Thursday Open Thread

Here's an open thread, all topics welcome.

< ISIS: Frogmarch, Killings and Beheadings of Soldiers

Going to be an interesting election (5.00 / 1) (#52)
    by CaptHowdy on Thu Aug 28, 2014 at 06:27:37 PM EST
    In two years that is

Rand Paul WSJ OpEd

Those wanting a U.S. war in Syria could not clearly show a U.S. national interest then, and they have been proven foolish now. A more realistic foreign policy would recognize that there are evil people and tyrannical regimes in this world, but also that America cannot police or solve every problem across the globe. Only after recognizing the practical limits of our foreign policy can we pursue policies that are in the best interest of the U.S.

The Islamic State represents a threat that should be taken seriously. But we should also recall how recent foreign-policy decisions have helped these extremists so that we don't make the same mistake of potentially aiding our enemies again.

DNC Response

"It's disappointing that Rand Paul, as a Senator and a potential presidential candidate, blames America for all the problems in the world, while offering reckless ideas that would only alienate us from the global community.

"Unfortunately, this is nothing new for Paul. Last week he criticized American policy to the president of another country on foreign soil. This week he's blaming the Obama Administration for another nation's civil war. That type of "blame America" rhetoric may win Paul accolades at a conference of isolationists but it does nothing to improve our standing in the world. In fact, Paul's proposals would make America less safe and less secure.

"Simply put, if Rand Paul had a foreign policy slogan, it would be - The Rand Paul Doctrine:  Blame America. Retreat from the World."

Greenwald

Look at how the DNC is attacking Rand Paul's foreign policy - *exactly how Jeanne Kirkpatrick attacked The Left

Wow, no wonder I'm in a horrible mood (5.00 / 1) (#62)
    by Militarytracy on Thu Aug 28, 2014 at 08:30:51 PM EST
    We have hit one of those inside out upside down cycles :). Something's in retrograde!!!

Seriously (5.00 / 1) (#63)
    by CaptHowdy on Thu Aug 28, 2014 at 08:51:52 PM EST
    If It's Paul Vs Hillary it could shuffle the board in some interesting ways.  I know many think republicans will never nominate him because views expressed in that OpEd.

Ask yourself this -

How much do you think they want to beat Hillary?

A dull moment won't be possible (5.00 / 2) (#64)
    by Militarytracy on Thu Aug 28, 2014 at 08:56:22 PM EST
    Now if I can just get my mind around it.

If the Repukes go that route, then as Joshua jests, "Jesus take the wheel :)"

It certainly could... (none / 0) (#134)
    by kdog on Fri Aug 29, 2014 at 12:37:10 PM EST
    I would predict the largest number of party members crossing party lines since Reagan Democrats.  You could have neo-cons and moderate Repubs voting Clinton, and anti-war anti-authoritarian Dems voting Paul.

It would be interesting, in a horse race sense, to watch.  But I just can't see Paul surviving the Republican primaries.

The Audacity of Taupe (5.00 / 2) (#65)
    by CaptHowdy on Thu Aug 28, 2014 at 09:10:34 PM EST
    -----I can't decide if this is funny or sad.  But I admit I chuckled

Obama vows to defeat whoever made him wear this suit.
    3:13 PM - 28 Aug 2014

Obama's tan suit is a signal. We just need to figure out what he's trying to tell us
    3:17 PM - 28 Aug 2014

This suit is the boldest thing Obama's done in months.
    3:10 PM - 28 Aug 2014

Over 1,000 tweets about Obama's suit, passes House lawsuit against White House for most "Obama suit" tweets in a day
    3:18 PM - 28 Aug 2014

`Yes, we tan'

"Taupe and change,"

"When your suit is the main attraction and everyone forgets you're even talking..."

----then there was the peanut gallery

"What kind of president wears taupe?" said Speaker John Boehner (R-OH). "He should be wearing a blue suit with a white shirt and a red tie... every time. This is America after all. Why does he make visible his hatred for the greatest nation on earth."

Senator John McCain (R-AZ) said, "It's an atrocity is what it is. Taupe? On our leader? It makes him look weak and feckless. As though he would just allow anyone to walk all over us. Putin would never wear Taupe."

"I would never wear a taupe suit there," said Senator Ted Cruz (R-TX). "I would never wear it anywhere. I would not wear it on that stage. I would not wear it at any age. I would never wear a suit so informal. His hatred for our nation isn't normal."

"I liked his suit," said Sarah Palin. "I liked it better on my daughters Ken doll from the 90s, but he pulled it off. Hahaha... gosh darnit."

It's funny. (none / 0) (#79)
    by ruffian on Fri Aug 29, 2014 at 09:22:29 AM EST
    Assuming it is the Onion? Even Boehner can't be that ridiculous.

I have to admit I noticed the suit in my brief glance at the presser photo in the morning paper. I liked it though - summery!

Not the onion (none / 0) (#81)
    by CaptHowdy on Fri Aug 29, 2014 at 09:35:06 AM EST
    He said it.  Hopefully he was joking.

All real quotes and tweets.  See, sad or funny?

I was ok with the suit but there is a reason I am not usually for fashion advise.

Tweet Not Obama's (none / 0) (#98)
    by squeaky on Fri Aug 29, 2014 at 10:58:34 AM EST
    "That suit is terrible," tweeted Slate writer Jamelle Bouie, in one of the more restrained negative responses.

OK, here's one more: "Obama vows to defeat whoever made him wear this suit," tweeted The New York Times's Josh Barro.

Tan suits aren't that bad. What's been lost in a lot of the Twitter uproar is that they used to be standard Washington summer wear for men. K Street at lunch hour used to be a sea of khaki, with an occasional greenish-tan variation.

CSM

Barro quote (none / 0) (#102)
    by CaptHowdy on Fri Aug 29, 2014 at 11:06:09 AM EST
    Second on the list.

As I said, funny or sad.

