Saturday Night Open Thread

Thank you, Comcast! All of a sudden my cable box started showing English captions on Telemundo shows. No more plugging the antenna in every night. And the captions are really good, not like You Tube. I didn't change any settings, all of a sudden a new option appeared besides "on" and "off" where you can choose a secondary language. Maybe it was there all the time, but whatever, I'm so glad. If your box does the same, check out the first week of Senor de los Cielos 3 -- you can watch free on On Demand. It really surpassed my expectations, and they were pretty high. [More...]

Monday night, Unimas will begin re-airing El Cartel -- it is the first really famous Narcodrama, written in prison by Andre Lopez Lopez, and has gotten the best reviews of any of them. Here's his story. Now that I can watch with English captions, I'll finally get to see it.

This is an open thread, all topics welcome.

< Bali 9 Duo Get 72 Hour Execution Notice

From our "A Fistful of Stupid" file: (5.00 / 1) (#4)
    by Donald from Hawaii on Sun Apr 26, 2015 at 04:01:03 AM EST
    During a recent interview with President George W. Bush's former press secretary Dana Perino, who now co-stars on a Fox News show with Eric Bolling, Daily Show host Jon Stewart pointedly derided her co-host as a "dumb guy."

While Perino took halfhearted issue with that description of Bolling, Stewart stood his ground, and for good reason, in my honest opinion. Take a quick listen to the breathtakingly open bigotry that was on display Friday evening when "the dumb guy," subbing for Bill O'Reilly, got together with The Lord's Own Nitwit, the Rev. Franklin Graham:

Rev. Graham: "[A]s a Christian, I want to emulate Christ, I want to follow Christ, and I want to do good to all men. Islam, the God of Islam wants you to die for him, but the God that I worship, he died for me. [...] But Islam -- the Muslims want to emulate their prophet Mohammed. Mohammed raped, he murdered, he killed and so we're seeing the followers of Islam emulate the prophet Mohammed, and we've got to take a stand, we've got to know what we're dealing with. But it's not just the Muslims in the Middle East. We have to be careful of the Muslims in this country. We need to stop the immigration, we need immigration reform, but to stop the Muslims coming to this country from countries that have active terrorist cells."

Oy, oy and oy again, because only one oy clearly isn't enough. To paraphrase the late author / entrepreneur Elbert Hubbard, while genius may have its limitations, these two dipschitts are not thus handicapped.

Aloha.

Congratulations (5.00 / 1) (#9)
    by CaptHowdy on Sun Apr 26, 2015 at 07:15:04 AM EST
    on your new best friend D.  Bet you never thought you might miss jim.

Another (none / 0) (#11)
    by FlJoe on Sun Apr 26, 2015 at 07:23:23 AM EST
    graduate of the Sarah Palin Skool of Rhetoric and Varmit Huntin'.

LOL! John Birch lives, Cap'n! (none / 0) (#13)
    by Donald from Hawaii on Sun Apr 26, 2015 at 07:48:44 AM EST
    Though I must say that Jim sounds like grand marshal material for the next San Francisco Pride Parade, compared to this nut.

no howdy (none / 0) (#15)
    by jimakaPPJ on Sun Apr 26, 2015 at 08:35:32 AM EST
    i am not donald's friend.

i am a political opponent of donald.

you know, that thingee called freedom comes into play...

and too bad you don't seem able to debate...just insult.

And he keeps his perfect record! (none / 0) (#16)
    by CaptHowdy on Sun Apr 26, 2015 at 08:37:43 AM EST
    with yet another point missed!

Just like when you said I was innumerate (none / 0) (#17)
    by Mordiggian 88 on Sun Apr 26, 2015 at 08:43:38 AM EST
    Jim?

Did you ever take a math class??? (2.00 / 1) (#106)
    by jimakaPPJ on Fri Apr 24, 2015 at 08:47:22 AM EST

If you can dish it out, be ready to take it as well. Otherwise, quit being an insulting pr*ck if you don't like the way people treat you around here.

Mordiggian (none / 0) (#31)
    by jimakaPPJ on Sun Apr 26, 2015 at 11:45:40 AM EST
    You and Howdy, among others, seem incapable of grasping what I keep telling you.

