Tuesday Night Open Thread

It's time for El Capo. How will he escape the guerrillas in Colombia?

This is an open thread, all topics welcome.

< President of Colombia: War on Drugs a Failure

Minimum wage (none / 0) (#1)
    by jbindc on Wed Apr 23, 2014 at 06:36:17 AM EST
    The comments are even sadder. (none / 0) (#2)
    by Anne on Wed Apr 23, 2014 at 08:36:53 AM EST
    Disturbing little nugget in the article was this one:

But this map does succinctly portray dramatic variation across the country in housing costs, and it suggests that proposals to modestly raise the minimum wage won't fully solve this problem.

I don't know that anyone believes it would "fully" solve the problem, but this is the kind of thing that opponents seize on when all other arguments fail: "it won't actually solve the problem, so why bother?"

Also doesn't make a lot of sense (none / 0) (#6)
    by CaptHowdy on Wed Apr 23, 2014 at 09:30:50 AM EST
     No single county in America has a one-bedroom housing wage below the federal minimum wage of $7.25 (several counties in Arkansas come in at $7.98).

??

Not sure what at means.  The state minumum wage is 6.25.  Not sure when if ever that can be paid.  Possibly for under age workers.  In any case my area seems to be I the 7 dollar color, for one thing there are no "decent one bedrooms".  Apartments are virtually non existent here.  The only ones that exist are subsidized and have very low income requirements.  Other than that rent is not cheap.  When I decided to come here for early retirement I first looked for a house to rent.   I was amazed how expensive it is. The house I bought, that I had to spend a couple thousand bucks to make liveable,  had renters in it paying 450 a month.  I just looked in the local paper and there is not a single thing for rent for less than 500 a month.

When Police State Marketing... (none / 0) (#3)
    by kdog on Wed Apr 23, 2014 at 08:38:31 AM EST
    goes wrong.  Hysterical. Very well played Tweeters!

Skydiver almost hit by Meteorite (none / 0) (#4)
    by Dadler on Wed Apr 23, 2014 at 09:15:05 AM EST
    oop, now i read... (none / 0) (#5)
    by Dadler on Wed Apr 23, 2014 at 09:18:17 AM EST
    ...maybe it was just a rock that was packed in his chute. Who knows.

Warren for president? (none / 0) (#7)
    by CaptHowdy on Wed Apr 23, 2014 at 09:34:34 AM EST
    hearing more and more talk about this.

I still think Clinton/Warren would be a winning ticket.

Just heard some talking head (female talking head) say that the dems would never have a two woman ticket. Why the hell not?

Clinton/Warren... (none / 0) (#8)
    by kdog on Wed Apr 23, 2014 at 09:42:15 AM EST
    a no go for me.

A Warren/? ticket might get me to pull a Brand D lever for the first time in 12 years...Warren is appealing enough a candidate for me to look past her poor choice in party association. I could even look past Clinton as her VP choice.

Warren/Sanders or Sanders/Warren...now that's a dream ticket!