40)
    by toggle on Thu Oct 23, 2014 at 04:54:41 PM EST
    Only if you forget to adjust for cost of living, taxes, and the like.

what? (none / 0) (#41)
    by CST on Thu Oct 23, 2014 at 04:56:39 PM EST
    Are you saying that when median income is adjusted the U.S. is first?  Could you provide a source for that?

Or that average income is adjusted and median is not, because if that's the case I think you don't really understand statistics very well.

Hey Floridians! (none / 0) (#26)
    by CaptHowdy on Thu Oct 23, 2014 at 04:27:53 PM EST