Nope (none / 0) (#104)
    by CaptHowdy on Fri Aug 29, 2014 at 11:06:55 AM EST
    First on the list

Usually Women Get This Treatment (none / 0) (#107)
    by squeaky on Fri Aug 29, 2014 at 11:13:16 AM EST
    Or the occasional White man (D) who R's are trying to peg as effeminate.

Black men in power too?

Interesting in the CSM photo, the White cameraman is wearing beige as well..

Wonder if he is getting laughed at too....

Perhaps (none / 0) (#109)
    by CaptHowdy on Fri Aug 29, 2014 at 11:16:25 AM EST
    We should lighten up?

Doubt O is losing any sleep about it.  Some of it (Palin) was mean spirited, surprise, I don't think most of it was.

Ooooo (none / 0) (#110)
    by CaptHowdy on Fri Aug 29, 2014 at 11:16:57 AM EST
    Lighten up!

Yeah (none / 0) (#121)
    by squeaky on Fri Aug 29, 2014 at 11:36:23 AM EST
    Unintended, I am sure..

In any case, I am also sure that this means zero to Obama, he could care less.

On the other hand I think it is fascinating. Certainly, I would never have taken pause, other than think that Obama looked good, because of the color of his suit.

And considering that Michelle is such a fashionista, I find the whole "taupe" business strange, and quite interesting.

Little Dadler is a month in H.S. (5.00 / 5) (#87)
    by Dadler on Fri Aug 29, 2014 at 09:51:27 AM EST
    He has to be there at 6:45 a.m. four days a week for concert band. How he is doing it, I have no clue. What a kid. (I mean, they wouldn't make the debate kids show up at that hour to practice their rhetoric, nor the drama kids to rehearse their play, so why musicians -- adolescent musicians who need their sleep more than anyone -- are made to show up at that hour, I am mystified and not very happy. But, like I said, he's getting it done and managing all A's academically so far. Knock on brass. First HS band performance is this weekend at the Millbrae Wine & Art Festival. Now if we can just get his old man back into the game of life. Oy...

Oh, for Cripe's sake! (5.00 / 4) (#88)
    by NYShooter on Fri Aug 29, 2014 at 10:04:07 AM EST
    What is it with some people that they just gotta brag on their kids?

Jeez!

Psst, btw, did I tell you that my son and his wife had the most gorgeous baby boy a couple of months ago? Kid's gonna be a genius, I tell you.
    And my daughter? Wow! She gave me the most gorgeous little girl the world's ever seen. Smart, beautiful, she stood in ALL the lines!

Now, where was I?

Not important I guess.

Isn't there a Mexican soup... (5.00 / 3) (#92)
    by Dadler on Fri Aug 29, 2014 at 10:29:27 AM EST
    ...made from cripe?

;-)

"Border Crisis" update... (4.83 / 6) (#1)
    by kdog on Thu Aug 28, 2014 at 03:08:55 PM EST
    2,200 immigrant minors have been relocated to Long Island so far, reunited with family.

No crisis, negligible impact on social services.   All is well, despite all that white whine.

White whine :) (5.00 / 1) (#60)
    by Militarytracy on Thu Aug 28, 2014 at 08:19:53 PM EST
    I love it! It's just not as good for your heart as other whines are :)

A neighboring town... (5.00 / 2) (#83)
    by kdog on Fri Aug 29, 2014 at 09:40:35 AM EST
    that just so happens to be a lighter shade of pale than my town was up in arms about a local church offering to house and feed some child refugees.  "Property values" before people...heartbreakingly embarrassing.

"We're not against helping people," said Michael Cantwell, of Commack. "Is it the right place, is the question, and most people in the neighborhood and this immediate area don't think so."

iow, they're not against other people helping other people, they just don't wanna help anybody.  Mighty white of ya Commack!

Yeah, in the conservative Bible (5.00 / 1) (#86)
    by Mordiggian 88 on Fri Aug 29, 2014 at 09:48:53 AM EST
    It says this:

But Jesus said, Suffer property owners, and forbid them not, to come unto me: for of such is the kingdom of heaven.

Hey, I have a mansion up there with many rooms :) (none / 0) (#127)
    by Militarytracy on Fri Aug 29, 2014 at 11:44:34 AM EST
    Oddly enough... (none / 0) (#131)
    by kdog on Fri Aug 29, 2014 at 12:29:26 PM EST
    it's not gold coast, not even close, we ain't talking Upper Brookville or The Hamptons here...I'd  consider Commack a middle class working people neighborhood...you'd expect the nimbyism from the Lifestyles of the Rich & Infamous set, I expected better from Commack.  It's like Arizona up in their town halls!

Wall St. can knock their property values in half and get their arses laid off, no worries...but god forbid a Guatemalan kid live in the church across the street for a spell!

Why oh why are we still falling for the tired kick the dog/divide and conquer scam?  If ya can't fool all the people all the time, you certainly can fool a majority of the people a majority of the time.

"On my fathers' plantation (none / 0) (#132)
    by Mordiggian 88 on Fri Aug 29, 2014 at 12:30:16 PM EST
    From closed thread (none / 0) (#2)
    by ragebot on Thu Aug 28, 2014 at 03:09:24 PM EST
     Probably no fingerprints on the gun.  But it will be interesting to see.  On the other hand the if Brown did grab the weapon there is a better chance he left some DNA.  There is also a claim that Brown was cut on his right hand and that is explained by his grabbing the weapon while it was being fired.

link

I am still looking for a source confirming there was a cut on Brown's hand.  Anyone have such a link, or a link that there was no cut on Brown's hand.

Not saying I completely trust the link, just that I have not seen reports that there was a cut on Brown's hand until this link and a few others from similar sources.

Too lazy to look for it, (5.00 / 1) (#4)
    by sarcastic unnamed one on Thu Aug 28, 2014 at 03:16:50 PM EST
    but iirc Baden said Brown's hands did not have injuries.

but iirc (5.00 / 1) (#24)
    by Uncle Chip on Thu Aug 28, 2014 at 04:57:32 PM EST
    but iirc Baden said Brown's hands did not have injuries.

except for the gun shot into the palm of his right hand.

