Open Thread

I've got a lot to do today, and every time I look at the news, it seems I'm only interested in reading about Ghislaine (hoping her Denver lawyers Laura and Jeff kill it on cross-examination) and events in Central and South America.

Since I doubt many readers are as interested in these topics as I am, here's an open thread, all topics welcome.

If you do want my thoughts on these topics or other international criminal cases, let me know in comments. I'm pretty fascinated these days by Alex Saab, kidnapped or extradited from Camp Verde (depending on your point of view); the capture of Otoniel in Colombia (the Colombian President says Pablo Escobar was small potatoes by comparison); and the sentencing of Emma Coronel-Aispuro (El Chapo's wife) to 3 years.

What I'm not interested in: school and workplace shootings, missing white girls, the January 6 events at the capital, or anything having to do with Donald Trump. I barely remember him and I have no desire to be reminded.

< Open Thread

My interest is centered on Dobbs (5.00 / 1) (#13)
    by oculus on Thu Dec 02, 2021 at 12:43:59 PM EST
    v. Jackson Women's Health Organization.  Now that Petito/Laundrie are no longer in the news.

I'm curious (none / 0) (#17)
    by ladybug on Thu Dec 02, 2021 at 01:32:28 PM EST
    How do you connect these two cases?

I mean stories. (none / 0) (#18)
    by ladybug on Thu Dec 02, 2021 at 01:34:19 PM EST
    I have to watch my lack of legalese.

I don't. Got a bit carried away on (none / 0) (#19)
    by oculus on Thu Dec 02, 2021 at 02:27:53 PM EST
    the Gabby front.

Would be nice (none / 0) (#1)
    by CaptHowdy on Thu Dec 02, 2021 at 09:53:12 AM EST
    to have a memory that selective.  I guess.

Busy year (none / 0) (#2)
    by CaptHowdy on Thu Dec 02, 2021 at 09:55:22 AM EST
    Select Panel Will Hold `Multiple Weeks' of Hearings

December 2, 2021 at 10:25 am EST By Taegan Goddard 53 Comments

"The Jan. 6 select committee plans to hold `multiple weeks' of public hearings in 2022 to lay out how the violent attack on the Capitol took shape -- and how Donald Trump attempted to overturn the election, " Politico reports.

"It's the first indication of the committee's plans for 2022 and how it intends to reveal the findings of its intensive, closed-door probe. And it's a further signal that the panel intends to finalize its work by the spring, as Chair Bennie Thompson has previously said."

Captain, (5.00 / 1) (#3)
    by KeysDan on Thu Dec 02, 2021 at 10:36:14 AM EST
    when is your hip procedure?  Wishing you all the best.

Ah (none / 0) (#4)
    by CaptHowdy on Thu Dec 02, 2021 at 10:49:16 AM EST
    The plot thins.

It's not, I'm told, entirely clear it is my hip that is the problem.   You asked so I'll give the the shortest version I can.

There are reasons to think it is a back problem.  A nerve problem.  Not a hip problem.  I definitely have what's been described, twice in xrays, as a minor case of arthritis.  I've been saying, hey, what ever it is it's not minor.  There is a long history I won't go into about other problems with that leg.  Taken together with some new info, namely my right leg is now smaller than my left leg, we now think it's likely two problems.  At least.  The only good news from that is hip replacement might not be in my future at all.

The bad news is it would probably be some kind of back surgery.

An MRI (none / 0) (#5)
    by CaptHowdy on Thu Dec 02, 2021 at 10:51:57 AM EST
    of the hip is next.  Probably next week.  I'm really pushing them to try to get some answers before the hospitals start shutting down again for Omicron.

Is physical (none / 0) (#6)
    by KeysDan on Thu Dec 02, 2021 at 11:00:08 AM EST
    therapy helpful?   In my view, it is advisable to be conservative in the treatment of back issues. At least for starters.

