Thursday Open Thread

Here's a new open thread, all topics welcome.

< Canadian Shooting Suspect Zehaf-Bibeau 's Background

From the last open thread, FWIW (5.00 / 1) (#1)
    by Reconstructionist on Thu Oct 23, 2014 at 01:16:31 PM EST
      The Pew study and punditfact report (it's not a study in any real sense of the word) were measuring two very different things

PEW did a survey to determine to what extent the various media personalities are trusted by the population.

Punditfact claims to be measuring to what extent the media personalities are truthful or untruthful.

Those are two very different things and I would tend to doubt that actual truthfulness is closely correlated with level of trust.

I'd also note that Even if two were equally trusted and also equally untruthful as validly measured, the good or bad that flows from that would not be equal. Someone with twice the audience and whose audience is more devoted and passionate would have a far greater impact than someone with equal truthful/trusted scores.

Anyone Else Wonder... (5.00 / 1) (#2)
    by ScottW714 on Thu Oct 23, 2014 at 01:38:07 PM EST
    ...if these threads that blow up into... large disputes, are sometimes created when the open threads fill up and people just want to post something.  Often, getting pulled into something they wouldn't if there was an open thread.

IMO the 200 limit, isn't enough as readership increases, or appears to have increased.

Someone once accused me of posting last minute just so no one could reply.  That never occurred to me, but I am aware that if I want to discuss something, that I won't post in a thread over say 170.  For the record, I have never posted in hopes no one could reply, that defeats the entire purpose of any blog.

I dunno (5.00 / 1) (#3)
    by CST on Thu Oct 23, 2014 at 01:41:31 PM EST
    it's not like the open threads don't blow up into large disputes as well.

I think these are just hot button issues that people feel strongly about.

And...... (5.00 / 1) (#5)
    by kdog on Thu Oct 23, 2014 at 01:48:27 PM EST
    some people simply enjoy a more combative & argumentative style of debate/conversation.

I am not one of those people...I'd never make it in an Italian family;)

Or a Greek one, (none / 0) (#6)
    by Zorba on Thu Oct 23, 2014 at 01:58:04 PM EST
    for that matter, kdog.    ;-)

Touche!... (none / 0) (#9)
    by kdog on Thu Oct 23, 2014 at 02:14:02 PM EST
    Can't relate, as Colin Sullivan said about the Irish..."I'm f*cking Irish, I'll deal with something being wrong for the rest of my life and not say a f*cking word!" ;)

something about the internet (none / 0) (#8)
    by CST on Thu Oct 23, 2014 at 02:03:45 PM EST
    brings out the troll in people I think.

I'm definitely more argumentative online then I am in person.  Sometimes something someone writes can rub you the wrong way, could even be for a completely unrelated personal reason, and it's much easier to take it out on some "stranger" on a blog than it is if you were having a conversation in real life.

Threads are limited to 200 comments (5.00 / 1) (#4)
    by sarcastic unnamed one on Thu Oct 23, 2014 at 01:44:06 PM EST
    because longer threads make the site run very s l o w l y . . .

Ain't that a kick... (none / 0) (#7)
    by kdog on Thu Oct 23, 2014 at 01:58:59 PM EST
    in the head!  Oops, wrong head...lemme try the fist.

Money comment..."If you see something, kick something".  Now that's gallows humor gold!

I think we need another round of NHL expansion, give the goons another avenue of employment besides cop and robber.  Never mind, they generally fight fair in the NHL, none of that 5 on 1 sh*t.