Yes, except for that. (5.00 / 1) (#27)
    by sarcastic unnamed one on Thu Aug 28, 2014 at 05:09:46 PM EST
    Ah. Just maybe the gunshot wound (none / 0) (#31)
    by oculus on Thu Aug 28, 2014 at 05:18:07 PM EST
    to the hand obliterated the pre-existing abrasion.

Wouldn't it have to be a pretty big GS wound? (5.00 / 2) (#34)
    by nycstray on Thu Aug 28, 2014 at 05:30:19 PM EST
    I mean after all he was a HUGE guy, so he MUST have had HUGE hands!!!! Plus, remember, HE BROKE THE GUY'S EYE!!!! so it would seem he would have extensive damage to his knuckles, along with the cut he got while trying to STEAL the officer's weapon . . .  just sayin'  :P

Way too complicated. Meanwhile, the NYT reports (none / 0) (#40)
    by oculus on Thu Aug 28, 2014 at 05:54:08 PM EST
    family of a Caucasian victim of an officer-involved shooting is upset the incident is not getting as much attention as Michael Brown's is.

There you go, certainly possible. (none / 0) (#32)
    by sarcastic unnamed one on Thu Aug 28, 2014 at 05:24:32 PM EST
    ::head desk:: (none / 0) (#44)
    by sj on Thu Aug 28, 2014 at 06:03:15 PM EST
    Ah. Just maybe the gunshot wound  (none / 0) (#31)
    by oculus on Thu Aug 28, 2014 at 04:18:07 PM MDT

to the hand obliterated the pre-existing abrasion.

SUOO (none / 0) (#9)
    by ragebot on Thu Aug 28, 2014 at 04:06:29 PM EST
    I remember that as well but Baden was talking about what seemed to be Brown using his closed fist to strike Wilson from what I remember.

I have also never seen the report, only the drawing of where the gun shots hit.  Baden did say something about abrasions on Brown's face consistent with falling after the fatal shot.

Anyone know if the entire report is online anywhere.

afaik, the entire Baden report (none / 0) (#26)
    by sarcastic unnamed one on Thu Aug 28, 2014 at 05:09:27 PM EST
    was the diagram he showed to the press and whatever he and his assistant said about it.

He was hired by the Brown family to determine the cause of death and whether Brown suffered. afaik, Baden did exactly what he was asked to do, which essentially entailed a visual analysis of the body.

Megyn Kelly, Mark Furman = Oy. (5.00 / 3) (#16)
    by nycstray on Thu Aug 28, 2014 at 04:35:10 PM EST
    you need to find better linkage . . . and sources.

just sayin'.

How about linking to a copy of the actual autopsy (5.00 / 2) (#20)
    by MO Blue on Thu Aug 28, 2014 at 04:50:35 PM EST
    report that states Brown had a cut on his right hand.

Phuck this (5.00 / 1) (#61)
    by Militarytracy on Thu Aug 28, 2014 at 08:25:27 PM EST
    Another bullet dispatched kid dead for walking while black and I'm back to trying to find nonexistent black youth finger prints on guns again?  Just shoot me now!  Get it over with!  Stop dragging it out with the daily threat!

I am in a vile mood tonight!  Too much bull$hit.  I've gone Furgeson!

here's the thing (2.00 / 1) (#3)
    by CST on Thu Aug 28, 2014 at 03:15:43 PM EST
    about the whole "reached for the gun" issue.  If he did go for the gun - wouldn't that be a further indication to the police officer that he was unarmed?

After the overly confrontational (5.00 / 2) (#7)
    by Anne on Thu Aug 28, 2014 at 03:48:09 PM EST
    way in which this whole episode started, I don't understand why Brown's "reaching for" or "struggling for" or "attempting to get control of" the gun is assumed to be with the intent to harm the officer, and not with the intent to prevent the cop from shooting him.

Especially if Johnson is correct that Wilson was saying, "I'm gonna shoot you."  Given all the other bad decisions Wilson had made that served only to escalate the situation, I think Brown had every reason to be afraid, and no reason to think that the cop would not find a reason to use the weapon no matter what Brown did while his head was inside the vehicle.

There's a lot of talk about self-defense on the part of Wilson, but at what point does Brown fear for his own life at the hands of a cop who's clearly out of control, and have the right to protect himself?

No, it would just mean that he (2.00 / 2) (#23)
    by jimakaPPJ on Thu Aug 28, 2014 at 04:57:10 PM EST
    wanted to disarm Wilson.

See how our bias changes things??

yay... jimakappj is here...... (5.00 / 2) (#28)
    by magster on Thu Aug 28, 2014 at 05:11:30 PM EST
    Boo Hiss!! (5.00 / 1) (#36)
    by Angel on Thu Aug 28, 2014 at 05:38:20 PM EST
    It looks like (none / 0) (#72)
    by Palli on Thu Aug 28, 2014 at 10:26:45 PM EST
    Wilson carries his holster on the right.  In the photos as he stands around looking at Michael's body there is a brown shape on the right (holster, I think) and a black pack on the left'

If that is correct, it seems improbable that Michael could have reaching for his gun unless the gun was already out of the holster and in Wilson's raised hand.

We don't know where the gun was at 12:01 when he yelled at the kids. Normally wouldn't a gun be holstered while a cop was driving on a residential street?

If the gun was shot once from inside the car, when did Wilson first draw or hold the gun with the intent to threaten or shoot?

It looks like (none / 0) (#73)
    by Palli on Thu Aug 28, 2014 at 10:34:31 PM EST
    Wilson carries his holster on the right.  In the videos of him standing looking at Michael's body there is a brown shape on the right (holster, I think) and a black belt pack on the left.

Where the gun was at 12:01 when he yelled at the kids. Normally wouldn't a gun be holstered while a cop was cruising on a residential street?

I posted late in the closed thread .... (none / 0) (#5)
    by magster on Thu Aug 28, 2014 at 03:28:07 PM EST
    that the video texting site Glide.com confirmed time stamp of audio to be right at the time of shooting.