Hard to say (none / 0) (#8)
    by CaptHowdy on Thu Dec 02, 2021 at 11:11:49 AM EST
    I have only had two sessions.  The doctor who only started thinking back problem yesterday said this kind of PT would not help a back problem.  I guess he wants to be sure it's not a hip problem and only an MRI will do that.

The PT people are just a floor below so they are supposedly all looking at the same info.

Warning: anecdote. Friend had severe back pain. (none / 0) (#14)
    by oculus on Thu Dec 02, 2021 at 12:46:12 PM EST
    Ortho:  scoliosis.  Go to PT. Eventually PT opine, I think it is your hip. PT was correct.

The PT person actually said it was my back (none / 0) (#15)
    by CaptHowdy on Thu Dec 02, 2021 at 01:17:35 PM EST
    last week.  My Dr has been away for a few days. Finally saw him yesterday.  Kay at PTsaid last week it's two different problems.  Not primarily arthritis in my hip.

The Ghislaine trial (none / 0) (#7)
    by ladybug on Thu Dec 02, 2021 at 11:00:53 AM EST
    From the little I've read so far the defense is  very strong. I think that the comparison of the   MSM coverage and the actual facts that may come out during cross-examination will be fascinating. The defendant may not have been underage, she does not remember a lot of what happened clearly, the defense challenges a lot of her statements with contradictory facts. I sure wish that Jeralyn would cover this trial.

In my haste and zeal (none / 0) (#9)
    by ladybug on Thu Dec 02, 2021 at 11:14:40 AM EST
    I again get the words wrong. I meant the witness for the prosecution! LOL I am not a lawyer.

The only thing interesting (5.00 / 1) (#10)
    by jondee on Thu Dec 02, 2021 at 11:32:45 AM EST
    at all about this case of entitled, self-indulgent rich people acting badly is whether or not Epstein was an intelligence asset and if so, for who and what his duties entailed.

The rest of it falls into the tawdry bread-and-circuses media show category  that we're already inundated with.

Intelligence asset (none / 0) (#16)
    by Ga6thDem on Thu Dec 02, 2021 at 01:19:56 PM EST
    I am curious about that too. Was Epstein using sex trafficking to create kompromat for Israel? I also have a feeling we may never get an answer to that one.

Kompromat for Israel (none / 0) (#20)
    by BGinCA on Thu Dec 02, 2021 at 04:38:34 PM EST
    What leads you to believe this?

This has been (none / 0) (#21)
    by CaptHowdy on Thu Dec 02, 2021 at 04:59:16 PM EST
    I should add (none / 0) (#22)
    by jondee on Fri Dec 03, 2021 at 08:20:38 AM EST
    that I might just keel over in shock if the espionage angle is publicly delved into at all, sans Ms Maxwell blurting something out that she can't take back, which probably won't happen.

A clear answer hasn't even been provided yet as to where Epstein's seeming unlimited funds came from. Besides the close-mouthed, unaccountable Les Wexner, what other clients did Epstein have?

Rand Paul (none / 0) (#11)
    by CaptHowdy on Thu Dec 02, 2021 at 11:48:54 AM EST
    That guy.  I've noticed an interesting thing on the social media of my right wing relatives and their friends.  Rand Paul.

There has been a quiet battle going on in the fever swamp for who can be even more crazy and dangerous than Trump for 2024.  Ted Cruz is a player.  Marco wants to be but no.  DeSantis, Tom Cotton, etc.

The winner is Rand Paul I think.  He is showing up more and more.  Riding the really crazy stuff.  The latest is evil Dr Fauchi.

Anyway, don't be surprised if Rand Paul is a threat in the Republican primary.  He could also be a threat nationally unlike some of the others.

Rand Paul.

I guess (none / 0) (#12)
    by ladybug on Thu Dec 02, 2021 at 11:49:55 AM EST
    Jeralyn knows her audience well. But I hope she takes it on as a topic nevertheless. This is a criminal case where someone's freedom is at stake.