When Trump Didn't Know What Brexit Was

Hollywood Reporter:

"And Brexit? Your position?" I ask.

"Huh?"

"Brexit."

"Hmm."

"The Brits leaving the EU," I prompt, realizing that his lack of familiarity with one of the most pressing issues in Europe is for him no concern nor liability at all.

"Oh yeah, I think they should leave."

To my knowledge, this was Trump’s only statement on Brexit before the referendum. Now of course he sees himself as its inspiration and originator:

I guess he’s saying he said “they should leave” is his “correct call.” Interesting that.

< India Still Waiting on Shami Witness Evidence

He didn't even thank people for the congrats (5.00 / 2) (#12)
    by ruffian on Sun Jun 26, 2016 at 11:30:11 AM EST
    on his correct call. Slipping.

Interesting to see (none / 0) (#1)
    by CaptHowdy on Sun Jun 26, 2016 at 07:40:16 AM EST
    How it plays out as it becomes the disaster most people seem to think it will be.

It will proably become "I didn't even know what it was"

He (2.00 / 1) (#2)
    by FlJoe on Sun Jun 26, 2016 at 10:27:32 AM EST
    did not know what it was last week, he does not know what is today and he will never know what it is.

His bizarre(Nazi golf balls!) infomercial/press conference in Scotland even had the CNN stunned, when asked if he was consulting with his advisors about the ramifications of this he replied that "there is really nothing to talk about, it's great, I'm great, I'll make a few bucks and I'll beat Hillary, and let's get back to the real news of the day, the great Trump is opening the greatest golf course, greatness flows from my stubby fingers like manna from heaven". I paraphrase of course.

WTF, can't he even hire someone to whip up some coherent talking points with even a modicum of gravitas and maybe just a hint of humility?

My favorite part of that (5.00 / 2) (#4)
    by CaptHowdy on Sun Jun 26, 2016 at 10:41:49 AM EST
    Was when the guy walked up and said "I have the balls you requested sir"

Plus he knows the Germans want (none / 0) (#14)
    by oculus on Sun Jun 26, 2016 at 02:04:09 PM EST
    out of the EU because the Germans who have the €€ to come to his clubs tell him do.

And, Trump (none / 0) (#3)
    by KeysDan on Sun Jun 26, 2016 at 10:37:51 AM EST
    praised Scotland, while marketing his golf resort, for leaving the EU--Scotland overwhelming voted to remain.  But, they may yet get their country back.

But, it is good to remind ourselves, that Trump's ignorance of world events just endears him all the more to his supporters.  They know that government is not his field, nor, seemingly does he have much of an interest in it.

But, that is all to the good. Just as some of the supporters of leaving the EU claimed, in response to economists, we have had enough experts. And, elites.  Time, apparently, for Trump's favorite electoral cohort, the poorly educated, and other disgusting elements, to charge ahead.   TRUMP/trump 2016.

The line I commented on (none / 0) (#6)
    by CaptHowdy on Sun Jun 26, 2016 at 10:45:39 AM EST
    In a thread yesterday about if the "pound goes down more people come to Scotkand"

is in a new Hillary ad

In some new polls, (none / 0) (#9)
    by KeysDan on Sun Jun 26, 2016 at 10:59:17 AM EST
    Mrs. Clinton is ahead by double digits.
    (Note: for grammatical clarification of my above comment: ...poorly educated, and disgusting elements..)

One of those (5.00 / 1) (#11)
    by CaptHowdy on Sun Jun 26, 2016 at 11:07:47 AM EST
    the ABC poll

Has a lot of interesting stuff.

Almost 70% think he is not qualified to be president.

Maybe the most important Obama now has 56% approval.

But, Trump has (none / 0) (#15)
    by KeysDan on Sun Jun 26, 2016 at 03:00:48 PM EST
    James Dobson, head of "Focus on Family," the Colorado Springs group whose anti-gay activities are the cornerstone of its focus.

Dobson said Trump is a "baby Christian," perhaps taking a cue from Little Marco's characterization of Trump's hand size.   Dobson said that Evangelicals need to "cut him some slack."

The whole (none / 0) (#18)
    by Ga6thDem on Sun Jun 26, 2016 at 07:56:36 PM EST
    evangelical movement has been exposed as a hollowed out nothing, morally bereft except for espousing hatred it seems. Good riddance. They've been nothing but bad news for Christianity for far too long.

I (none / 0) (#21)
    by Repack Rider on Mon Jun 27, 2016 at 02:01:03 AM EST
    ...would rather be right than bereft.

Methodolgy (none / 0) (#22)
    by Redbrow on Mon Jun 27, 2016 at 02:07:42 AM EST
    50% more democrat responders than republican makes that ABC poll useles for anything other than propaganda.

What did I miss? (none / 0) (#19)
    by Redbrow on Sun Jun 26, 2016 at 11:49:03 PM EST
    Over a million Scots voted to leave.