Glide Confirmation (5.00 / 1) (#15)
    by Uncle Chip on Thu Aug 28, 2014 at 04:33:40 PM EST
    Yep and let's put it up for all to see:

"In this case, the video in question was created at 12:02:14 PM CDT on Saturday, August 9th."

Wilson encountered the two jaywalkers at 12:01 and was standing over one of them with an emptied smoking gun at 12:03.

were not dubbed onto the tape at a different time?

I know, I know, I'm evil.

Ahhh . . . (5.00 / 1) (#35)
    by nycstray on Thu Aug 28, 2014 at 05:35:19 PM EST
    you must be looking for that second time stamp referring to when the file was 'modified', eh?   :P

he'll suss it all out in a jiffy.

What a hack. (5.00 / 1) (#41)
    by oculus on Thu Aug 28, 2014 at 05:55:05 PM EST
    Yup. I guess you do get what you pay for. (none / 0) (#58)
    by sarcastic unnamed one on Thu Aug 28, 2014 at 07:34:39 PM EST
    Yes. (none / 0) (#37)
    by magster on Thu Aug 28, 2014 at 05:38:46 PM EST
    Glide has also posted a note on its Web site. In a brief chat with the Erik Wemple Blog, Haas said, "The question we are being asked is is this authentic and the answer is absolutely." Notification to the FBI, said Haas, "is taking place."

What Glade could not confirm is what your definition of "threat" is.

So, I guess that's two of us! (3.50 / 2) (#39)
    by sarcastic unnamed one on Thu Aug 28, 2014 at 05:40:01 PM EST
    :-)

The retired medical examiner hired (none / 0) (#11)
    by oculus on Thu Aug 28, 2014 at 04:12:44 PM EST
    by the Brown family would have noted this on his diagram.

The retired medical examiner hired (none / 0) (#17)
    by Uncle Chip on Thu Aug 28, 2014 at 04:39:04 PM EST
    by the Brown family would have noted this on his diagram.

You're right.

People may be confusing the gunshot that he marked on the diagram as the result of a bullet into the palm of his hand for a cut from the gun.

Cut on hand??? (none / 0) (#13)
    by Uncle Chip on Thu Aug 28, 2014 at 04:26:45 PM EST

How would that jive with the ME reporting that there was no GSR on Brown's body -- arms, forearms, hands, wrist, nowhere -- meaning that the gun had to be atleast 2 feet away from him when fired.

If there was a cut on his hands shouldn't that be noted in his autopsy???

The body was at the mortuary and had been (none / 0) (#29)
    by sarcastic unnamed one on Thu Aug 28, 2014 at 05:12:21 PM EST
    embalmed by the time Baden saw it, are you sure the mortuary had not also cleaned the body?

Mortuaries (none / 0) (#45)
    by Uncle Chip on Thu Aug 28, 2014 at 06:06:13 PM EST
    Mortuaries don't clean bodies before scheduled autopsies.

Wuld any self-respecting medical examiner (5.00 / 1) (#66)
    by oculus on Thu Aug 28, 2014 at 09:12:56 PM EST
    deem his or her viewing of a previously-autopsied and then embalmed body an "autopsy"?

Depends (none / 0) (#67)
    by CaptHowdy on Thu Aug 28, 2014 at 09:14:37 PM EST
    How much money you got?

Turns out Baden was an (5.00 / 1) (#68)
    by oculus on Thu Aug 28, 2014 at 09:23:52 PM EST
    "work" as "a preliminary autopsy."

In that same presser Crump referred to it as "a very preliminary autopsy."

I've come to believe they both meant: "view the body, scratch some marks on a stick figure diagram, grab a snack, and meet the press."

Assuming what Baden performed was technically (none / 0) (#74)
    by oculus on Thu Aug 28, 2014 at 11:01:27 PM EST
    an autopsy, I suppose it was subsequent to the autopsy performed by the St. Louis Co. medical examiner but preliminary to the autopsy to be performed by the military pathologist under the auspices of the F.B.I.

autopsies?

I don't see why they would (none / 0) (#49)
    by nycstray on Thu Aug 28, 2014 at 06:12:58 PM EST
    you don't have to have a body embalmed . . .

County, Private, FBI (none / 0) (#50)
    by Uncle Chip on Thu Aug 28, 2014 at 06:20:06 PM EST
    Uh, what does that mean? (none / 0) (#56)
    by sarcastic unnamed one on Thu Aug 28, 2014 at 06:34:08 PM EST
    Referring to the three different (none / 0) (#59)
    by Peter G on Thu Aug 28, 2014 at 08:09:21 PM EST
    autopsies, I believe.

Well, I guess that's a start, anyway. (none / 0) (#70)
    by sarcastic unnamed one on Thu Aug 28, 2014 at 10:20:29 PM EST
    Question for sarcastic (none / 0) (#51)
    by Palli on Thu Aug 28, 2014 at 06:25:04 PM EST
    Is Wilson right or left handed?  Same question for Brown.

Another question (none / 0) (#53)
    by Palli on Thu Aug 28, 2014 at 06:29:17 PM EST
    I never heard: When Wilson left sometime between 12:47 and 1:30 how did he leave the scene? In what car? Alone?

specifics of the 10-20 seconds of the actual confrontation.

Dunno for sure. (none / 0) (#54)
    by sarcastic unnamed one on Thu Aug 28, 2014 at 06:31:36 PM EST
    iirc, Brown used his right hand to grab the store clerk's shirt and shove him. If so, probably righty? Can probably confirm from video.

Should also be able to confirm which side hip has Wilson's gun in holster in one of the pics/vids of him.

HRC and Citizens United (none / 0) (#6)
    by squeaky on Thu Aug 28, 2014 at 03:47:12 PM EST
    No executive order, but would support an amendment reversing the decision.

While eying a potential presidential run that would surely be boosted by deep-pocketed super PACs, Hillary Clinton said Monday evening that she's open to supporting a constitutional amendment to overturn the Supreme Court's Citizens United decision, which opened the door to the outside groups and the flood of money that poured into the political process with them.

