Shootings at Parliament in Ottowa

There were three shooting incidents today in Ottowa. One was inside Parliament, one at the War Memorial where a soldier was shot, and one near the Rideau Centre Mall. At least one shooter, the one at Parliament, is dead. Prime Minister Harper was inside Parliament at the time but rushed to a secure location.

Much of downtown Ottowa is on lockdown. All Canadian military bases and Ottowa police stations are now closed to the public. The U.S. Embassy is also closed. People are being urged to stay away from downtown as the shooting investigation is still active.

Here's a Reddit live thread. The City of Ottowa twitter feed is providing updates of closures. Ottowa police provide this address for anyone with photos or video of the Parliament shooting.

< Wednesday Open Thread

The soldier has died. (5.00 / 1) (#3)
    by jbindc on Wed Oct 22, 2014 at 12:42:17 PM EST

Just examples (1.50 / 4) (#2)
    by Abdul Abulbul Amir on Wed Oct 22, 2014 at 12:37:40 PM EST

of what the Obama administration would call "workplace violence."  Who knew they had crazy Tea Party types in Canada?

And just what (5.00 / 1) (#4)
    by Zorba on Wed Oct 22, 2014 at 01:02:15 PM EST
    the he!! do the shootings in Ottawa have to do with Obama?

I Don't Think... (5.00 / 1) (#8)
    by ScottW714 on Wed Oct 22, 2014 at 03:53:20 PM EST
    ...the unhinged do not like the FBI classifying workplace shootings as.... workplace shootings rather than terrorist attacks when the gunman is Muslim.  aka the Fort Hood Shooting.

Unknown to just about everyone, including me, the the FBI, according to AAA, asks Obama how to classify any given crime.

And they really don't like it when people point out the lunatics that go on killing sprees may have been devout republicans/teapartiers. aka the 2011 Tucson shooting.

But the leap in logic for this shooting is beyond me, but that is what lunatics do, find meaning where not exists and declare it a conspiracy.

What a horrible comparison (none / 0) (#10)
    by Slado on Wed Oct 22, 2014 at 03:58:51 PM EST
    The Tuscon Shooter was in no way a "right wing" extremist.

Not in the way that the Fort Hood shooter was clearly an Islamist.

IMHO the media goes out of its way to minimize the influence of Islam in these types of shooting because discussing it means we have to once again confront the reality that Islamic extremism is much worse then all other forms in terms of depth and scale.

Ummmm... (none / 0) (#13)
    by ScottW714 on Wed Oct 22, 2014 at 04:12:47 PM EST
    ...I was simply explaining the right wing nutery comment.

Talk to AAA, you two seem to have the same issues.

Obviously, I disagree with both trains of thought.  Not sure how you insist one persons political affiliations are irrelevant and in the same breathe insist that their religious affiliations are.

Neither matter with crazy people IMO.

Nothing... (none / 0) (#6)
    by lentinel on Wed Oct 22, 2014 at 02:12:28 PM EST
    but Obama came into my mind because, imo, by jumping into this mess with ISIS, he has put us all in danger.

That is, according to one report I heard, the rationale for the attack in Canada - which is participating in a relatively limited way in our "coalition".

Lentinel, can you (none / 0) (#7)
    by Zorba on Wed Oct 22, 2014 at 03:38:15 PM EST
    provide a link to that report you heard?
    I'm not saying that Obama has reacted in the way I would prefer with regard to ISIS/ISIL/IS, but Abdul's snippy response really had nothing whatsoever to do with Obama and ISIS.  It was an inappropriate, knee-jerk, right-wing "workplace violence" snipe.

We shall see (none / 0) (#9)
    by Slado on Wed Oct 22, 2014 at 03:54:43 PM EST
    I think what he is predicting is the government and media will downplay the connection to Islamic terrorism.

Look for the buzz words..."Lone Wolf"  "No "No clear connection to ISIS", "Self Radicalized" etc... etc...

What he is referring to is the high burden of proof many put on Islamic connections because the conversation about religion is a difficult one and the media would prefer to avoid it if it's not obvious that someone is directly connected to a terrorist group.

predicting? (none / 0) (#14)
    by jondee on Wed Oct 22, 2014 at 04:21:53 PM EST
    or possibly reflexively deflecting?

As in, deflecting away from the obvious fact that another violent lunatic wrecked havoc with easily-obtainable firearms?

Agree (none / 0) (#11)
    by lentinel on Wed Oct 22, 2014 at 04:03:52 PM EST
    about Abdul's comment.

I was more conversing with you.

I can't link to anything because I heard it on a tv report - they accompanied what they said with a scary ISIS-type looking menacing.

The attack in Ottawa was described in terms of terrorism - and frankly - the ISIS threats and calls for lone-wolf actions came to my mind.

My take on our involvement is along the lines that Obama finally caved into right-wing pressure to "do something" about a situation that was being increasingly hyped - as the Syria thing was - as the Ukraine thing was. So, after holding out, he went in the direction of the republicans - and in the process gave them credibility they did not deserve. (IMO)

And - in so doing - I believe he put us in unnecessary danger.
    (It is notable and noticeable to me that, considering the frenzied calls to action, "the single greatest threat this country has ever faced" and the like - leading to our involvement, detailed reporting on the war has disappeared from the front pages.)

So - my response to your post was more in the nature of a free association than any attempt to justify Abdul's remark - which I find incomprehensible - as in - I don't know what he's talking about.

On what basis do you attribute this shooting (5.00 / 1) (#5)
    by Peter G on Wed Oct 22, 2014 at 02:02:03 PM EST
    (or these shootings) to "crazy Tea Party types"?

Violent nuts with guns (none / 0) (#12)
    by jondee on Wed Oct 22, 2014 at 04:12:45 PM EST
    are more of a workplace hazard than violent nuts without guns.

(It's Ottawa.) (none / 0) (#1)
    by leap on Wed Oct 22, 2014 at 12:24:36 PM EST