Tech Talk

My iPhone 5s died yesterday. It just wouldn't turn on. I ended up having to plug it into my computer and restore the factory settings, and then an old backup. It took hours, and it worked -- until this morning. Dead as a doornail again.

I took it to the Apple store, and without my even asking, they offered me a brand new phone, same model. They set it up in 5 minutes. (Now I have to sync it and get all my music and apps back on it, but at least I won't have to keep doing it tomorrow and the next day.) Thank you Apple!

Apple is coming out with a 13" iPad. I still have the original iPad, which doesn't work with a lot of more advanced video apps, so maybe it will be time for a new one. I really like the big screen -- but then, I'm one of the few people I know who still prefer a desktop to a laptop. Anyone else tempted to buy it? [More...]

In early September, the iPhone 6 is rumored to be coming, and an iWatch.

Question: Does anyone know how to get the bubbles out of a screen protector for the iPhone? I put one on the new phone a few minutes ago and there are four or five bubbles that aren't releasing with the cloth they supplied.

Let's keep this thread tech-related, but it doesn't have to be about Apple. All tech-related comments are welcome.

< Wednesday Open Thread

Me (none / 0) (#1)
    by CaptHowdy on Wed Aug 27, 2014 at 09:51:18 PM EST
    I would love a 13 inch iPad.  Having sat in front of a desktop for my whole life I absolutely hate doing it now.  I thought I would miss the keyboard. I don't.  Tablets for me.  Till some wet wear comes along I can plug into my head.

A television (none / 0) (#2)
    by toggle on Wed Aug 27, 2014 at 09:56:37 PM EST
    I recently switched to a 40" television as a computer monitor and it's probably the best upgrade in many years. No more squinting for me!

I run my desk top (none / 0) (#3)
    by CaptHowdy on Wed Aug 27, 2014 at 09:58:30 PM EST
    Through my 42" for net flix and such.

Wireless keyboard and mouse (none / 0) (#4)
    by CaptHowdy on Wed Aug 27, 2014 at 10:00:21 PM EST
    Live on the coffee table.  Or in it's hidden compartment

These newer screens (none / 0) (#5)
    by toggle on Wed Aug 27, 2014 at 10:00:27 PM EST
    If you pick the right one, newer HDTVs have the sharpness and quick response times to be an effective desktop for all purposes.

The only downside is that the screen is a little glossy which occasionally causes glare issues. But that's true of a lot of computer monitors too.

Lighting (none / 0) (#6)
    by CaptHowdy on Wed Aug 27, 2014 at 10:13:39 PM EST
    It's all about lighting.  Angles window coverings and stuff.  Because of my ex career I also hate sitting in dark rooms which I always had to do.   So I put a lot if thought into it so I don't have to.

Briefly, (none / 0) (#7)
    by lentinel on Thu Aug 28, 2014 at 03:04:45 AM EST
    what kind of input does one look for in a tv if one wants to use it as a computer monitor?
    What kind of output does one look for in a computer to go into a tv?

I have used only a desktop since forever, so forgive the lack of tech savvy.