Israel Expected to Continue Strikes Against Hamas
From what I gather in the news about Israel's air strikes against Hamas in the Gaza Strip:
- There was a cease fire but it ended earlier this month.
- Most of the 225 killed were militant Hamas policemen, since a principal target was Hamas police headquarters, although hundreds were injured and there were some civilians and children who died. Most of the strikes were on security compounds and militant bases.
- Israel had been planning the attacks for some time due to Hamas's refusal to stop sending rockets into Israel
- The Bush Administration blames Hamas. Condoleeza Rice blames Hamas because it kept sending rockets into Israel
"We strongly condemn the repeated rocket and mortar attacks against Israel and hold Hamas responsible for breaking the ceasefire and for the renewal of violence there. The ceasefire must be restored immediately and fully respected."
- This can't be good news for Obama, who will take office with Iraq, Afghanistan and Pakistan already on the front burners. And neither he, nor any American president, may have much control over what goes on between Israel and Hamas.
Daniel Levy at Huffpo adds his perspective. Your Thoughts?
|< Late Night: R.I.P. Delaney Bramlett | Sunday Open Thread >|