Friday Open Thread

RIP Alan Colmes, who has died after a short illness. He really was a gentleman, who never needed to shout to get his views across. It was always a pleasure to appear on Hannity & Colmes back in the days when Fox at least wanted to appear to be fair and balanced.

I'll be back to blogging this weekend, in the meantime, here's a new open thread, all topics welcome.

< Trump Issues Two Immigration Implementation Orders

From (5.00 / 1) (#4)
    by FlJoe on Fri Feb 24, 2017 at 10:36:40 AM EST
    you can't make this sht up department.
    Staffers at CPAC quickly scrambled to confiscate Russian flags with the word "TRUMP" written on the front that were being waved by attendees during President Donald Trump's speech on Friday.

CPAC (none / 0) (#5)
    by Ga6thDem on Fri Feb 24, 2017 at 11:34:30 AM EST
    has been in nothing but damage control mode the entire time it seems.

Ga...you and I are missing out on a fine (none / 0) (#19)
    by Militarytracy on Fri Feb 24, 2017 at 02:41:41 PM EST
    Business opportunity.  We could set up shop outside Trump rallies selling those flags and T-shirts. Trump that B*tch doesn't mean anything offensive enough now for the Deplorables. We can give them a hand you know, and pay a few bills to boot.

Yeah, it's (none / 0) (#24)
    by Ga6thDem on Fri Feb 24, 2017 at 04:13:33 PM EST
    kind of obvious that these people are begging you to help them part with their money. We could wear We Are Here to Fleece on our shirts and get away with it :)

A few thoughts (none / 0) (#1)
    by FlJoe on Fri Feb 24, 2017 at 09:24:12 AM EST
    on the Laurel and Hardy comedy hour at CPAC yesterday (my bold through out)
    First the appropriately named Schlapp gives the invocation,
    You know, I know you all know this, but the last time a president came to CPAC in his first year, it was Ronald Reagan.
    (APPLAUSE) Saint Ronald in 1981

Bannon makes a funny

I happen to believe, and I think many others do, he's probably the great public speaker in those large arenas since William Jennings Bryan.

Then lays out his true agenda,
    Just like they were dead wrong on the chaos of the campaign and just like they were dead wrong in the chaos of the transition, they are absolutely dead wrong about what's going on today
    The greatest Chaos ever!

Bannon seemed (none / 0) (#6)
    by KeysDan on Fri Feb 24, 2017 at 11:37:36 AM EST
    to misrepresent Jacques Derrida's "deconstruction" as a way of criticizing.  Bannon's "deconstruction of the administrative state," is to blow it all up so as to create bias, flaws and inconsistencies. Whereas, Derrida works to render justice through deconstruction that takes apart so as to expose bias, flaws and inconsistencies.  But, that  ersatz Laurel and Hardy act did take on a cringe-worthy, but revelatory, power play to be admired by even Euro philosophers.

I think (5.00 / 1) (#7)
    by FlJoe on Fri Feb 24, 2017 at 11:50:48 AM EST
    Priebus does a better Peewee Herman than Stan Laurel, but that's just my opinion.

Bannon seems (none / 0) (#11)
    by KeysDan on Fri Feb 24, 2017 at 12:25:44 PM EST
    to see a lot of Mussolini in Priebus, although I do not get the resemblance.  Interview, last Bannon response Bannon complimenting Priebus on his beautiful administrative skills:  " toughest job...to make it run every day, and make the trains... "

For my money... (none / 0) (#18)
    by desertswine on Fri Feb 24, 2017 at 01:57:32 PM EST
    these guys are Nazis.

Maybe a new name (none / 0) (#25)
    by KeysDan on Fri Feb 24, 2017 at 04:15:48 PM EST
    is needed, but Trump does take after the most vulnerable (refugees, immigrants, trans people). And, his full court press on the press to delegitimatize, confuse (fake news and news); rely on what he says,  undermine the judiciary (so called judges), scapegoats, divisive, a Congress that is his very own chamber of deputies. And, his attempts to marry business and government. Governing on his 39 percent approval core. I will stick, for now, with Il Duce light.

Yeah, instead of blackshirts, (none / 0) (#26)
    by desertswine on Fri Feb 24, 2017 at 04:40:34 PM EST
    he's got Redcaps.

You are right. For a guy with a bunch of (5.00 / 1) (#10)
    by Peter G on Fri Feb 24, 2017 at 12:24:34 PM EST
    fancy degrees, it is surprising that Bannon would so blatantly confuse "deconstruction" with "destruction," which is what he seemingly meant.