I don't care what you think/write about me. I am who I am and I am perfectly comfortable in my skin.

But I reserve the right to respond to snarks in a like manner.

As for math, when you understand that a starting figure of 10 trillion subtracted from a current figure of 17 trillion shows a 7 trillion increase let me know.

It's (none / 0) (#21)
    by FlJoe on Sun Apr 26, 2015 at 09:14:18 AM EST
    impossible to actually debate someone who refuses to take a consistent, coherent positions and refuses to stipulate to any verifiable, widely accepted scientific or historical facts that do not fit his world view. This
    thingee called freedom
    is a perfect example of you dropping a strawman nonsequitur argument into virtually ever post you write. You then pat yourself on the back and call the rest of us dumb.

Insults? You are lucky Jeralyn runs a tight ship or you would be suffering more then this small arms fire that already is pushing your victimhood buttons.

Really?? (none / 0) (#36)
    by jimakaPPJ on Sun Apr 26, 2015 at 12:05:46 PM EST
    Well, since you seem incapable of grasping the point....

I have the freedom to be a political opponent of Donald.

But if you want to call a statement of personal freedom to oppose someone's politics a "strawman nonsequitur" please be my guest. You did mean, "straw man non sequitur" didn't you??

Now don't be offended. My pointing out grammar and/or spelling errors, while enjoyable in your case, is a definite case of the pot calling the kettle black.

And your excuse that you can't debate is accepted.

I mean you prove it time and time again.

Really? (1.33 / 3) (#7)
    by stonecutter on Sun Apr 26, 2015 at 06:33:51 AM EST

Still no admission of enthusiasm for Gulags, purges, 9mm responses to objections.  So you are a big fan of the "Serial Liar" and voted for him, twice?  Come on, Gulags, purges, Stalinism, you can at least admit to bulldozing (Rachel Corrie?), since you proposed it.  Are you a Government teat sucker or Soros employee?  Come on, Donald, no one can be so deliberately misleading, delusional, ignorant or express misleadingly assertiveness without progtard financial incentives.

And somewhere in Kentucky, ... (none / 0) (#14)
    by Donald from Hawaii on Sun Apr 26, 2015 at 08:08:29 AM EST
    ... employees at the Old Crow Distillery are discovering that their inventory is short a few barrels.

A break from the trolls - baby Clydedales (5.00 / 1) (#20)
    by MO Blue on Sun Apr 26, 2015 at 09:03:29 AM EST
    Learn how a Clydesdale foal enters the world - KSDK.com

Warm Springs Ranch, Boonville, MO, is a great place to visit. If anyone is in the vicinity, it makes for a great outing. Reservations are needed.

Sen Sanders on media blackout of TPP (5.00 / 1) (#35)
    by CityLife on Sun Apr 26, 2015 at 12:04:18 PM EST
    See video: Corporate Media FAILS us (again) on TPP coverage "I find it incomprehensible ..."

Obama/Hillary Serial Liars (1.00 / 3) (#5)
    by stonecutter on Sun Apr 26, 2015 at 05:47:56 AM EST
    Wow, another teleprompter performance from Hussein Obama.  You should have voted for Jill,  She did not lie, she is accurate regarding the present conditions, and she doesn't owe Soros.

Baltimore!! (1.00 / 2) (#6)
    by NycNate on Sun Apr 26, 2015 at 05:48:48 AM EST
    Domestically, no other topic should take precedent over this. Rioting. Looting. Very tense racial fighting.

The mayor and police chief need to go. They allowed these people to destroy property, block traffic, take down US flag.

Your poorly discussed prejudice (5.00 / 1) (#8)
    by Palli on Sun Apr 26, 2015 at 07:03:36 AM EST
    avoid the obvious: the unrest, as you call it, in Baltimore, Ferguson and else where, is fermented precisely because the majority is not accepting the need to change or embracing the processes that will bring real change.

The Constitution was written many, many years ago- wouldn't it be a good Idea  to fulfill it?

Speaking of rioting and looting, will you observing the 94th anniversary of the heinous white riot that destroyed the thriving community of Greenwood in Oklahoma come June?

