Friday Open Thread

I've not read one thing about today's UnFestivities.

Here's an open thread, all topics welcome.

< "El Chapo" Press Conference in Brooklyn

My Great Uncle Danny (5.00 / 1) (#15)
    by andgarden on Fri Jan 20, 2017 at 05:47:35 PM EST
    My Great Uncle Danny died yesterday at 94. He grew up in the Bronx, joined the marines at 18 (1941), served in the pacific, then went to Columbia for grad school on the GI bill. He eventually ended up in Hawaii, where he lived between the 1970s and his death. He was living independently until a few months ago, when he took a fall, as sometimes happens with people of that age. I finally got my Grandma--Danny's younger sister--to laugh this morning when I said that I think Danny just decided to exit on his own terms (he always did everything on his own terms) and didn't want to see one minute of the Trump Presidency.

After hearing the theme of Trump's speech this afternoon--I did not watch myself--it was hard not to reflect on the fact that unlike Trump, Danny was personally familiar with the first "America First" campaign.

I don't think Danny had any confusion about what Trump represented, or what we face.

Sorry for your loss (5.00 / 1) (#16)
    by MKS on Fri Jan 20, 2017 at 05:59:06 PM EST
    Long time, no see.....

I am sorry for the loss of your Great Uncle Danny. (none / 0) (#17)
    by vml68 on Fri Jan 20, 2017 at 06:02:43 PM EST
    Sounds like he was a wonderful man.

And, Hello!!! Stranger. Hope the lawyer life is treating you well.

I called Schumer's (none / 0) (#1)
    by MKS on Fri Jan 20, 2017 at 02:16:50 PM EST
    office and told the staffer that Schumer is the last Democrat standing with any leverage left, now that Obama has left.  It is all on Schumer now.

I told her today is a terrible day and we are all now relying on Schumer and his staff to save us from this new guy.

I at least felt better.

Reviews (none / 0) (#2)
    by Ga6thDem on Fri Jan 20, 2017 at 02:52:11 PM EST
    of Trump's speech seem to be it was dark and dystopian. So like his approval numbers the left and the center detested it and the far right loved it.

Conservative Republican, (none / 0) (#3)
    by KeysDan on Fri Jan 20, 2017 at 03:11:44 PM EST
    David Brooks (NYTimes, "Internal Invasion", Jan 20): This is a remarkable day in the history of the country.  We have never over the centuries ever inaugurated a man like Trump as president of the USA."  ...." We have never had a major national leader as professionally unprepared, intellectually ill-informed, morally compromised, and temperamentally unfit as the man taking the oath.."

Mr. Brooks calls for all Americans to unite by "containing" Trump.  However, in his inaugural address, Trump see unity, not as something he works for, but rather, Americans are expected to do the work so as to unite behind his vision. Those who do not are not patriotic. Dissent is not heralded.

So, Brooks needs to beware: we have methods.  It is as if all Americans have now been involuntarily enrolled in Trump University.  We can look forward to our golden diplomas and new golden lives.  All those white rural people will not be forgotten, nor will all those white swamp dwellers. Indeed, everything will be golden, including showers.

The rest of Trump's address was stock rally talk, although he did have enough of the sense of the historical moment so as not to demand imprisonment or assassination of his political opponents on stage.

But, based on the restive response to Democratic Senator, Chuck Schumer's, patriotic remarks and the looks on the faces of some of those wearing make-america-great-again tractor caps, it would not take much for them to follow their leader off the cliff..no cliff being too high.

A weekend for a movie, maybe an old TCM classic movie; Dr.Strangelove would be appropriate.  And, Saturday night, don't forget to turn your clock back--200 years.

Re: the "restive response" to Schumer (none / 0) (#4)
    by MKS on Fri Jan 20, 2017 at 03:25:19 PM EST
    So, its sounds like you watched the Inauguration.

I am glad that Schumer gave some pushback at the formal event.