Some (5.00 / 1) (#15)
    by FlJoe on Fri Feb 24, 2017 at 01:10:03 PM EST
    (Updated) lyrics from Bannon's playlist:
    And you tell me over and over and over again my friend
    You don't believe were on the eve of deconstruction

and

But when you talk about deconstruction
    Don't you know that you can count me in

and one of my all time faves

And the riot squad they're restless, they need somewhere to go
    As Lady and I look out tonight, from Deconstruction Row

As has been said before around here (none / 0) (#16)
    by Peter G on Fri Feb 24, 2017 at 01:21:38 PM EST
    more than once, I wish I could give that comment a rating of 10!

and (none / 0) (#17)
    by FlJoe on Fri Feb 24, 2017 at 01:27:13 PM EST
    we shouldn't forget his favorite album,
    "Appetite for Deconstruction"

I think that ... (none / 0) (#20)
    by Donald from Hawaii on Fri Feb 24, 2017 at 03:48:34 PM EST
    ... "Eva Destruction" would be a fabulous name for Bannon's alter ego / drag persona.

You guys are pathetically literal (none / 0) (#27)
    by Mr Natural on Fri Feb 24, 2017 at 04:41:45 PM EST
    Bannon's a professional crap artist.  Internet text is a tool, not an absolute.  There are no blue pencils on the internet.  He does what he wants with the words.  Whatever makes it flow.  Whatever draws readers.  Whatever wins for him.  That's all he gives a damn about.  His use of deconstruction, which I have used myself in precisely the same way, is a smirking nod to others forced to suffer through readings of  Derrida's polysyllabic dreck and the same droning self-impressed tedious lecturers.

Nobody outside of academia gives a rip about Derrida and his celebrated cleverness.  On the internet, there is no erudition.  There is only content, clicks, Adwords, and transience.  If Derrida was the subject of your purloined translation/paper, Peter, I feel for you.

Bannon uses language as a weapon.  Y'all tut tutters have been caught way behind the front lines created by the Bannon wehrmacht.  I'll go further; you're buried behind his front lines.

For years I've been told by people here and elsewhere that Breitbart wasn't worth the waste of time reading, that it was rubbish, that no one with a brain wasted their time on it.  What is ironic is that I took you guys at your word.  I didn't read anything in Breitbart.

Breitbart was so despised that the mere presence of an article in Breitbart was accepted as sufficient for a blanket dismissal of the article, its author, and every element of the article.

As a result, I know almost nothing about Breitbart.  I don't know its history.  I don't know the writers.  I don't have a hint of its agenda.

Oh, I've been told what to believe.  But believing in Devils had gotten me no further than believing in Angels.

Nothing we're doing is working.  Nothing.

You are right (none / 0) (#32)
    by jimakaPPJ on Fri Feb 24, 2017 at 05:26:37 PM EST
    Nothing we're doing is working.  Nothing.

I agree Fox was better when Colmes (none / 0) (#2)
    by McBain on Fri Feb 24, 2017 at 09:55:31 AM EST
    was a regular

Colmes was a stooge (5.00 / 1) (#9)
    by Repack Rider on Fri Feb 24, 2017 at 12:08:41 PM EST
    ...In the classic vaudeville sense.

A "stooge" was a character who was abused for the entertainment of the crowd.  The "Three Stooges" got their start in vaudeville as the foils for comic beatings from a "straight man" named Ted Healy   They ditched the straight man and took the concept to film.

By providing an unresisting "liberal" who allowed himself to be verbally slapped around, FOX got to claim they represented a spectrum of political thought.

In my opinion, what they provided was more like a speculum.

Colmes was not a liberal. A liberal fights for morality and logic, and does not allow himself to be bullied by fools. IOW, Paul Krugman is a liberal, Colmes was a guy who played one on TV. Yuuuge difference.

My condolences to his family.

When I Used to Watch Fox (none / 0) (#14)
    by RickyJim on Fri Feb 24, 2017 at 12:59:57 PM EST
    I noticed that when O'Reilly, Hannity etc, would have a left wing guest to balance one of their viewpoints, the guest was often pretty goofy and not capable of making the best case.  I assumed this was intentional.

Judge will allow one additional accuser to (none / 0) (#3)
    by McBain on Fri Feb 24, 2017 at 10:32:42 AM EST
    testify against Bill Cosby in upcoming case.
    Prosecutors in suburban Philadelphia had asked the judge to let 13 other women testify, a list they developed after reviewing claims by nearly 50 of the accusers who have come forward in recent years. The defense objected to their testimony, saying the string of old "casting couch" claims are not unique to Cosby and therefore not part of "signature" behavior...