NycNate: "If Ferguson/Baltimore represent the new America, then I have some things to really think about. This type of unrest in a minority run city is disconcerting. I'm in the next major minority run city. If this is the best Rawlings-Blake and a black police chief could do, then it doesn't lend much confidence for the next major city run by a minority."

... Newsmax, Fox News and AM talk radio. Honestly, if that's where you like to hang out and get your information, such as it is, that's entirely your business. Personally, I prefer my news sober, rather than hyperbolic.

But while I obviously can't speak for any of the others here, I would ask that you please not emulate those aforementioned sources by engaging in noxious race-baiting, as you just did above. Otherwise, this particular white guy might figure you for yet another bigoted, ignorant white-wing troll who doesn't know his own arse from his elbow, and I'll start treating you accordingly.

This is 2015, not 1915. The day of white male privilege is now in its twilight and as far as I'm concerned, once its sun has set, good riddance. In my opinion, I believe that social diversity is healthy and that minority participation in civic affairs -- which includes their candidacies for public office -- is both good and necessary. Further, and regardless of whether or not you approve, they're here to stay.

So, I'd suggest that you start living in the present, deal with it like a rational adult and above all, grow a pair emotionally. Don't let your irrational fears about race fill your heart with dust. Life's really too short for such nonsense. And the next time you traffic in that sort of foolishness here, it's very likely that I won't be nearly so polite about it.

Aloha.

Re FNC and Baltimore (none / 0) (#18)
    by jimakaPPJ on Sun Apr 26, 2015 at 08:52:28 AM EST
    As I was reading your comment FNC had two people on discussing civil unrest.

One noted that the police needed time to act. The other argued that it was the appearance of a cover up that was the problem and that what was needed was fast action and investigation by an outside agency.

I mean, Fair and Balanced, eh?

I have to wonder if you, and the guy on TV, believe that the appearance of a cover up also applies in the Bill and Hillary deal??

People should not be allowed to loot and... (none / 0) (#19)
    by NycNate on Sun Apr 26, 2015 at 09:03:03 AM EST
    cause disorder. My friends were at the Orioles game. Can you imagine a city descending into lawlessness in the course of a baseball game?  My friends had nothing to do with any of this. And to be held hostage in a stadium and then threatened be on the very threatening racial taunts is ridiculous.

If the mayor can't keep it safe and/or the residents don't want nonresident whites coming to their city, that's fine. They should be honest and let people know beforehand. The people at that stadium deserved better than what took place last night.

Your friends were not held hostage; (none / 0) (#27)
    by Anne on Sun Apr 26, 2015 at 11:12:15 AM EST
    they were asked to remain in the stadium out of an abundance of caution.  The message to remain came before the game was over, and before it went into extra innings.  It is my understanding that by the time the game was actually over, people were allowed to leave.

I can't even imagine how outraged you would have been had precautions not been taken, but people like you seem to be able to find outrage and make accusations no matter what happens.

The mayor and the police did keep it safe for thousands of people. Looting was minor, as was property damage: I've seen worse when college kids riot after a big game - not that any of it's right, but you're making this out to be like the city was burning last night - and that's not the case.  Not even close.

You have no idea what you are (5.00 / 1) (#22)
    by Anne on Sun Apr 26, 2015 at 09:39:34 AM EST
    talking about.

This began and was conducted as a peaceful protest that city police and the mayor and other officials made clear they fully supported the right of the people to hold, that was marred at the end by a very small group of people.

Both the mayor and the police commissioner have been open, have been working with the family of Freddie Gray and those representing the family, have been conducting an investigation, have immediately and openly admitted the breaches of protocol and continue to work to get all the information.  The police commissioner has indicated that they have learned additional information that cannot be made public because it could jeopardize the prosecution of those responsible for what happened to Freddie.

You have heard nothing negative or accusatory from Gray's family with respect to the work the mayor and police commissioner have been doing to get to the bottom of what happened to Freddie; did you not see Freddie's twin sister at the microphone with the mayor?

I am not an apologist for the police, for the mayor or those involved in Gray's arrest.  What I am is someone who lives here, who is privy to local news, local reporting, who is familiar with the areas involved.  What I am is someone who knows nothing bad happened all day as this protest was going on, who knows that thousands of people traveled into the city for a baseball game.