Yes, (none / 0) (#5)
    by KeysDan on Fri Jan 20, 2017 at 03:38:58 PM EST
    I did watch. The side events were worth it. President and Secretary Clinton looked good..Mrs. Clinton was radiant, wore a winter white coat (as did Mrs. Laura Bush, who also looked good, President Bush not as much).   Crowds seemed sparse, from a TV viewer perspective.

Nice to see the dignified departures of the Obamas and Bidens. Chaffetz had the bad taste to offer his hand to Mrs. Clinton on the way out.  She was, of course, gracious and presidential.  Much talk is made of President Obama speaking up when needed. The country could use the voice as well of Secretary Clinton. A little time is needed, perhaps, but her constructive criticisms will be needed.

Didn't take long: it is reported that the WH website, as of 12:01 noon, pages on climate change, civil rights and LGBT rights taken down. Also, similar take downs on studies at Labor Department.

Yeah , that creep Chaffetz shook her hand (none / 0) (#7)
    by vml68 on Fri Jan 20, 2017 at 03:53:44 PM EST
    and then tweeted this.
    Did not have the courage to say that to her face. What a d0uchebag.

I did not watch the Inauguration but have been reading BTD's tweets. About all I can handle today.

I got a bunch of DVDs from the library today. Husband is out of the country, so dogs and I will be watching Billy Elliot and Transamerica this evening.

Felicity Huffman kills it in Transamerica (none / 0) (#9)
    by jondee on Fri Jan 20, 2017 at 04:47:11 PM EST
    I saw both of those movies when they first came (none / 0) (#14)
    by vml68 on Fri Jan 20, 2017 at 05:43:48 PM EST
    out (no pun intended!) and liked them then, so thought I would watch again. I remember being wowed by Felicity Huffman's performance. Good enough reason to watch it a second time.

200 years ago (none / 0) (#11)
    by jondee on Fri Jan 20, 2017 at 04:52:12 PM EST
    when the only reactionary conspiracy theory, aside from religion itself, was that the Indians were descended from the Lost Tribes of Israel.

Darkness at Noon (none / 0) (#6)
    by MKS on Fri Jan 20, 2017 at 03:47:14 PM EST
    The oath was at Noon.  And on a Friday to boot.

And, now we have a baby Caligula....

This analogy works it seems quite well.

This is the dawning of the Age of Dystopia. (none / 0) (#8)
    by Donald from Hawaii on Fri Jan 20, 2017 at 04:17:09 PM EST
    We're flying to Honolulu tonight to the Democratic Unity concert at the Waikiki Shell, and then we'll take part in the Women's March tomorrow at the State Capitol. (I've accumulated so many airline miles, I might as well put them to good use.) We'll be back tomorrow night.

I Didn't Watch (none / 0) (#10)
    by RickyJim on Fri Jan 20, 2017 at 04:49:45 PM EST
    but I read the annotated version of the inaugural address done by the NYTimes.  For example Trump's statement: "Together we will make America strong again. We will make America wealthy again".  Had the comment: "America has never been wealthier. The issue, as Mr. Trump noted earlier in his speech, is that the middle class is not benefiting from that prosperity, which is accumulating disproportionately in the hands of a wealthy minority (the latter fact was not pointed out by Trump-RJ).
    Binyamin Appelbaum, Economic Policy reporter"

Basically, there was nothing in the speech about the following major problems or even a hint that he regards them as a danger to the nation:

1. World overpopulation.
    2. Income inequality.
    3. Climate change.
    4. Access to weapons of mass destruction.

General (Warrior Monk), (none / 0) (#12)
    by KeysDan on Fri Jan 20, 2017 at 05:13:25 PM EST
    Mattis was confirmed Friday as Secretary of Defense, the first Trump cabinet officer confirmed.

Today's events... (none / 0) (#13)
    by kdog on Fri Jan 20, 2017 at 05:37:11 PM EST
    call for something beautiful and fast.

Larry & Teresa tomorrow night in Bay Shore will do it...Keep your lamps trimmed and burning my friends.