...The one witness who can testify says she was assaulted by Cosby in 1996 in Los Angeles.

Judge O'Neill is working hard, it seems (none / 0) (#12)
    by Peter G on Fri Feb 24, 2017 at 12:26:27 PM EST
    to me, to ensure a fair trial for Cosby, despite strong pressure from both the prosecution and the defense to sabotage that effort.

Agreed. (none / 0) (#23)
    by Donald from Hawaii on Fri Feb 24, 2017 at 04:04:40 PM EST
    The only apparent purpose for allowing 13 of Bill Cosby's documented accusers to testify would be to overtly prejudice the jury against the defendant with an avalanche of innuendo, and not necessarily enlighten them on the actual specifics of the immediate matter before them.

If prosecutors' stated intent is to imply a pattern of bad conduct, one witness should suffice. Even then, I would think that Judge O'Neill would ensure that this witness's testimony be limited to her own particular situation and hers alone. That is, she speaks for herself only, and her story is not representative of those various tales from the 13 to 50 other women who've thus far leveled accusations.

Aloha.

Hail, Caesar! (none / 0) (#31)
    by jondee on Fri Feb 24, 2017 at 05:19:06 PM EST
    the Coen brothers flick, has as one of the main characters, Eddie Mannix, who was a show business "fixer" back in day, whose specialty was getting the Clark Gables and Errol Flynns of the world out of trouble and keeping potential pr-disaster scandals swept under the rug and out of the newspapers and tabloids..

Sounds like Cosby could've used one or two Eddie Mannixes. Where are they when you need them?

Trump: "The Era of Empty Talk is Over" (none / 0) (#8)
    by Mr Natural on Fri Feb 24, 2017 at 12:00:36 PM EST
    Wearing clothing costing more than many (none / 0) (#13)
    by Mr Natural on Fri Feb 24, 2017 at 12:38:20 PM EST
    can put down on a car, or pay for some cars, EdSec DeVos seems to refuse to be as hateful as her hateful bosses.

NPR: DeVos, Defiant At CPAC, Walks A Fine Line On Transgender Rights

Over roast duck, yellow curry, and papaya salad, I had a long discussion last night with someone many of whose downriver Detroit relatives voted for the orange man.

Many of them are denying it now.  EdSec DeVos is roundly distrusted or hated.  Her conservative, fundamentalist brother refuses to insult Trump over the phone, warning her that the NSA is listening.  This from a guy who runs a successful software business; he's not an idiot.  Cousins who trumpeted for Trump pre election are now denying having voted for him.  An uncle, 75 years old, brags that he didn't vote for Trump; he "protest voted" against both candidates.  He's mortified when she tells him, "you voted for Trump."

A cognitive dissonance meltdown is in the offing.

Is Betsy trying to ... (5.00 / 1) (#22)
    by kdog on Fri Feb 24, 2017 at 03:53:26 PM EST
    steal a play from the Democratic Party playbook?  Wow the rubes with your sensitivity and inclusiveness, and then sell the textbooks out the backdoor when no one is looking?

A Purple Cow in Every Garage (none / 0) (#28)
    by Mr Natural on Fri Feb 24, 2017 at 04:54:58 PM EST
    Trump must have (none / 0) (#21)
    by KeysDan on Fri Feb 24, 2017 at 03:51:07 PM EST
    felt he needed to gin up his CPAC crowd. Of course, the usual about his big win, but also, his golden oldie to prompt "lock her up."

If only he had yelled "Allahu Akbar" ... (none / 0) (#29)
    by Donald from Hawaii on Fri Feb 24, 2017 at 04:55:32 PM EST
    ... rather than "Get out of my country," this would be the lead story in the media right now:

The Washington Post | February 24, 2017
    He yelled `Get out of my country,' witnesses say, and then shot 2 men from India, killing one - "Authorities in Kansas filed first-degree murder charges against a man accused of opening fire in a bar there, killing one Indian man, injuring two other people and causing fears about bigotry to reverberate across the globe. According to witness accounts, the gunman reportedly told two of the people who were shot -- both Indian men who work for Garmin, the technology firm -- to 'get out of my country' before opening fire and had also used racial slurs during the Wednesday evening shooting."

Behold, the face of white Christianist terrorism.

White House Bars News Organizations (none / 0) (#30)
    by Mr Natural on Fri Feb 24, 2017 at 05:10:33 PM EST
    Trump White House Bars News Organizations From Press Briefing

Limber up and learn to goosestep, kiddies.