This was not major, full-scale rioting and unrest; it was never out of control.

Again, you don't know what you are talking about, what the mayor and police commissioner have and are doing, so you really should just STFU.

I really can't get over the idiocy and ignorance of your comment.

You say that you may (5.00 / 2) (#24)
    by christinep on Sun Apr 26, 2015 at 10:38:28 AM EST
    "have some things to really think about."  Somehow, I get the clear impression from your comments that your reference to "these people" is a marker for a kind of "ism" that has no place in our land.  IMO, your remarks barely mask something more than your or anyone else's right to differ. If that is the case--as trumpeted by the color code of the comment's last sentence--then I would say (as we would say in my family when someone stomps feet and says he/she is taking the marbles and going home): "Don't let the door hit your rear-end on the way out." (Enjoy your new land.)

The President (none / 0) (#1)
    by CaptHowdy on Sat Apr 25, 2015 at 10:07:17 PM EST
    was very funny.

Obama made some political points (none / 0) (#2)
    by MKS on Sat Apr 25, 2015 at 10:13:41 PM EST
    too.....I liked the references to climate change.

I am a fan of Cecily Strong....I had no problem with her biting humor....

The only police force in the country (none / 0) (#3)
    by CaptHowdy on Sat Apr 25, 2015 at 10:18:47 PM EST
    that will get in trouble if a black man gets shot.

The bucket list was brilliant.

Haitian Money Pit (none / 0) (#12)
    by CaptHowdy on Sun Apr 26, 2015 at 07:41:42 AM EST
    this recent, and currently airing, episode of VICE will make you want to throw things at the TV.

Lanny Davis (none / 0) (#23)
    by Uncle Chip on Sun Apr 26, 2015 at 10:19:44 AM EST
    drew the short straw this morning:

Not Just `Smoke and Mirrors'

"A skeptical Chris Wallace quizzed him on numerous points, including a $2.3 million donation to the Clinton Foundation by a Russian company that then was cleared by Hillary Clinton's State Department to purchase a Canadian uranium firm, giving it a giant stake in the world's uranium market -- a donation that was not reported."

Lanny did not do well defending the Clintons in this matter -- but then again he doesn't have much to work with

Wallace (none / 0) (#26)
    by Ga6thDem on Sun Apr 26, 2015 at 10:55:54 AM EST
    apparently did not do his homework if he was asking about the Uranium unless Wallace thinks that Hillary was in control of the 7 agencies that had to approve the deal along with the State of Utah. Of course Fox viewers are never going to use reason to try to figure all this out. Let the conspiracy theories roll on!!!

the 7 (none / 0) (#28)
    by Uncle Chip on Sun Apr 26, 2015 at 11:17:14 AM EST

Lanny pointed that out but Wallace then retorted that the uranium deal required the approval of all 7 agencies. If any 1 of those 7 agencies objected then the deal was off.

And Hillary was in charge of 1 of those 7 and it  voted yes.

Lanny sheepishly consented to that fact.

Uncle, it pains me (none / 0) (#29)
    by jimakaPPJ on Sun Apr 26, 2015 at 11:34:52 AM EST
    but sometimes you are right. In this case you are.

Of course the Hillary supporters won't admit to the simple fact that no one gives millions to a politician without an expectation of something in return.

Simply put, Hillary has given uranium to Putin who will give it to Iran who has vowed to use it to destroy Israel and America.

This is our selling of scrap metal to Japan prior to WWII on steroids.

I was stunned watching (none / 0) (#30)
    by Uncle Chip on Sun Apr 26, 2015 at 11:43:25 AM EST
    George Stephanopolous this morning.

Mark Halperin and the other of Bloomberg News guy said that the only Democrats defending the Clintons on this are those on the Clinton payroll.

Then they panned over to Donna Brazille as she began defending them. She looked down the whole time.

The Clinton Campaign was invited on ALL the Sunday shows this morning and they refused ALL the invitations.

Haha (none / 0) (#34)
    by Ga6thDem on Sun Apr 26, 2015 at 12:03:15 PM EST
    this is from the transcript on ABC

although ABC found no evidence that Hillary Clinton took action based on these contributions.