Taking questions from Facebook users at the social media giant's California headquarters Monday evening, Clinton expressed some interest in the idea. "I would consider supporting an amendment among these lines that would prevent the abuse of our political system by excessive amounts of money if there is no other way to deal with the Citizen's United decision," she said in response to a question on the measure.

MSNBC

Question for you, Squeaks (5.00 / 1) (#8)
    by NYShooter on Thu Aug 28, 2014 at 04:01:20 PM EST
    Do you know if any Supreme Court Justice has ever been impeached? Starting with the Gore/Bush treasonous decision, followed by countless "crimes against humanity," and, up to the C.U. monstrosity, this Court has set itself apart from all others.

The Republicans have no problem threatening President Obama for the most childish, nonsensical crap, why not let the Supremes know that their ant-American decisions will be noted, if not for actual change, at least for posterity?

... who was appointed to the High Court by President George Washington in 1796, was impeached by the U.S. House in late 1804 on eight counts involving various cases over which he presided while serving as a federal circuit court judge. (U.S. Supreme Court justices used to pull double duty back in the day, and also served as trial judges until the latter part of the 19th century.) He was subsequently acquitted in the Senate on all charges in March 1805, and remains the only member of the U.S. Supreme Court to have ever been impeached.

Hey DfromH (5.00 / 1) (#22)
    by CaptHowdy on Thu Aug 28, 2014 at 04:54:52 PM EST
    LTNS

How are you?

Yo, thanks (5.00 / 1) (#43)
    by NYShooter on Thu Aug 28, 2014 at 05:58:33 PM EST
    and, you, MS, Zorba

Abe Fortas resigned (none / 0) (#89)
    by jimakaPPJ on Fri Aug 29, 2014 at 10:18:49 AM EST
    before he could be impeached.

Fortas remained on the bench, but in 1969, a new scandal arose. Fortas had accepted a $20,000 retainer from the family foundation of Wall Street financier Louis Wolfson, a friend and former client, in January 1966.[16] Fortas had signed a contract with Wolfson's foundation. In return for unspecified advice, it was to pay Fortas $20,000 a year for the rest of Fortas's life (and then pay his widow for the rest of her life). Wolfson was under investigation for securities violations at the time and it was alleged that he expected that his arrangement with Fortas would help him stave off criminal charges or help him secure a presidential pardon. He did ask Fortas to help him secure a pardon from LBJ, which Fortas claimed that he did not do. Fortas recused himself from Wolfson's case when it came before the Court and had earlier returned the retainer, but not until Wolfson had been indicted twice.[4]

link

Supreme Court (none / 0) (#18)
    by Zorba on Thu Aug 28, 2014 at 04:44:12 PM EST
    Associate Justice Samuel Chase was impeached, but was acquitted by the Senate in 1805.
    Link.
    I'm old enough to remember the whole "Impeach Earl Warren" push, too, but that never went anywhere in Congress.

"I would consider supporting,..." (5.00 / 3) (#12)
    by oculus on Thu Aug 28, 2014 at 04:15:22 PM EST
    Wiggle room there.

Plus, saying you support a constituional amendmen (5.00 / 5) (#14)
    by ruffian on Thu Aug 28, 2014 at 04:30:24 PM EST
    these days is pretty safe since it will assuredly never happen. You can get points for supporting it though.

Citizens United (none / 0) (#19)
    by CaptHowdy on Thu Aug 28, 2014 at 04:50:08 PM EST
    I could see as one that might actually get the votes for an amendment.
    But I don't disagree with you.

But, you may recall (none / 0) (#46)
    by NYShooter on Thu Aug 28, 2014 at 06:06:17 PM EST
    a while back, I fantasized about how The Left, and, the Tea Party might meet "in the middle" on some issues. Anti Wall Street and Anti-Corruption are two issues the T.P. feels very strongly about.

I hinted in my previous post that even if the attempt was unsuccessful, the publicity itself would have a positive effect, and, might just send a worrisome message to those pompous blowhards on the S.C. Right.

Hey, nothing ventured, nothing gained. What demographic group doesn't "get" that leaving our [s]elected officials up to the oligarchs is a bad, bad idea?

I do (none / 0) (#48)
    by CaptHowdy on Thu Aug 28, 2014 at 06:12:32 PM EST
    It would be interesting to see if there was unity.

The Tea Party needs a victory (none / 0) (#77)
    by NYShooter on Fri Aug 29, 2014 at 09:08:23 AM EST
    pretty badly.

They've been losing quite a few battles recently. Their candidates haven't been doing that great knocking off incumbents, or, more moderate opponents, like they were earlier.

Impeaching a Supreme (and, a Black, if they target Thomas) would get their Mojo cranked up, big time.

There is no such thing as the (none / 0) (#90)
    by jimakaPPJ on Fri Aug 29, 2014 at 10:20:35 AM EST
    Tea Party.

Have you attended a meeting of a national group??

You might want to tell these people (5.00 / 3) (#93)
    by MO Blue on Fri Aug 29, 2014 at 10:33:01 AM EST
    that they do not exist.

teaparty.org

teapartypatriots.org

Or maybe you should turn them into the DOJ for fraud since they are soliciting money to support an entity that you claim does not exist.

MO, MO, MO (5.00 / 3) (#129)
    by NYShooter on Fri Aug 29, 2014 at 11:51:23 AM EST
    Now, I'm not very smart, but, I was smart enough to not be sucked in, and, respond to....what's his name, above.

Like you're going to get an intelligent dialogue going.

I don't know, Lord; I try, I really do try.

The California Tea Party group (none / 0) (#100)
    by Mordiggian 88 on Fri Aug 29, 2014 at 10:59:07 AM EST
    blamed everyone and their dog for not supporting the train wreck that Sarah Palin became in 2008.

I've never been to a Tea Party meeting of any kind, but, like the Flat Earth people, I don't have to attend a meeting to know what they're about.

lol (none / 0) (#106)
    by jondee on Fri Aug 29, 2014 at 11:12:14 AM EST
    Reminds me of when Jimmy Hoffa used to say there's no such thing as the mafia..

