Wednesday Open Thread

My current prediction: Trump will lose in a landslide. But that will only matter to him if the popular vote difference is huge. So no matter where you live, even if it's in a blue state, please VOTE against Donald Trump. Any popularily shown to Trump will be taken as a sign by his undeserving children that they are heirs to his current position.

I am busy all afternoon -- time for a new open thread, all topics welcome.

< WAPO: Trump Directed More Than $8 Million to His Properties

Agreed... (5.00 / 3) (#1)
    by kdog on Wed Oct 28, 2020 at 01:50:53 PM EST
    normally a third-party "none of the above" voter from a safe blue state where such liberties are typically granted.

But these times are nothing but typical...I will be holding my nose and voting for f*cking Joe Biden of all people in the hopes of contributing to a landslide popular vote defeat for that vile man, and any kind of crooked electoral college defeat of that vile man and everything he f*cking stands for.

Never thought I'd see the day I'd vote for a Joe Biden...but this country needs to send a message to its people, its (supposedly) conservative party, and the world that this horrendous sh&t can never again be tolerated.

Once we flush the toilet, then we can work on making the Democrats respectable.  Like getting rid of Schumer and Feinstein...and Biden! lol

Your comment (none / 0) (#8)
    by MO Blue on Wed Oct 28, 2020 at 02:42:49 PM EST
    pretty much mirrors my position on this election except I'm in a red state which means my vote will only count in the popular vote.

I voted with both of you for Harris (none / 0) (#36)
    by Towanda on Wed Oct 28, 2020 at 05:30:18 PM EST
    in Wisconsin, so consider yourselves honorary swing staters who made a difference.

And you don't even have to endure the nonstop phone calls, ads, texts, and more.

Seriously, though, every vote in your states matter, too, so that we can see a popular vote that persuades the populace to not endure court battles, too. Read the Kavanaugh opinion on the case from Wisconsin and worry.

I actually got numerous (none / 0) (#39)
    by MO Blue on Wed Oct 28, 2020 at 05:49:23 PM EST
    robo calls from Biden. I wish he had toned down the volume on his calls. I'm slightly hard of hearing and the volume of what I heard before hanging up was too much. I think he could tone down his volume on his speeches as well.

We get ads from both parties as well. Most of the Republican ads tend to be dark with ominous music and messages of the horrors of a Democratic takeover of the state and Federal government.

Lots of calls and texts and mailers to (none / 0) (#55)
    by oculus on Wed Oct 28, 2020 at 09:13:39 PM EST
    Me in CA.

Your vote in red state (none / 0) (#65)
    by Coral on Thu Oct 29, 2020 at 04:48:14 AM EST
    is important. The closer the margin, the better. Send GOP a message. No more Trumps (or Trump types).

Sorry... Link to article below. (5.00 / 2) (#6)
    by vml68 on Wed Oct 28, 2020 at 02:40:03 PM EST
    It is pretty bad (revealing) (none / 0) (#9)
    by MO Blue on Wed Oct 28, 2020 at 02:48:45 PM EST
    that people have to ask if this is a joke. Someone couldn't possibly this dumb, right.  ( Well not proven when discussing Some Trump supporters).

They totally could be (none / 0) (#11)
    by CaptHowdy on Wed Oct 28, 2020 at 02:53:13 PM EST
    the stuff coming out of their mouths in the last few days...

I'm starting to think re-education camps might be needed.   I might come out of retirement if I could work in one.

It's scary... (5.00 / 1) (#14)
    by kdog on Wed Oct 28, 2020 at 03:04:17 PM EST
    and sometimes from otherwise decent and reasonably intelligent people...which is more mind-boggling than the proud to be dumb and indecent cult members.

The internet...leaning more towards curse than blessing by the day. Specifically the anti-social media segment of the internet...a plague on humanity.

It is (none / 0) (#15)
    by CaptHowdy on Wed Oct 28, 2020 at 03:07:39 PM EST
    I have heard people I had previously thought were smart normal people.  Educated people.  Advanced degrees.  Normal lives.  Good neighbors.  Say sh!t that was absolutely shocking.  Stunning.  Frighteningly uninformed and fascist.

Ever wonder... (5.00 / 2) (#17)
    by kdog on Wed Oct 28, 2020 at 03:19:06 PM EST
    if it was always this way only today people are more prone to share such lunatic opinions and views? Where as in the past it was considered impolite and bad form to talk politics too much?

I would have never guessed co-workers,  acquaintances, and even a few dear friends and family had so much darkness in them till Trump came along.

