Friday Open Thread

RIP Alan Colmes, who has died after a short illness. He really was a gentleman, who never needed to shout to get his views across. It was always a pleasure to appear on Hannity & Colmes back in the days when Fox at least wanted to appear to be fair and balanced.

I'll be back to blogging this weekend, in the meantime, here's a new open thread, all topics welcome.

< Trump Issues Two Immigration Implementation Orders

From (5.00 / 1) (#4)
    by FlJoe on Fri Feb 24, 2017 at 10:36:40 AM EST
    you can't make this sht up department.
    Staffers at CPAC quickly scrambled to confiscate Russian flags with the word "TRUMP" written on the front that were being waved by attendees during President Donald Trump's speech on Friday.

CPAC (none / 0) (#5)
    by Ga6thDem on Fri Feb 24, 2017 at 11:34:30 AM EST
    has been in nothing but damage control mode the entire time it seems.

Ga...you and I are missing out on a fine (none / 0) (#19)
    by Militarytracy on Fri Feb 24, 2017 at 02:41:41 PM EST
    Business opportunity.  We could set up shop outside Trump rallies selling those flags and T-shirts. Trump that B*tch doesn't mean anything offensive enough now for the Deplorables. We can give them a hand you know, and pay a few bills to boot.

A few thoughts (none / 0) (#1)
    by FlJoe on Fri Feb 24, 2017 at 09:24:12 AM EST
    on the Laurel and Hardy comedy hour at CPAC yesterday (my bold through out)
    First the appropriately named Schlapp gives the invocation,
    You know, I know you all know this, but the last time a president came to CPAC in his first year, it was Ronald Reagan.
    (APPLAUSE) Saint Ronald in 1981

Bannon makes a funny

I happen to believe, and I think many others do, he's probably the great public speaker in those large arenas since William Jennings Bryan.

Then lays out his true agenda,
    Just like they were dead wrong on the chaos of the campaign and just like they were dead wrong in the chaos of the transition, they are absolutely dead wrong about what's going on today
    The greatest Chaos ever!

Bannon seemed (none / 0) (#6)
    by KeysDan on Fri Feb 24, 2017 at 11:37:36 AM EST
    to misrepresent Jacques Derrida's "deconstruction" as a way of criticizing.  Bannon's "deconstruction of the administrative state," is to blow it all up so as to create bias, flaws and inconsistencies. Whereas, Derrida works to render justice through deconstruction that takes apart so as to expose bias, flaws and inconsistencies.  But, that  ersatz Laurel and Hardy act did take on a cringe-worthy, but revelatory, power play to be admired by even Euro philosophers.

I think (5.00 / 1) (#7)
    by FlJoe on Fri Feb 24, 2017 at 11:50:48 AM EST
    Priebus does a better Peewee Herman than Stan Laurel, but that's just my opinion.

Bannon seems (none / 0) (#11)
    by KeysDan on Fri Feb 24, 2017 at 12:25:44 PM EST
    to see a lot of Mussolini in Priebus, although I do not get the resemblance.  Interview, last Bannon response Bannon complimenting Priebus on his beautiful administrative skills:  " toughest job...to make it run every day, and make the trains... "

For my money... (none / 0) (#18)
    by desertswine on Fri Feb 24, 2017 at 01:57:32 PM EST
    these guys are Nazis.

You are right. For a guy with a bunch of (5.00 / 1) (#10)
    by Peter G on Fri Feb 24, 2017 at 12:24:34 PM EST
    fancy degrees, it is surprising that Bannon would so blatantly confuse "deconstruction" with "destruction," which is what he seemingly meant.