If there's no Tea Party, what's that stench we've been smelling around here for the last few years?

And where's all that talk coming from about secret mooslims, secret Black Panthers, secret Marxists, and about how "they're comin' ta take all our guns away"?

Would someone show me a (none / 0) (#140)
    by jimakaPPJ on Fri Aug 29, 2014 at 01:00:24 PM EST
     National Tea Party??

There isn't one.

Oh there are various groups that claim to follow the
    Tea Party ideals. They often quarrel with each other. Some are more Libertarian than anything else. And some have morphed into, as in TN, the Constitution Party.

The Tea Party, as you folks use it, is a straw man.

for the love of god, make it stop (none / 0) (#143)
    by ruffian on Fri Aug 29, 2014 at 01:05:48 PM EST
    Hillary supporting (none / 0) (#10)
    by ragebot on Thu Aug 28, 2014 at 04:08:15 PM EST
    a constitutional amendment is a far cry from repealing Citizens United.  I really don't see enough agreement on any issue to amend the constitution.

Depending on what (none / 0) (#30)
    by Ga6thDem on Thu Aug 28, 2014 at 05:14:12 PM EST
    happens in the house there probably could be a law passed to pretty much neuter the stupid decsion. The GOP could then spend a lot of time and money taking that one to court to see what happens.

I have never in my lifetime seen a court that RESTRICTS the rights of citizens in this country. These Reagan Bush appointees are going to probably being the butt of jokes for years after they're gone.

For No Good Reason (none / 0) (#25)
    by CaptHowdy on Thu Aug 28, 2014 at 05:08:55 PM EST
    TRAILER

`For No Good Reason' is a visually stunning unique biographical study of Ralph Steadman, whose art rose to prominence during his collaborations with writer Hunter S Thompson. In the finest Gonzo tradition questions of witness and authenticity are constantly challenged, as the film smashes narrative conventions, moving seamlessly from interview to animation and soundscape.

Johnny Depp is a friend and thought‐provoking observer of Ralph's art who inspires insight as the film unfolds. Unseen intimate footage of Hunter S Thompson, much of it filmed by Ralph himself, reveals their deep life‐long friendship and true working relationship. Additional contributions include; Terry Gilliam, Richard E Grant, Tim Robbins, Bruce Robinson, Jann Wenner and Hal Wilner.

We observe Steadman over fifteen years as he creates a wealth of art. For the first time his work is animated, including the drawings from `Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas'. There is an animated prequel to the feature, Cherrywood Cannon, which is read by Richard E Grant.

Music from Slash, The All American Rejects, Jason Mraz, Lynval Golding, James Blake, Crystal Castles, Thom Crawford and Ed Hardcourt, each who have recorded tracks to their chosen visual chapter.

`For No Good Reason' is a cohesive, touching and at times funny film about honesty, friendship and the ambition that drives an artist.

Never has a truer record been made on the demise of the 20th Century counterculture and hipster dream - Ralph Steadman is the last of the Gonzo visionaries.

Hunter asked me to hand carry (none / 0) (#75)
    by fishcamp on Fri Aug 29, 2014 at 07:44:49 AM EST
    some of his writings over to Ralph in London when he found out I was going to Europe years ago.  Ralph met me at Heathrow and we went directly to his fabulous studio/home for lunch.  There were literally thousands of pieces of his art rather messily strewn everywhere.  I wanted to stay there longer but had to go to work in the Alps filming skiers.

Fishcamp, would you (5.00 / 2) (#96)
    by Zorba on Fri Aug 29, 2014 at 10:48:37 AM EST
    for pity's sake consider writing your memoir?  It would be fascinating to read.
    If you don't want to write an entire autobiography, at least think about starting a website and posting some of your stories online.
    Do that, and I'll send you a pan of baklava.  And some more Greek recipes.    ;-)

Thanks Zorba but I'm going fishing... (5.00 / 4) (#97)
    by fishcamp on Fri Aug 29, 2014 at 10:53:07 AM EST
    I know you are, (none / 0) (#99)
    by Zorba on Fri Aug 29, 2014 at 10:58:44 AM EST
    my friend.
    But maybe you could find a little time, now and then, when the fishing is bad, to collect some of your stories online so that they are not lost to posterity.   ;-)

Oh dear Zorba (5.00 / 2) (#113)
    by CoralGables on Fri Aug 29, 2014 at 11:18:34 AM EST
    A bad day fishing in the Keys is still a great day fishing as there are no bad days for bonefish or permit... unless the wind is howling...and then it's a great day for grouper sandwiches and beer. I suspect between the beer, fishing, and lobster tails there is little time for penning Tales from Fishcamp.

You are absolutely right CG (5.00 / 1) (#137)
    by fishcamp on Fri Aug 29, 2014 at 12:49:23 PM EST
    and I went out for about 10 minutes when the other terrible thing started happening...lightening.  And me out there with carbon graphite fishing rods and a 22' push pole lightening attractor.  So I don't know how you knew but I'm having a grouper sandwich and a beer right now at Lazy Days restaurant.  BTW lobster season just opened again but I just buy them from the commercial guy down the canal...no more diving for me.

You could do an audio book (none / 0) (#144)
    by MO Blue on Fri Aug 29, 2014 at 01:07:58 PM EST
    You would just need to record the stories that you tell your friends and adquaintances while you are eating and drinking at your favorite watering holes.

