Monday Open Thread

Busy work day, here's an open thread, all topics welcome. Keep it civil.

< "The Good Wife" Returns in Overdrive

A Couple Things... (5.00 / 1) (#3)
    by ScottW714 on Mon Sep 22, 2014 at 01:35:01 PM EST
    Walmart Mexico is in trouble for hosting a cockfight to sell soda.  LINK
    --------------------

Airline passenger shaming on FB.
    I probably shouldn't write this(jinx), but I have never had any real problems with anyone, including babies when flying.  And only once have I had a flight cancelled, which was due to a snow storm and they put me on Midwest Express flight, which used to be all first class seats.  IOW I have been extremely lucky with flying.
    --------------------

I mentioned the other day that I though once of the reasons the NFL had lower incident of DV is because they get paid.  By the time they are broke, they are no longer in the NFL.  This doesn't prove anything, but:

9.7% is the rate of physical violence by an intimate partner for women with a household income of less than $25k.  2.8% for the same except with a household income above $75k.  Other DV stats HERE.
    --------------------

Ray Lewis all in one sitting:

"This is one of those situations that ... [throat clear] it's family, if this incident, what we're dealing with ... if they could do this all over again, they would."

"We're here for one reason and one reason only -- we're here for domestic violence. We're here because we saw a friend of mine brutally hit his wife in the face in the elevator. That ... there's some things you can cover up ... and then there's some things you can't cover up."

"Right now is a sad day for me, because the reputation that I left in this organization -- this isn't it!"  LINK

I think it would be in everyone's benefit to not ask OJ about how the league/Ravens deal with criminals on ESPN.  We all well aware of what Lewis can cover up.

Airline passenger shaming on FB. (none / 0) (#16)
    by CaptHowdy on Mon Sep 22, 2014 at 02:09:49 PM EST
    IMO thiS is an excellent idea.  No confrontation, no threats or violence just a possibility of being made famous for being an a$$hole.   The one thing everyone in the social media age fears most.

Bravo.  Why did this take so long.
    And yes, you have been lucky.

In Theory... (none / 0) (#38)
    by ScottW714 on Mon Sep 22, 2014 at 03:00:00 PM EST
    ...but the people in the pics don't look like they have much shame.  I have never seen someone barefoot prop their feet up or take their shirt off on a plane.

The shame, in my mind, is the staff allowing this kind of non-sense.  If the seat has to be up for takeoff/landing can't they add that your shoes and shirt stay on the whole flight ?

Shoes On? (none / 0) (#39)
    by squeaky on Mon Sep 22, 2014 at 03:04:08 PM EST
    Why would they need to require people to have their shoes on for the whole flight?

I always take my shoes off during a flight.

Do you have a thing against unshod feet?

Not all (none / 0) (#42)
    by CaptHowdy on Mon Sep 22, 2014 at 03:07:50 PM EST
    just the ones that smell like a$$

I have Had people put their (none / 0) (#41)
    by CaptHowdy on Mon Sep 22, 2014 at 03:06:35 PM EST
    foot on the outside armrest just like that. He was wearing sandals and sox.  Really.  Also had them stick their feet through between the seats.

Possibly little shame but it's a tool.

Ray Lewis should be an expert on (none / 0) (#24)
    by jimakaPPJ on Mon Sep 22, 2014 at 02:22:04 PM EST
    cover ups.

What's wrong Lassie? (5.00 / 1) (#5)
    by CaptHowdy on Mon Sep 22, 2014 at 01:39:42 PM EST
    a child fell down a well?

(Trying photo bucket since stupidIOS8 won't let me use the image hosting services I've been using)

Howdy, after your comments about IOS8 (none / 0) (#20)
    by fishcamp on Mon Sep 22, 2014 at 02:13:09 PM EST
    my computer wanted to upgrade my iPhone 5 to it but I declined.  I'm sure Apple is working on patches since the entire debacle is on International news.  Is your French gremlin peeping in like MOBlue's?  We may all have to go to Paris where there is an Apple store.  I see it's 59 degrees over there which is the edge of my cold tolerance level these days.  81 and rainy here today.  We could all take my little boat to Cuba but they would keep it and release us to the Coast Guard in preparation for a $7,500 fine.  We can go if invited and I know the folks at Hemingway Marina.  It's not illegal to go but it's illegal to spend money with the enemy, however if invited...no problem.  Naturally you spend money but the invitation works wonders.  You do have to stop at the Bureau of Human Resources in Key West and state you fished in Cuban waters but spent no money.  They do not have an Apple store in Cuba.

No french today (none / 0) (#23)
    by CaptHowdy on Mon Sep 22, 2014 at 02:21:07 PM EST
    and honestly the only residual effects I am still seeing is that I can't, for whatever reason, use thumbsnsp or any of the other image sharing sites I haves used before.  I even tried downloading a new browser.

