Trump Vetoes Funding Bill

Donald Trump has issued his first veto in response to Congress's rejection of his emergency declaration of a border crisis.

It's unlikely Congress will have the votes to override the veto. Still, at least some Republicans refused to go along with Trump's shenanigans.

< Trump Wants $8.6 Billion for Worthless Wall | New Book Trashes Jared and Ivanka for Self-Dealing >

I used to think that George Bush (5.00 / 1) (#1)
    by desertswine on Fri Mar 15, 2019 at 09:15:08 PM EST
    was an embarrassment (and he was), but Trump is on a whole other level, he's an absolute obscenity.

This stuff about expanded (none / 0) (#2)
    by CaptHowdy on Fri Mar 15, 2019 at 09:54:34 PM EST
    Emergency powers gets pretty creepy when you combine it with the "I have the police and the military" stuff.

Until You Remember that Trump... (5.00 / 1) (#21)
    by ScottW714 on Mon Mar 18, 2019 at 12:21:45 PM EST
    ... is a GD liar who in no way has the military.

Attorney General Barr (5.00 / 2) (#3)
    by KeysDan on Fri Mar 15, 2019 at 11:07:25 PM EST
    was present at the Oval Office to enthusiastically support Trump's veto of the wall emergency resolution, claiming it was legal, fully authorized, in accord with the intent of the law, and needed to address the humanitarian crisis at the border. Barr will fight it in Court, and believes it will prevail.

Aside from indictments, it seems that Barr will attempt to bury any Mueller report and provide only a sanitized version to the Congress and, maybe, to the public.

Barr's job for Trump, as it was for Daddy Bush, is to save the Republican party, in my view.   Anything of substance that Congress and the public get from the Mueller report will come only after legal and political fights.  Maybe that is why the House Republicans voted for making a Mueller report public---have it both ways, in favor of "transparency" for public consumption and Barr there to do the dirty work.

Dan (5.00 / 1) (#4)
    by CaptHowdy on Sat Mar 16, 2019 at 11:43:11 AM EST
    Do you agree that Maher (aside from the stuff about the democrats "growing a pair")  redeemed himself a bit this week.

It was a good show.

I actually watched (5.00 / 1) (#5)
    by CaptHowdy on Sat Mar 16, 2019 at 11:48:04 AM EST
    The whole thing

"I love children, but I couldn't eat a WHOLE one"

Agreed, (none / 0) (#6)
    by KeysDan on Sat Mar 16, 2019 at 12:21:57 PM EST
    It was a very good show.  I probably was a little too harsh last week.

Interesting guests.  Andrew Gillum continues to be impressive--smart, articulate and engaging.  The FBI sort of did to him what they did to Hillary.  Apparently, no charges but late enough to impact a close election.  Still a Florida ethics complaint, ironic to have both ethics and Florida in the same sentence.  Not likely to go too far.

The other Andrew on the show--McCabe, was not persuasive regarding FBI treatment of Hillary (loyalty to Comey/FBI). otherwise an informative interview..  Senator Tester made a few cogent comments on the admissions scandal.  All guests seemed reluctant to acknowledge that the dumb rich kids might have been aware which is a little hard to reconcile, especially if presented as a top rowing athlete and they have never been a boat.

On one of the shows (5.00 / 1) (#7)
    by Ga6thDem on Sat Mar 16, 2019 at 01:00:02 PM EST
    that I saw him on he basically did admit that the FBI made a mistake with Comey's little nonsense statement. It all gets back to the reason there are regulations when it comes to saying things like that and they did not follow regulations.

I am with Heileman. (none / 0) (#16)
    by Chuck0 on Mon Mar 18, 2019 at 09:27:30 AM EST
    I couldn't eat whole one. My neighborhood has had a turnover to where I lots of kids running around now. I only get to sit on the front porch and tell 'em to get off my lawn.

W. C. Fields (none / 0) (#17)
    by CaptHowdy on Mon Mar 18, 2019 at 09:39:01 AM EST

"I like children. If they're properly cooked."

Boy oh boy (5.00 / 1) (#8)
    by CaptHowdy on Sun Mar 17, 2019 at 05:21:20 PM EST
    I won't repeat the tweets but the "president" is clearly becoming more dangerous and unhinged by the day.

By the hour

I mean seriously, threatening SNL with the FCC?  Because they only make fun of him and never democrats?  You have to wonder if any of his "followers" are stupid enough to believe this?  It seems impossible.  It's like his ravings are no longer expected to be in any way true.  It's just their truth.

I'm not paranoid or particularly skittish but it's actually becoming scary.   Hard to say if his ranting about SNL or FOX and the dumping of his personal harpy Jeanine Pirro.  Which I have to say surprised me.

He did not take it well.

Looks like (5.00 / 2) (#19)
    by KeysDan on Mon Mar 18, 2019 at 10:03:57 AM EST
    Trump watched the entire SNL show and complained about how it repeatedly has skits that make fun of him without realizing that the show was a re-run....from last year.

Well, (5.00 / 1) (#20)
    by Zorba on Mon Mar 18, 2019 at 11:42:30 AM EST
    Plus ça change, plus c'est la même chose.
    Although, if anything, he's gotten much worse in the past year.

I imagine (none / 0) (#10)
    by Ga6thDem on Sun Mar 17, 2019 at 07:18:01 PM EST
    you have seen this if not in your immediate area somewhere not too far away. I have. Really this all started with George W. Bush or maybe even before. Maybe back in the 90's when I was driving through S. GA. and saw signs screaming against Clinton/Gore. Anyway it illustrates the point you have been making.