No such thing as bad fishing. Just sayin'. (5.00 / 1) (#119)
    by Angel on Fri Aug 29, 2014 at 11:28:11 AM EST
    Mr. Zorba (none / 0) (#138)
    by Zorba on Fri Aug 29, 2014 at 12:56:58 PM EST
    Would agree with you, no matter the location of the fishing.
    It's all good, according to him.
    Hey, it keeps him happy, who am I to complain?  And he does bring home some wonderful fresh-caught fish for us to eat.
    Even if he doesn't bring home any fish (whether because the fishing was not productive, or because it was "catch and release" season), he still returns relaxed, happy, and refreshed.
    No small thing.    ;-)

Exactly. (none / 0) (#139)
    by Angel on Fri Aug 29, 2014 at 12:58:56 PM EST
    I would so love to have (none / 0) (#76)
    by CaptHowdy on Fri Aug 29, 2014 at 09:03:12 AM EST
    Met either of those characters.  Steadman has been a god to me since the 70s.  I do have a signed copy of Steadmans Alice in Wonderland but sadly I did not get the signature.  If my house was burning it's one of the things I would grab.

Steadman is one of a kind (none / 0) (#115)
    by jondee on Fri Aug 29, 2014 at 11:21:08 AM EST
    there's no doubt about that.

There is also (none / 0) (#117)
    by CaptHowdy on Fri Aug 29, 2014 at 11:25:48 AM EST
    A pretty great doc about him Crumb

Seen it a few times (none / 0) (#120)
    by jondee on Fri Aug 29, 2014 at 11:33:11 AM EST
    what did you think of it?

Believe it or not, I grew up next door to a family of brothers a lot like that. But that's another long story.

I'm sorry you asked me that (none / 0) (#123)
    by CaptHowdy on Fri Aug 29, 2014 at 11:38:05 AM EST
    Because now I have to admit the only thing I remember is hearing that he has one of the worlds largest penes.

lol (none / 0) (#125)
    by jondee on Fri Aug 29, 2014 at 11:41:39 AM EST
    he has Marfan's Syndrome, which supposedly can do that in some instances.

The violinist Paganini had it to.

Some people (none / 0) (#126)
    by CaptHowdy on Fri Aug 29, 2014 at 11:43:03 AM EST
    Have all the luck

Well, it depends upon (5.00 / 2) (#135)
    by Zorba on Fri Aug 29, 2014 at 12:40:48 PM EST
    how the, shall I say, recipient of such "largesse" feels about it, too.
    Said recipients might not necessarily feel so lucky.   ;-)

Well (none / 0) (#128)
    by jondee on Fri Aug 29, 2014 at 11:44:58 AM EST
    it's like that violin: you still have to know how to play it.

That, too (5.00 / 1) (#136)
    by Zorba on Fri Aug 29, 2014 at 12:41:19 PM EST
    ;-)

I'd say Robert Crumb at his best (none / 0) (#112)
    by jondee on Fri Aug 29, 2014 at 11:18:01 AM EST
    keeps a kind of Gonzo flame still burning pretty brightly..

I'd say Robert Crumb at his best (none / 0) (#114)
    by jondee on Fri Aug 29, 2014 at 11:20:06 AM EST
    still keeps a kind of Gonzo flame burning pretty brightly..

Gregory Towns (none / 0) (#42)
    by CaptHowdy on Thu Aug 28, 2014 at 05:56:21 PM EST
    Here is a case that illustrates that while race is no doubt a factor on police violence, it is not the only factor.

Attorney: East Point police used Tasers as `cattle prod' on man who died

While the medical examiners haves said Towns' death was a homicide, Fulton County District Attorney Paul Howard is still waiting on evidence before decided if he will present the matter to a grand jury for possible criminal charges.

Both officers were also black.

Two former East Point police officers might have discharged their Tasers more than twice as many times as they reported in the death of a 24-year-old man in April, according to an attorney.

Odd they don't seem to have been showered with support, sympathy and money.

Poverty is a factor that cuts across (5.00 / 2) (#57)
    by Anne on Thu Aug 28, 2014 at 07:22:31 PM EST
    racial lines; not that race isn't a factor, just that it may be the one thing that victims of abuse of power have in common.

I always loved this place (none / 0) (#69)
    by CaptHowdy on Thu Aug 28, 2014 at 09:26:29 PM EST
    WOODLAWN CEMETERY'S 150TH ANNIVERSARY ON DISPLAY

An exhibition at Columbia's Wallach Gallery showcases the graveyard's art

With the GOP Governor in PA now onboard (none / 0) (#78)
    by CoralGables on Fri Aug 29, 2014 at 09:11:52 AM EST
    26 states plus Washington DC have already or are now set to expand Medicaid under the Affordable Care Act.

For comparison purposes only, the first year Martin Luther King Day was recognized as a federal holiday, 27 states and Washington DC observed the holiday.

Didn't catch the names, but, (5.00 / 1) (#80)
    by NYShooter on Fri Aug 29, 2014 at 09:24:09 AM EST
    I heard a couple more rejectionist Governors are softening up to the program.

I mean, c'mon now, get real. This is an issue that even the dumbest, low information voter, from Ruby Red States, gets that health care for their families is a good thing. And, the fact that the States are getting it practically free from the Feds makes it a no-brainer.

How long did those Governors think they could hold off the Health care envy their voters must feel watching their cousins in neighboring States getting it, and, not them?

The dam's gotta break pretty soon I would think.

Bil Kristol predicted what would happen (none / 0) (#82)
    by Mordiggian 88 on Fri Aug 29, 2014 at 09:37:51 AM EST
    over 20 years ago if a Democratic proposal to reform health care in passed the Congress and sgned into law, just substitute Obama for Clinton in the following passage:

But the long-term political effects of a successful Clinton health care bill will be even worse-much worse. It will relegitimize middle-class dependence for "security" on government spending and regulation. It will revive the reputation of the party that spends and regulates, the Democrats, as the generous protector of middle-class interests. And it will at the same time strike a punishing blow against Republican claims to defend the middle class by restraining government.

The big problem is that nobody wants to go to the status quo ante, where people could be turned down for insurance because of a preexisting condition, or it was expensive if you didn't get it through your work(and sometimes, even then it could be costly).

Also, people have begun to realize that the 'death panels' aren't going to be there to decide who gets to live and who dies.

Yup, it's just like (5.00 / 2) (#84)
    by NYShooter on Fri Aug 29, 2014 at 09:44:36 AM EST
    Social Security and Medicare.