Ha (none / 0) (#20)
    by CaptHowdy on Wed Oct 28, 2020 at 03:32:19 PM EST
    See below

Yes (none / 0) (#33)
    by Ga6thDem on Wed Oct 28, 2020 at 04:58:41 PM EST
    I have been shocked at how many black hearts I have found reside among friends and family.

My next door neighbors and (none / 0) (#18)
    by vml68 on Wed Oct 28, 2020 at 03:26:33 PM EST
    husband's colleagues are as you describe. I can kind of understand them being Republican but being a Tr*mper is completely unfathomable to me.
    Unfortunately, I have become a bit reactionary so when husband repeats some of their cr@p, we get into an argument.
    He voted a straight dem ticket and yet when he said, "you know Biden is going to raise our taxes", I just about bit his head off. I can't wait for this nightmare to end so I can go back to being a somewhat normal human being again.

It's causing me some home strife... (none / 0) (#22)
    by kdog on Wed Oct 28, 2020 at 03:41:25 PM EST
    with my old lady too...over my lifelong friends who are Trumpers.  We went to a birthday party pre-Covid for one of them and the crazy bastard actually has throw pillows on his couch with pictures of Trump on them.

My girlfriend was horrified and wanted to go home IMMEDIATELY.  Her being the only black person there did not help matters.  Capital A awkward.

But she actually likes him and his wife and enjoys their company as long as politics doesn't come up and it's not at their house with those god-forsaken pillows...so gross.

But if he has Tr*mp throw-pillows (5.00 / 4) (#24)
    by Peter G on Wed Oct 28, 2020 at 04:05:08 PM EST
    on his couch, that means you and your g/f get to sit on Tr*mp's face when you visit. Doesn't that make it almost worth it?

Her ass too fine... (5.00 / 2) (#26)
    by kdog on Wed Oct 28, 2020 at 04:16:45 PM EST
    for such an ugly mug!

And Trump never got that kinda action without paying for it.

Especially (none / 0) (#27)
    by FlJoe on Wed Oct 28, 2020 at 04:24:20 PM EST
    if beans are on the menu.

It might be less frightening (none / 0) (#19)
    by CaptHowdy on Wed Oct 28, 2020 at 03:31:34 PM EST
    if there was an ideology.  You know, something.  Anything besides naked hate and cruelty. I guess I'm saying the thin veneer of "policy" that the right has used to push their regressive ideas forever is what I (we) had become comfortable with and accustomed to.

We are shocked when he says the quiet part out loud.  Which is the heart of it I think.  It lets them say the quiet part out loud and think it's ok.  Which is their idea of nirvana.

But Trumpism is not new.  They have always been there.  It's been quietly and diligently cultivated by republicans but not openly discussed in polite company all my life.  Trump is just its full blossoming.  Like that giant flower that takes years to bloom and smells like carrion.  Ok if you want to attract flies and scavengers.

BTW (none / 0) (#21)
    by CaptHowdy on Wed Oct 28, 2020 at 03:37:33 PM EST
    Trumps single achievement is seeing that.  In recognizing the hate and resentment, maybe because there is so much in him, and instantly seeing it as political currency.

Guardian (none / 0) (#35)
    by CaptHowdy on Wed Oct 28, 2020 at 05:24:03 PM EST
    "The Republican party has become dramatically more illiberal in the past two decades and now more closely resembles ruling parties in autocratic societies than its former center-right equivalents in Europe, according to a new international study."

"In a significant shift since 2000, the GOP has taken to demonising and encouraging violence against its opponents, adopting attitudes and tactics comparable to ruling nationalist parties in Hungary, India, Poland and Turkey."

"By contrast the Democratic party has changed little in its attachment to democratic norms, and in that regard has remained similar to centre-right and centre-left parties in western Europe. Their principal difference is the approach to the economy."

link

I have always rejected (none / 0) (#13)
    by CaptHowdy on Wed Oct 28, 2020 at 03:01:01 PM EST
    The idea having a degree made you smart or not having it be means the opposite.

Since I don't have one.  I'm rethinking.  Maybe smarter.  On average.

I see Trumpers (none / 0) (#12)
    by Ga6thDem on Wed Oct 28, 2020 at 02:58:21 PM EST
    on facebook posting from satire sites believing it is factual.

I think you might enjoy this little clip from her. (5.00 / 1) (#16)
    by vml68 on Wed Oct 28, 2020 at 03:08:34 PM EST
    Wow. Just wow. (none / 0) (#28)
    by Chuck0 on Wed Oct 28, 2020 at 04:27:22 PM EST
    If someone had shown me that clip without context, I would have sworn it was some kind of spoof. Something from a sketch show. How are people that ignorant allowed to leave the home? Does someone else dress them? Are they allowed to use real utensils or only plastic? It is frightening that someone that clueless and stupid is allowed to vote. "Tom Hanks is in Greece being a pedophile." Holy cr@p!

