First Case of Ebola in NYC Confirmed

A doctor in New York who recently returned from Africa has been confirmed to have Ebola. It was the main story on CNN (Sirius in the car) all afternoon, segment after segment.

He went bowling (I think they said last night) and he took an Uber taxi to the bowling alley. His girlfriend is in quarantine.

Every politician and doctor interviewed said there's no threat to anyone except those he came in direct contact with, which is very few people. Since he's a doctor, he knew what to look for and acted appropriately. So why is this such important news?

< Thursday Open Thread

Because we didn't get panicky enough (5.00 / 2) (#1)
    by Anne on Thu Oct 23, 2014 at 08:22:46 PM EST
    when it happened in Texas, despite truly herculean efforts to scare the crap out of people.

It just makes my blood boil to know that this most irresponsible form of reporting is blanketing the country.  He took a cab!!! He went bowling!!! How many people touched that bowling ball???

Aiyeeeee!

Ruuuuun for your liiiiiiiiives!!!!!

Media is increasingly taking this approach with everything: the Canadian Parliament shooting, the breach of the fence at the WH.  It's like the Drudge Report invaded the major networks and sucked the last vestige of responsible reporting out and replaced it with panic and fear and insanity.

I hate it.

I guess you ould call me one of those that say run (5.00 / 3) (#10)
    by Amiss on Thu Oct 23, 2014 at 11:28:00 PM EST
    I live in a city in ME Fla.where one case was suspected. No one said anything until the person was discharged from the hospital.
    I honestly have a fear because I am in an MD.'s office, a lab or actually hospitalized close to weekly.
    I had worked as a floor nurse and an OR nurse until I was injured. Some of the truly dumb things that those that are in the medical professions are doing really appear to be irresponsible and selfish, thinking mostly of just themselves.
    I had something very contagious just before Christmas and I was in quarantine for three weeks. I know how careful you should be.
    I can catch an infection at the drop of a hat. An MD
    just acting so irresponsibly boggles my mind.
    I'll shut up now and pray no one else comes back with it or is lax in precautions.

blech (none / 0) (#11)
    by Amiss on Thu Oct 23, 2014 at 11:29:12 PM EST
    NE Florida.

I agree that panic is not the proper reaction (5.00 / 1) (#14)
    by ZtoA on Fri Oct 24, 2014 at 02:23:12 AM EST
    from us, the general public, but awareness is AOK. Panic in the daily news cycles leads to general awareness - that is just the way it works (and always has).

I think of it like this: the great eye of the collective consciousness turns this way and then that (like in Lord of the Rings movies). It may not even see or recognize the true threats or benefits to the health of everyone even when it seems to perceive something.

No need to look away, but there is a need to look deeper (and thanks to some, including TL) for pointing that way.

The media is not working on (none / 0) (#18)
    by Anne on Fri Oct 24, 2014 at 06:22:17 AM EST
    awareness, they are working on hysteria.  Just watched a bit of the Today show, and could not believe how hard they were working to get someone - the governor, a doctor - to give them an inch on the scare they were working on.  I suppose it's something that the people they had on weren't going along with the scare plan - I shudder to think what would be the result if they were.

It's just so irresponsible; nothing good comes from panic.

WAKE UP ANNE (none / 0) (#2)
    by CaptHowdy on Thu Oct 23, 2014 at 08:29:31 PM EST
    he could have fed pigeons.  And one could be sitting on you window sill right now.

New York pigeons (5.00 / 3) (#4)
    by Peter G on Thu Oct 23, 2014 at 08:33:50 PM EST
    do not travel to Maryland. And if they do, they stay in the coop for 21 days before going out.

A pigeon flight ban (5.00 / 1) (#5)
    by CaptHowdy on Thu Oct 23, 2014 at 08:35:27 PM EST
    would make sure.

How do you take a pigeon's temperature? (none / 0) (#8)
    by Anne on Thu Oct 23, 2014 at 09:18:38 PM EST
    Wait - don't answer that!

But what about peregrine falcons ... (none / 0) (#16)
    by Donald from Hawaii on Fri Oct 24, 2014 at 04:05:32 AM EST
    ... who catch and eat those pigeons? One of them could also be roosting on the ledge outside someone's office window, even as we speak, after having just dined on that pigeon which was perched outside Anne's window.

Hey! At least with the fence breach (none / 0) (#7)
    by nycstray on Thu Oct 23, 2014 at 08:49:53 PM EST
    we got to see some pretty doggies and learn that one likes to play with his kong :P

Meanwhile we've recently had ... (none / 0) (#15)
    by Donald from Hawaii on Fri Oct 24, 2014 at 03:57:33 AM EST
    ... five adult cases of measles, three on Maui and two in Kauai, an outbreak that's likely caused by increasing numbers of people who are declining to get either themselves or their kids vaccinated.

Measles in adults over 20 years of age can lead to pneumonia, encephalitis (inflammation of the brain), severe ear infections and potential loss of hearing, diarrhea, seizures and even death.

But, hey, you know, Ebola.

FEEYAH (5.00 / 1) (#6)
    by vicndabx on Thu Oct 23, 2014 at 08:42:47 PM EST
    Like austrailian for beer.

The news outlets could not wait for NYC to have a confirmed case.

Ridiculous over hyping of a story.

The resident fearmonger (5.00 / 1) (#9)
    by Politalkix on Thu Oct 23, 2014 at 10:04:11 PM EST
    in TL who seems to be scared sh$tl$ss that all of us are in danger from Islamic retaliation because of US airstrikes against ISIS has one more thing to fear and have a meltdown-EBOLA in NYC. It is a matter of time before he starts blaming the President for putting his "life in danger"!

It is not just the idiotic media! The fringes in the political spectrum have gone off their deep ends with the media in tow. Misery loves company.

Don't worry.... (none / 0) (#17)
    by lentinel on Fri Oct 24, 2014 at 04:26:42 AM EST
    Be Happy.

Has it been established which (none / 0) (#3)
    by oculus on Thu Oct 23, 2014 at 08:32:44 PM EST
    country (ies) he visited in Africa?

I think I heard (none / 0) (#12)
    by Jeralyn on Fri Oct 24, 2014 at 12:31:29 AM EST
    Guinea on CNN. Not sure if he was treating Ebola patients, I haven't been reading the followup stories tonight.

Per NYT: (5.00 / 1) (#13)
    by oculus on Fri Oct 24, 2014 at 01:07:24 AM EST
    Dr. Spencer had been working with Doctors Without Borders in Guinea treating Ebola patients, and completed his work on Oct. 12, Dr. Bassett said. He flew out of the country on Oct. 14, traveling via Europe, and arrived in New York on Oct. 17.