According (none / 0) (#37)
    by Ga6thDem on Sun Apr 26, 2015 at 12:08:33 PM EST
    to the transcript Halperin never said that about democrats defending Hillary.

Do you really think you can come here and continue to lie?

Well (none / 0) (#33)
    by Ga6thDem on Sun Apr 26, 2015 at 11:57:14 AM EST
    first off all the money wasn't given directly to her but if you believe that nobody gives money with out strings attached then I guess you have a problem with so many candidates being funded by only one person?

Or do you not have a problem with one person funding candidates because they support your wacko agenda for the country?

So (none / 0) (#32)
    by Ga6thDem on Sun Apr 26, 2015 at 11:55:41 AM EST
    now the goal posts are moving. LOL. You're EVEN admitting that she didn't control the deal.

One vote would not have mattered when they had to go through 7 more people.

You guys are freaking hysterical.

Well, clearly (none / 0) (#25)
    by CaptHowdy on Sun Apr 26, 2015 at 10:51:01 AM EST
    while it may be boring to some, the tenor of this thread can only be improved by-

Part V

The Empire Strikes Back
    April 12th, 2011.  Tuesday

I will get good news and bad news today. In that order.  I wake up with a well stocked pantry so I can think of other things.   The first order of business is a visit to the unemployment office.  In spite of being told my claim won't be challenged I don't trust them.  Working in the film industry you learn your way around this system and how easily it can go south.   Driving there I call my sister and ask them to start looking for a house for me to rent here expecting to be here, in AR, for a while.
    The first fortunate thing that happens for me, at the unemployment five,  is that I find out while discussing my case with the random case worker I draw is that he has only been in the job for a few months having previously been employed by and fired by the same employer who just fired me.  Driven by the same person behind my experience, something that person is known for BTW, and for similar stupid political reasons that had nothing to do with performance.  And they blocked his benefits.  He has an axe to grind and promises me he will move heaven and earth to make sure I receive benefits.  He tells me everything I need to do to prepare for a challenge should one come.  Then he reminds me that the congress has passed extended benefits and that should I need them I would be eligible for up to two years of benefits.   Welcome news but at the time I certainly have no plans to be unemployed for two years.  I have never really had a problem in the job market.

With this behind me I meet some friends from work for lunch and get the bad news.  I'm told that the Emperor and his minions plan to actively try to sabotage my job search.  Something they can effectively do because that 3.5 year job was my only work history in that field.   This plus the fact that I will be 60 in November in a field where the average age is twenty something is a real problem.  I know that I can find a job in the film industry.  I did that for the 15 previous years and have many friends and contacts.  The problem is, I don't want to.  It would mean going back into the contract meat grinder.  Two months here, three there.  God only knowing where "there" might be.   It was the reason I left the field in the first place.  Two years of unemployment is starting to look like a fortunate option.   It would bring me right up to retirement age and effectively be early retirement.  Not a terrible thing.  But with a big problem.  My single most important goal for retirement had long been that I would own the house I was living in.  I had been in a lease to own agreement with the landlord there and had fully expected to stay in that job for two more years or however much longer i needed to feel good about the equity in the house.
    I really loved that house.  That house was my first major stroke of luck in this story.  I found and rented it from Craig's List without having seen it.  The pics looked great and surprisingly did not do it justice.  The biggest surprise was that it was a lakefront property.  Which incredibly was not mentioned in the ad.  It was right on a large gorgeous lake.  My backyard was lakefront. There was a lot of things I hated about being there in that city.  The geography, flatter than a calm ocean, the biggest hill for hundreds of miles in any direction was the freeway exit ramp.  I was never very excited about the job and hated about half the people I worked with.   That house made it all bearable.  I had great neighbors.  Still in touch with them.   I had really wanted to buy that house.

Having had several drinks for and after lunch I resolve to call the following day to inquire about cashing out my 401k.  Hoping it would give me the money I needed to move and pay a first and last month on a rental house.  If I had enough left over to pay down a couple of the over the limits cards I would have been thrilled.

The next part is my favorite part of the story.