But I discovered it still worked through FB. So I tried photobucket planning to use the FB connector.  But it turns out I can upload to phothbucket from my iPad.  But not the others.

Shrug

Gremlin Update (none / 0) (#25)
    by MO Blue on Mon Sep 22, 2014 at 02:25:53 PM EST
    My gremlin got tired of French and has moved on to Spanish today. Can't wait to see what other languages meets his fancy.

OMG me too (none / 0) (#29)
    by CaptHowdy on Mon Sep 22, 2014 at 02:33:20 PM EST
    qué demonios

Yo hablo Español también... (none / 0) (#32)
    by fishcamp on Mon Sep 22, 2014 at 02:36:06 PM EST
    I think there's a new Apple store in Barcelona where I've never been.  Have you?

Well, there ya go. (5.00 / 1) (#7)
    by sarcastic unnamed one on Mon Sep 22, 2014 at 01:49:39 PM EST
    In a comment the other day regarding the Danielle Watts vs LAPD imbroglio, I said something about how we all should get personal cameras for our own protection, similar to the cops.

Now it looks like some Ferguson residents will do just that:

FERGUSON, Mo. - Some residents in Ferguson, Missouri, are equipping themselves with cameras, and knowledge.

With the help of a California-based group called We Copwatch citizens are training to better understand their civil rights and how to properly record police interactions with the public.

We Copwatch was started in 2013 as a support group of the Berkeley Copwatch which began in 1990. Its stated purpose and goals are: "To reduce violence and harassment through accountability" and "To empower and unite the community by creating alternatives that don't require police involvement."

We Copwatch co-founder, Jacob Crawford, says his group raised over $6,000 to buy video cameras for residents of the Canfield Green Apartments, the neighborhood where Michael Brown was shot to death by Ferguson police officer Darren Wilson on August 9.

It'll be interesting to see how the (5.00 / 1) (#10)
    by Anne on Mon Sep 22, 2014 at 01:59:01 PM EST
    Ferguson PD responds the first time one of its officers is filmed up close and personal...

They Already Have Shown... (none / 0) (#43)
    by ScottW714 on Mon Sep 22, 2014 at 03:09:20 PM EST
    ...what they think of personal recording devises at the Brown shooting scene.  Not allowed and that is that, not sure why anyone thinks that a devise that records like a phone won't be snatched up like a phone.

John Crawford III was shot 4 days before Brown and IMO much worse than Ferguson.  A black man shot and killed at Walmart while carrying a pellet gun in an area that allows open carry. In other words, it's OK for white folks to carry loaded guns in the streets, but not OK when black folks carry a pellet gun inside a store that sells them. LINK

Did you see (none / 0) (#46)
    by CaptHowdy on Mon Sep 22, 2014 at 03:13:47 PM EST
    Masters of Sex?

Video games = violence is BS (5.00 / 1) (#11)
    by CaptHowdy on Mon Sep 22, 2014 at 01:59:26 PM EST
    Ice (none / 0) (#15)
    by squeaky on Mon Sep 22, 2014 at 02:08:00 PM EST
    I am telling you, I have done my research and the school shooting incidents directly correlate with the increased use of automatic ice makers on refrigerators made in the last 15 years.

Ice ice (none / 0) (#17)
    by CaptHowdy on Mon Sep 22, 2014 at 02:10:49 PM EST
    baby

OMG (none / 0) (#31)
    by squeaky on Mon Sep 22, 2014 at 02:35:57 PM EST
    It is spreading to the mid east!!!

FLEE!!! (none / 0) (#34)
    by CaptHowdy on Mon Sep 22, 2014 at 02:39:35 PM EST
    FLEE FOR YOUR LIVES!!!!!!!

Civil? As in civil war? (none / 0) (#1)
    by CoralGables on Mon Sep 22, 2014 at 01:13:43 PM EST
    Let the sniping begin.

Dija see that Deena Kastor (none / 0) (#8)
    by sarcastic unnamed one on Mon Sep 22, 2014 at 01:51:14 PM EST
    set a new US Masters 1/2 Marathon record in Philly this weekend?

Along with the Women's Masters 15K (none / 0) (#19)
    by CoralGables on Mon Sep 22, 2014 at 02:11:51 PM EST
    10 Mile and 20K if I'm not mistaken. Shalane Flanagan will be trying to take down Deena's American Marathon mark In Berlin this weekend.

Yeah man, she rocks. (none / 0) (#30)
    by sarcastic unnamed one on Mon Sep 22, 2014 at 02:33:44 PM EST
    She grew up locally here in CA and comes back for Christmas and stuff. Pics of her are all over our local running shoe stores.

