Supreme Court Begins New Term
Monday, the Supreme Court, with newly appointed Justice Sonia Sotomayor, begins its new term. Among the cases of interest:
- Whether police may reinterrogate a continuously imprisoned suspect about an offense for which he invoked his right to counsel three years earlier
- The applicability of Second Amendment gun rights to state and local governments
- Whether the Eighth Amendment's ban on cruel and unusual punishment bars Florida from imprisoning juveniles for the rest of their lives without any possibility for parole.
- The validity of a federal law that allows the government to hold alleged sexual predators indefinitely in protective custody once they are deemed to be "sexually dangerous," even after they have served a full criminal sentence.
- Whether Congress has the power to ban possession and distribution of images of animal cruelty, such as pit bull fights.
|< Sunday Night Open Thread | Public Option A Test Of Obama's Political Strength >|