You have to think (none / 0) (#11)
    by CaptHowdy on Sun Mar 17, 2019 at 08:41:55 PM EST
    The FBI and probably others are tracking this stuff.  Heck, you don't need any special skills to do that.  Just social media.

The threats are coming harder and faster all the time.

I understand why they would be cagey about how and to what extent they are tracking it but I believe they are.  Just as they were tracking Trumps Russia entanglements before he was a presidential candidate.

Not even (none / 0) (#12)
    by Ga6thDem on Mon Mar 18, 2019 at 07:27:24 AM EST
    social media in general. From my experience all you would need is Facebook. However when you report this stuff to Facebook it seems to go into a black hole.

On Oct. 22. I wrote this: (none / 0) (#13)
    by Chuck0 on Mon Mar 18, 2019 at 08:43:46 AM EST
    But if those in power refuse to recognize the election. Refuse to leave and cede their seats to the Democratic victors, what is your step. What is your recourse? The courts? That's hilarious. The next clarion may be "to arms, to arms."

Sorry but I still believe oompa loompa and his minions will drive us to armed conflict. I am ready. Are you ?

(Peter G rated it a 1.0).

Based on king orange's recent tweets about this police, military and biker buddies, I think my opinion still holds water.

As the noose tightens on this criminal conspiracy at 1600 PA, it will get worse long before it gets better. The tweets will become more inciteful and his minions will take action. Maybe on a limited scale, but I see a Christchurch happening here (again). (see Pittsburgh).

Sadly (none / 0) (#14)
    by CaptHowdy on Mon Mar 18, 2019 at 09:16:07 AM EST
    I fear so.

I didn't even realize when I left that comment that there was more than 50 tweets this weekend.  Fifty

I absolutely believe HE BELIEVES he is laying that groundwork for letting loose the dogs of war when they come for him.  Which he has to know they will at this point.

I think his little coup will fail miserably but...

I agree.  We are in for a very dark time.

I don't believe he has the support (none / 0) (#15)
    by Chuck0 on Mon Mar 18, 2019 at 09:25:43 AM EST
    he THINKS he as amongst military, police or even bikers. However, there are enough random nutballs out there that they will take his coded messages and believe he talking to them. And they will act.

Cohen said oompa loompa always talks in code. That is his cover. Someone will do something horrible and that lowlife will disavow any responsibility.

Krystol (5.00 / 1) (#18)
    by CaptHowdy on Mon Mar 18, 2019 at 09:42:24 AM EST

Bill "Slightly Dangerous" Kristol
    @BillKristol
    Re-upping this in light of Trump's retweets in the last hour. And I repeat: Fellow Republicans, read today's tweets and retweets. Don't avert your eyes. Averting your eyes is refusing to come to grips with Trump's mental condition and psychological state. It's avoiding reality.
    Quote Tweet

Bill "Slightly Dangerous" Kristol
    @BillKristol
    To Republicans who've been inclined to acquiesce in a Trump re-nomination in 2020: Read his tweets this morning. Think seriously about his mental condition and psychological state. Then tell me you're fine with him as president of the United States for an additional four years

Yep, that's right (none / 0) (#22)
    by Peter G on Mon Mar 18, 2019 at 03:15:40 PM EST
    I don't cotton to no talk of violence, no-sir.

I'm not and did not advocate (none / 0) (#23)
    by Chuck0 on Mon Mar 18, 2019 at 03:35:15 PM EST
    violence. I am just facing the truth of today. And stated my willingness to defend myself if comes to that.

I do not live in fear and will not stick my head in the sand because I don't like what's happening around me.

Steve King (none / 0) (#24)
    by CaptHowdy on Mon Mar 18, 2019 at 04:46:47 PM EST
    King is (5.00 / 1) (#25)
    by Zorba on Mon Mar 18, 2019 at 05:38:00 PM EST
    A right-wing white supremacist, and a total idiot.

And I don't know why he assumes that everyone on the left is unarmed.  Many of us have guns, and we know how to use them.

The Nez Perce had a long history ... (5.00 / 1) (#26)
    by Donald from Hawaii on Mon Mar 18, 2019 at 07:22:42 PM EST
    ... as a relatively peace-loving indigenous people in the Northwest. They were the tribe who rescued the Lewis and Clarke expedition from starvation and sheltered them in the winter of 1804-05.

But the Nez Perce's relatively passive and agreeable nature certainly didn't mean that they wouldn't or couldn't defend themselves by force of arms, as the U.S. Army learned to its chagrin in the summer of 1877. The fiercest enemy in battle is often the opponent who first did everything he could to avoid armed conflict in the first place.

Aloha.

We would never start something, (none / 0) (#27)
    by Zorba on Tue Mar 19, 2019 at 08:41:37 PM EST
    But like the Nez Perce, we would certainly fight back if attacked.

One more thing (5.00 / 7) (#9)
    by CaptHowdy on Sun Mar 17, 2019 at 05:29:24 PM EST
    I don't think I can take one more stupid bobble head confidently talking about how after Trumps emergency declaration they will just never EVER be able to say a thing in opposition to a progressive president using the same tactics because their "hypocrisy" would be exposed.

Really?

What planet in what galaxy would have needed to be on for the last two years to even hope republicans would feel shame or hypocrisy?  Forget saying it out loud.  On tv.

Our media becomes more pathetic and complicit by the day.

By the hour.