Couple years ago during the holidays I was trail running at a local state park and a female runner passed me like I was standing still. It wasn't until she passed that I realized who she was. Skinny as a rail and mad fast turnover. Puts things in perspective when you see an elite run in person, as you can compare them side by side to the rest of us normals...

Another banner evening... (none / 0) (#2)
    by kdog on Mon Sep 22, 2014 at 01:17:27 PM EST
    with Phil Lesh & Friends last night...long may he run.  Setlist here for interested aficionados.  Paying the bill today boy...Sunday shows are rough when you're getting old, especially after two football games and no time for a nap! ;)

One of my cohorts was able to bribe the guy about to put a parking boot on his car...60 bucks in lieu of 125 boot removal fee.  Lucky for him it was an outsourced private contractor and not a city employee...but boy was he still pissed.  I'm not aware of anyplace else in NYC with permit parking only in a residential area that goes straight to the boot no ticket other than Forest Hills.  Beautiful neighborhood, but very snooty.  The residents are none to thrilled they are holding concerts again at the old tennis stadium...they must have really loved the nitrous hawkers who commandeered 71st Ave!

I had to settle for (none / 0) (#4)
    by CoralGables on Mon Sep 22, 2014 at 01:37:28 PM EST
    Tom Petty and The Heartbreakers and Steve Winwood this weekend.

You poor thing! ;) (none / 0) (#12)
    by kdog on Mon Sep 22, 2014 at 02:00:34 PM EST
    I'm still kickin' myself for missing Petty, Winwood, and many more at the Lockn Fest. Kickin' myself hard.

I've still never seen Petty...Winwood I've seen many times.  Bowery Ballroom small club vibe, arena show with Clapton, Mountain Jam.

I'd imagine it was stupendous CG....they jam at all together?

Double bill coming up this weekend...the jamband stylings of MOE Friday night, and the singer/songwriter stylings of Willie Nile on Saturday.  Keep the summer rockin' into autumn baby!

Winwood was the opening act (5.00 / 1) (#21)
    by CoralGables on Mon Sep 22, 2014 at 02:15:52 PM EST
    Was an outdoor concert in West Palm Beach. 50% chance of rain but nothing but stars in the sky all night (and plenty of margaritas on the menu)

No sh*t... (5.00 / 2) (#28)
    by kdog on Mon Sep 22, 2014 at 02:31:02 PM EST
    margaritas were our lubricant of choice as well, at this hole in the wall Mexican joint where I got to talking to a guy who saw The Dead over 70 times, including twice way back in the day with Pig Pen.

Did Steve hit ya with the Low Spark?  We got Low Spark....

If I gave you everything that I owned
    And asked for nothing in return
    Would you do the same for me as I would for you?
    Or take me for a ride
    And strip me of everything, including my pride
    But spirit is something that no one destroys
    And the sound that I'm hearing is only the sound
    The low spark of high-heeled boys

Wore that album out when I was in college. (none / 0) (#33)
    by sarcastic unnamed one on Mon Sep 22, 2014 at 02:38:32 PM EST
    Great record... (none / 0) (#40)
    by kdog on Mon Sep 22, 2014 at 03:05:38 PM EST
    "Light Up or Leave Me Alone" is obviously a personal fave.

As far as Traffic records go though, "John Barleycorn Must Die" is my sh*t.

One of My Favorite Songs (none / 0) (#44)
    by ScottW714 on Mon Sep 22, 2014 at 03:10:07 PM EST
    Pity, that (none / 0) (#14)
    by sj on Mon Sep 22, 2014 at 02:06:57 PM EST
    I had to settle for (none / 0) (#4)
    by CoralGables on Mon Sep 22, 2014 at 12:37:28 PM MDT

Tom Petty and The Heartbreakers and Steve Winwood this weekend.

In Houston... (none / 0) (#6)
    by ScottW714 on Mon Sep 22, 2014 at 01:48:18 PM EST
    ...they call the tow truck most of the time, same cost and the 'bribe' one of my friends once paid was the same, but that 'bribe' was paid right in front of a cop which consisted of letting my car down.

I am convinced the police get a kickback on the tows.  They would never patrol and be so methodical if they weren't getting paid.

If you breakdown, like I did a couple xmass' ago, they will tow you for free if you are on a freeway.  The problem, as I discovered, is it takes about 2 hours, and they drop you off at a gas station, that insists you call this tow company or they will tow it to the pound.

All in all, it took about 4 hours and around $150 to get a free tow when I broke down on a freeway ramp.

The driver did give me a ride home for an extra $20.

No such thing... (none / 0) (#18)
    by kdog on Mon Sep 22, 2014 at 02:10:54 PM EST
    as a free tow man.

Am I understanding you right and a Houston cop took a bribe to unhook a tow?  That's awesome...no NYC cop is risking his pension for 60 bucks, to even attempt it would leave you in handcuffs...but the underpaid outsourced no-pension private guys will.  Dude coulda made 600 bucks in bribes yesterday with the horrendous parking situation.