Once you've got it, or your neighbor does, the idea of going without is unthinkable.

I just wonder if its too late for this Fall's Mid-Term?

Of course, the Republicans always have Benghaziiii!!

Benghazi (5.00 / 2) (#94)
    by Ga6thDem on Fri Aug 29, 2014 at 10:34:10 AM EST
    has to rank up there with Whitewater as one of the best fleece the rubes operations out there. The carnival barkers went into overdrive on that one. LOL.

The Egg (none / 0) (#85)
    by CaptHowdy on Fri Aug 29, 2014 at 09:47:12 AM EST
    should read the whole thing.   It's not long but a bit to long for a comment

"There was a... a truck and it was skidding..."
    "Yup," I said.
    "I... I died?"
    ----
    "Oh," you said. "So what happens now? Do I go to heaven or hell or something?"
    "Neither," I said. "You'll be reincarnated."
    "Ah," you said. "So the Hindus were right,"
    "All religions are right in their own way," I said. "Walk with me."
    ----
    "So what's the point of it all?"
    "Seriously?" I asked. "Seriously? You're asking me for the meaning of life? Isn't that a little stereotypical?"
    "Well it's a reasonable question," you persisted.
    I looked you in the eye. "The meaning of life, the reason I made this whole universe, is for you to mature."
    "You mean mankind? You want us to mature?"
    "No, just you. I made this whole universe for you. With each new life you grow and mature and become a larger and greater intellect."
    "Just me? What about everyone else?"
    "There is no one else," I said. "In this universe, there's just you and me."
    ----
    You fell silent.
    "Every time you victimized someone," I said, "you were victimizing yourself. Every act of kindness you've done, you've done to yourself. Every happy and sad moment ever experienced by any human was, or will be, experienced by you."
    You thought for a long time.
    "Why?" You asked me. "Why do all this?"
    "Because someday, you will become like me. Because that's what you are. You're one of my kind. You're my child."
    "Whoa," you said, incredulous. "You mean I'm a god?"
    "No. Not yet. You're a fetus. You're still growing. Once you've lived every human life throughout all time, you will have grown enough to be born."
    "So the whole universe," you said, "it's just..."
    "An egg." I answered. "Now it's time for you to move on to your next life."
    And I sent you on your way.

Aerial of Brown shooting scene (none / 0) (#91)
    by Uncle Chip on Fri Aug 29, 2014 at 10:26:52 AM EST
    Aerial View of Brown Shooting Scene

Note the yellow box at the bottom left: Bullet Hole Above Ground Floor Window

That's just to the left of the driveway where the Black Canseco video was taken.

That would likely have been the first shot fired -- at the window of the SUV when Brown first started running.

So, it would seem (none / 0) (#95)
    by Zorba on Fri Aug 29, 2014 at 10:41:36 AM EST
    that if the bullet's trajectory was a little lower, it could have gone through the window itself and possibly hit a person inside that room.
    As I said before, it's a miracle that nobody else was hit.

Expand your mission ;) (none / 0) (#101)
    by CaptHowdy on Fri Aug 29, 2014 at 11:03:42 AM EST
    As much as I appreciate your thoughts on this subject, I don't think you have said one thing I disagree with, being the busybody I am I would love it if you offered your opinion on other things.

Don't take this the wrong way.  It's just my nature.  Yours seems to be an interesting voice that would add to the broader conversation.

Be careful what you ask for -- (none / 0) (#103)
    by Uncle Chip on Fri Aug 29, 2014 at 11:06:49 AM EST
    Ha (none / 0) (#105)
    by CaptHowdy on Fri Aug 29, 2014 at 11:08:45 AM EST
    Bring it

Sooooo (5.00 / 1) (#108)
    by Uncle Chip on Fri Aug 29, 2014 at 11:13:49 AM EST
    Do you think they will ever find MH370????

Awsum (none / 0) (#111)
    by CaptHowdy on Fri Aug 29, 2014 at 11:17:47 AM EST
    Awsum (none / 0) (#116)
    by Uncle Chip on Fri Aug 29, 2014 at 11:22:03 AM EST
    Awsum

Is that what they serve after a helping of Dimsum???

Nope (none / 0) (#118)
    by CaptHowdy on Fri Aug 29, 2014 at 11:27:08 AM EST
    The southern all you can eat chinamanese buffet version of Dimsum

Mmmmmmmmmmmmmmm (5.00 / 1) (#122)
    by Uncle Chip on Fri Aug 29, 2014 at 11:36:44 AM EST
    What time is Dinner???

ISIS, ISIL,ISIS (none / 0) (#124)
    by Militarytracy on Fri Aug 29, 2014 at 11:40:42 AM EST
    It isn't enough to have the capability to destroy global civilization several times over :)

The Pentagon really had to get an Admiral in front of the cameras to reassure the people that when the President said he did not have a plan for ISIS in Syria that that didn't mean he's skeered of them, they can kick our arse with one hand behind their back, and a plan is not possible...not ever...ever

Josh says for no reason last night (none / 0) (#130)
    by Militarytracy on Fri Aug 29, 2014 at 12:10:51 PM EST
    That if anyone attempted time travel, the earth wouldn't be in the same place in its celestial course.

I'm kinda shocked, I had never thought about it.  I was always told if time travel were possible we would know, we would have visitors.  So I say that maybe the failures are out there floating around in space, but Josh corrects me.  They would have imploded...unless they burned up re-entering the atmosphere or were smashed unexpectedly impacting the earth.

Conversations at our house....whew :)

What kind of... (5.00 / 2) (#133)
    by kdog on Fri Aug 29, 2014 at 12:31:19 PM EST
    stoner conversations is your family having?  I hope Josh knows he's still too young to try it! ;)

Can you imagine what we'd talk about (5.00 / 1) (#141)
    by Militarytracy on Fri Aug 29, 2014 at 01:02:07 PM EST
    If we WERE stoned?

Might end world hunger... (none / 0) (#142)
    by kdog on Fri Aug 29, 2014 at 01:04:43 PM EST