Some (5.00 / 1) (#15)
    by FlJoe on Fri Feb 24, 2017 at 01:10:03 PM EST
    (Updated) lyrics from Bannon's playlist:
    And you tell me over and over and over again my friend
    You don't believe were on the eve of deconstruction

and

But when you talk about deconstruction
    Don't you know that you can count me in

and one of my all time faves

And the riot squad they're restless, they need somewhere to go
    As Lady and I look out tonight, from Deconstruction Row

As has been said before around here (none / 0) (#16)
    by Peter G on Fri Feb 24, 2017 at 01:21:38 PM EST
    more than once, I wish I could give that comment a rating of 10!

and (none / 0) (#17)
    by FlJoe on Fri Feb 24, 2017 at 01:27:13 PM EST
    we shouldn't forget his favorite album,
    "Appetite for Deconstruction"

I agree Fox was better when Colmes (none / 0) (#2)
    by McBain on Fri Feb 24, 2017 at 09:55:31 AM EST
    was a regular

Colmes was a stooge (5.00 / 1) (#9)
    by Repack Rider on Fri Feb 24, 2017 at 12:08:41 PM EST
    ...In the classic vaudeville sense.

A "stooge" was a character who was abused for the entertainment of the crowd.  The "Three Stooges" got their start in vaudeville as the foils for comic beatings from a "straight man" named Ted Healy   They ditched the straight man and took the concept to film.

By providing an unresisting "liberal" who allowed himself to be verbally slapped around, FOX got to claim they represented a spectrum of political thought.

In my opinion, what they provided was more like a speculum.

Colmes was not a liberal. A liberal fights for morality and logic, and does not allow himself to be bullied by fools. IOW, Paul Krugman is a liberal, Colmes was a guy who played one on TV. Yuuuge difference.

My condolences to his family.

When I Used to Watch Fox (none / 0) (#14)
    by RickyJim on Fri Feb 24, 2017 at 12:59:57 PM EST
    I noticed that when O'Reilly, Hannity etc, would have a left wing guest to balance one of their viewpoints, the guest was often pretty goofy and not capable of making the best case.  I assumed this was intentional.

Judge will allow one additional accuser to (none / 0) (#3)
    by McBain on Fri Feb 24, 2017 at 10:32:42 AM EST
    testify against Bill Cosby in upcoming case.
    Prosecutors in suburban Philadelphia had asked the judge to let 13 other women testify, a list they developed after reviewing claims by nearly 50 of the accusers who have come forward in recent years. The defense objected to their testimony, saying the string of old "casting couch" claims are not unique to Cosby and therefore not part of "signature" behavior...

...The one witness who can testify says she was assaulted by Cosby in 1996 in Los Angeles.

Judge O'Neill is working hard, it seems (none / 0) (#12)
    by Peter G on Fri Feb 24, 2017 at 12:26:27 PM EST
    to me, to ensure a fair trial for Cosby, despite strong pressure from both the prosecution and the defense to sabotage that effort.

Trump: "The Era of Empty Talk is Over" (none / 0) (#8)
    by Mr Natural on Fri Feb 24, 2017 at 12:00:36 PM EST
    Wearing clothing costing more than many (none / 0) (#13)
    by Mr Natural on Fri Feb 24, 2017 at 12:38:20 PM EST
    can put down on a car, or pay for some cars, EdSec DeVos seems to refuse to be as hateful as her hateful bosses.

NPR: DeVos, Defiant At CPAC, Walks A Fine Line On Transgender Rights

Over roast duck, yellow curry, and papaya salad, I had a long discussion last night with someone many of whose downriver Detroit relatives voted for the orange man.

Many of them are denying it now.  EdSec DeVos is roundly distrusted or hated.  Her conservative, fundamentalist brother refuses to insult Trump over the phone, warning her that the NSA is listening.  This from a guy who runs a successful software business; he's not an idiot.  Cousins who trumpeted for Trump pre election are now denying having voted for him.  An uncle, 75 years old, brags that he didn't vote for Trump; he "protest voted" against both candidates.  He's mortified when she tells him, "you voted for Trump."

A cognitive dissonance meltdown is in the offing.