My buddy's friend who came with him is from Russia...he was telling us you can bribe your way outta anything with Moscow cops, and that's how everybody liked it because it often saved you money in the long run.  Said it was better than NYC that way.

No... (none / 0) (#45)
    by ScottW714 on Mon Sep 22, 2014 at 03:11:22 PM EST
    ...the 'bribe' was paid to the two truck driver in front of the cop.

The free towing is a myth, it was anything but free.

Robert F Kennedy Jr (none / 0) (#9)
    by Uncle Chip on Mon Sep 22, 2014 at 01:58:01 PM EST
    Robert F Kennedy Jr loses his cool and grabs mic from reporter pushing him about his own carbon footprint

He was a leading figure in one of the biggest climate change marches to date.

But it seems Robert F Kennedy Jr was not so forthcoming when it came to questions about his own carbon footprint.

Confronted by a reporter asking if he would give up his phone and car, the environmental lawyer became visibly irate before grabbing the microphone and accusing her of 'destroying democracy' as a member of the press.

OTOH Jr could (1.00 / 1) (#26)
    by jimakaPPJ on Mon Sep 22, 2014 at 02:26:39 PM EST
    choose a smaller car, a smaller home...and only one of them and no more private jets.

Of course he won't. He's special!

And speaking of the environment and leading by example.

Link

He is a Pro (5.00 / 1) (#35)
    by squeaky on Mon Sep 22, 2014 at 02:40:48 PM EST
    If you want to call that special, so be it.

But then again, why would you care, as far as you are concerned he is your enemy, and Global Warming does not exist.

Oh, I see chipping away at the ice block, character assassination in order to discredit the messenger and the message.

If RFK, Jr. (5.00 / 2) (#36)
    by Mordiggian 88 on Mon Sep 22, 2014 at 02:49:22 PM EST
    was wearIng sackcloth and ashes, some people would wonder why he wasn't dressing in cured animal skins to show how serious he is about global warming.

Yes (none / 0) (#13)
    by squeaky on Mon Sep 22, 2014 at 02:05:50 PM EST
    If RFK gave up his phone and car, stopped traveling, he would not only reduce his carbon footprint but would virtually eliminate his ability to lead, motivate, and inform the public about environmental issues.

Should we ask DiCaprio and Al Gore the same stupid questions?

What a surprise (5.00 / 1) (#22)
    by CaptHowdy on Mon Sep 22, 2014 at 02:15:58 PM EST
    Michelle Joann Fields is an American conservative political journalist. Upon graduating from Pepperdine University in 2011, she gained attention after having a confrontation with actor Matt Damon over teacher tenure reform.[1] After the altercation, Fields was hired as a reporter at The Daily Caller.

I'm sure she is very concerned about his footprint.

RFK Jr. does like to do things his way. (5.00 / 1) (#27)
    by fishcamp on Mon Sep 22, 2014 at 02:27:17 PM EST
    Years ago I filmed an eagle relocation show with him in Medford, Oregon.  He was a bit weird at first but this ABC crew had worked together with all types of humans and animals before, he saw that and respected it.  Also "Lady" the eagle was a fierce, large, and humbling bird.  He was the talent since he always had raptors while growing up which he did a lot of that week.

Ray Donavon (none / 0) (#37)
    by CaptHowdy on Mon Sep 22, 2014 at 02:52:08 PM EST
    anyone but me hooked on this?
    Last night was great.  Next week is the season finale.  There is a great book and movie called "A Simple Plan" about some guys who find a bag full of money and make a simple plan to keep it.  It ruins all their lives and take two of them.  Ray Dovavon is a 12 hour version of this.  Just when you thing things can't get more f$&ked up, they do.

The Denver Post likes it too

True confession: after the first season I gave up on "Ray Donovan," Showtime's dark drama about a fixer and his Boston Irish family transplanted to Los Angeles. I wasn't sure I could stomach more unrelentingly dark hours with this deeply disturbed family.

It seemed needlessly graphic in its depiction of sexual violence against women, too enthralled by the handsome thug at the center of the story, too familiar in its exaltation of the criminal antihero.

But the passion for the show by reasonable people drew me to take a second look.

I'm now hooked, again, with two episodes left (tonight and the season 2 finale, "The Captain," on Sept. 28), and relieved to know season 3 has been ordered.

In its second season, "Ray Donovan" is finding its focus in Oedipal struggles and the aftermath of the Boston priest pedophile scandal.

The question remains, does "Ray Donovan" hang together as well as, say, "The Sopranos"? Jon Voight's performance as the pathetic patriarch is awe-inspiring, and the machismo on display by Liev Schreiber is transfixing. It's engrossing and the acting is terrific, but so far this vigorous cable drama has more ambition than depth.