Brexit passed by a million votes.

Trump prasied and congratulated them for their victory.

What did you miss? (none / 0) (#23)
    by Donald from Hawaii on Mon Jun 27, 2016 at 03:15:05 AM EST
    The ball, for starters.

This is so silly (none / 0) (#5)
    by NycNate on Sun Jun 26, 2016 at 10:45:37 AM EST
    buts let's say he didn't know about Brexit, guy has some luck to guess the right answer while the people that knew and opined on Brexit got it wrong.

To me, it just shows the tone deafness of Obama/Hillary. Here is a quote from Obama about immigrants. It is nearly the same statement that got Kelly Osbourne in hot water:

"We're going to have to make a decision about whether we are a people who tolerate the hypocrisy of a system where the workers who pick our fruit or make our beds never have the chance to get right with the law..."

Make out beds and pick our fruit is What he thinks/sees when it comes to immigrants.

There is a difference between being wrong on the (5.00 / 1) (#13)
    by ruffian on Sun Jun 26, 2016 at 11:36:18 AM EST
    question of whether leaving was a good idea and being wrong on predicting the outcome of the vote. Not sure which part of 'opining on Brexit' you are referring to.

Obama's quote seems to be specific to a large number of the undocumented immigrants to the US.  I seriously doubt he thinks those encompass all immigrants the US.

Obama and Hispanics. (none / 0) (#17)
    by NycNate on Sun Jun 26, 2016 at 04:53:36 PM EST

When I think of Hispanic workers, construction and restaurant workers come to mind. Obama thinks hotel and farm workers. There is no right or wrong answer. I was just pointing out the hypocrisy that Kelly Osbourne said the same and faces no scrutiny.

Are you serious? (5.00 / 1) (#16)
    by Donald from Hawaii on Sun Jun 26, 2016 at 03:45:06 PM EST
    "No 'Big Brother' is required to deprive people of their autonomy, maturity and history. ... People will come to love their oppression, to adore the technologies that undo their capacities to think."
    - Aldous Huxley (1894-1963), author and philosopher

(Sigh!) I guess when you look at life through a lens that's akin to the bottom of a Coke bottle, nearly everything can be reduced to merely a matter of personal optics.

To deign to compare President Obama's longstanding and detailed position on the subject of immigration reform with an honestly derived dingbat comment about the same from Ozzy Osbourne's daughter, as you've done here, is absolutely absurd.

Only the most hopelessly superficial amongst us would set any great store by that professional celebrity's dimwitted take on immigration, or on anything else other than her favorite color of nail polish. Because last I heard, Kelly Osbourne is not shaping public policy in the West Wing or on Capitol Hill, or otherwise roaming the corridors of power at L.A. City Hall or the State Capitol in Sacramento.

(Why anything the perpetually self-absorbed Ms. Osbourne says should even be considered remotely newsworthy by the media or anyone else, is another matter entirely that's worthy of its own separate discussion. Suffice to say in that regard, Aldous Huxley was right.)

Look, reporters weren't querying Donald Trump for his opinion on the just-concluded Stanley Cup Finals. This wasn't a "Gotcha!" question. The then-pending Brexit referendum was only THE major policy issue involving our country's closest and most intimate major ally.

And for a GOP presidential nominee like Trump to have never even heard of Brexit until that moment, well, the active level of obtuseness and ignorance on public display here is rather shocking, even for him. Once again, he's called into question his actual fitness for the office he's seeking. Anybody who'd support his candidacy has to have a truckload of rocks inside the skulls.

Aloha.

I'm glad you think so (none / 0) (#7)
    by CaptHowdy on Sun Jun 26, 2016 at 10:46:31 AM EST
    From the Guardian (none / 0) (#8)
    by NycNate on Sun Jun 26, 2016 at 10:50:47 AM EST

He is one of the few international figures to come out in support of the United Kingdom leaving the European Union. In a May interview with Fox News, Trump explicitly linked continued British membership to concerns about "migration". He said: "I think the migration has been a horrible thing for Europe. A lot of that was pushed by the EU." Trump added: "I would say that they're better off without it, personally, but I'm not making that as a recommendation. Just my feeling."

read here

Katrina (5.00 / 1) (#10)
    by FlJoe on Sun Jun 26, 2016 at 11:02:54 AM EST
    Pierson is creature straight out of Lewis Carrol, Jeffery Lord on the other hand is more Monty Python.

Sorry to spoil your propagand with facts (none / 0) (#20)
    by Redbrow on Sun Jun 26, 2016 at 11:54:20 PM EST
    But Trump commented on Brexit at least as early as March 2016.

"I think maybe it's time, especially in light of what's happened, with the craziness that's going on with the migration, with people pouring in all over the place.

"I think that Britain will end up separating from the EU, that's my opinion. I'm not endorsing it one way or the other but that's my opinion. I think a lot of people want to see that happen."

You might want do a minimum of research before going off half-cocked next time.