Guantanamo By The Dollar: Wasteful Spending
The U.S. has spent $500 million upgrading Guantanamo since 2001, according to the first published report on the prison's spending.
Here's some of where the money went:
- $188,000 for a marquee sign that says "Welcome Aboard"
- $249,000 for an abandoned volleyball court
- $296,000 for an unused go-cart track
- $3.5 million for 27 playgrounds, mostly unused
- $683,000 to renovate a cafe that sells ice cream and Starbucks coffee
- $773,000 to remodel a cinder-block building to house a KFC/Taco Bell restaurant.
The point of these expenditures: "[T]o comfort the military personnel and contractors who run detainee operations." Despite the decline in number of detainees (now at 181), the spending continues:
Next up is an expansion of one of the most popular spots on the base: O'Kelly's, an Irish pub. [More...]
|< Bernie Madoff: Prison Hero | Helen Thomas Retires From Hearst Publications >|