ChuckO, it was a parody :-) (none / 0) (#32)
    by vml68 on Wed Oct 28, 2020 at 04:54:29 PM EST
    We've all heard such insane stuff from the Tr*mpers that it's hard to tell when it is a spoof.

I thought that the writing, the acting and (5.00 / 2) (#41)
    by Peter G on Wed Oct 28, 2020 at 06:14:17 PM EST
    the editing were all totally brilliant.

Her name is apparently (none / 0) (#42)
    by Peter G on Wed Oct 28, 2020 at 06:16:53 PM EST
    This (none / 0) (#34)
    by CaptHowdy on Wed Oct 28, 2020 at 05:10:59 PM EST
    is not a parody

And this is not

And this is not

And, how much time do you have?

Now I feel kind of dumb. (none / 0) (#49)
    by Chuck0 on Wed Oct 28, 2020 at 08:19:03 PM EST
    The clip was not unlike others I've seen. Many interviews with the cultists are simpatico to the link you gave. Look at the stuff CaptHowdy linked to. I went for it hook line and sinker. Call me gullible.

I did not know it was a parody (5.00 / 1) (#54)
    by CaptHowdy on Wed Oct 28, 2020 at 08:55:26 PM EST
    but I became suspicious when she got to the part about how there would not be so many unconscious old people if you were not counting them.

So I checked.  But it was very believable.

This is what loyalty to the Tr*mpenfuhrer gets (5.00 / 1) (#70)
    by vml68 on Thu Oct 29, 2020 at 08:24:53 AM EST
    Anonymous (none / 0) (#2)
    by FlJoe on Wed Oct 28, 2020 at 02:16:36 PM EST
    is Miles Taylor a former Homeland security official.

I was in mid comment (none / 0) (#3)
    by CaptHowdy on Wed Oct 28, 2020 at 02:17:58 PM EST
    When this happened.

As I said, wait, who?

Anonymous (5.00 / 1) (#4)
    by CaptHowdy on Wed Oct 28, 2020 at 02:21:48 PM EST
    a·non·y·mous
    əˈnänəməs
    adjective
    (of a person) unknown name

Dudes still "anonymous" kind of.

I know a lot of these people were (none / 0) (#5)
    by vml68 on Wed Oct 28, 2020 at 02:35:31 PM EST
    elderly and I should feel sorry for them but, honestly, I just don't give a f*@k anymore.

Trump Supporters Were Hospitalized After Being Stranded In The Freezing Cold At A Rally In Nebraska

Yeah (none / 0) (#7)
    by Ga6thDem on Wed Oct 28, 2020 at 02:40:40 PM EST
    I read something about how there were no buses because Trump's credit card kept getting declined. Apparently they found a way to pay the bus company after a couple of hours.

The Omaha cos (none / 0) (#37)
    by Towanda on Wed Oct 28, 2020 at 05:38:08 PM EST
    called the city bus system, city buses, not Trump buses.

That added a lot to the municipal bill that he won't pay.

*cops* (none / 0) (#38)
    by Towanda on Wed Oct 28, 2020 at 05:39:00 PM EST
    Oh, boy (none / 0) (#40)
    by Ga6thDem on Wed Oct 28, 2020 at 05:50:54 PM EST
    the "gubmint" had to bail another Trump failure out.Yes, they will never see that money nor will any of the other cities that Trump owes money to.

The phrase... (none / 0) (#10)
    by kdog on Wed Oct 28, 2020 at 02:50:18 PM EST
    "play stupid games, win stupid prizes" comes to mind.

Perfect example of how little Trump thinks of his cult-followers to now insure everybody got home safe...but I'm sure in their warped minds "the libruls" stole the shuttle buses and moved their parked cars to different locations while on break from plotting to take their guns away.

I thought Wray looked uncomfortable (none / 0) (#23)
    by CaptHowdy on Wed Oct 28, 2020 at 04:03:21 PM EST

Director of National Intelligence John Ratcliffe went off script when he alleged during a press conference last week that Iran was sending intimidating emails to Americans in order to "damage President Trump," Politico reports.

The reference to Trump was not in Ratcliffe's prepared remarks about the foreign election interference, as shown to and signed off by FBI Director Chris Wray.

The SC just said no to the republicans (none / 0) (#25)
    by CaptHowdy on Wed Oct 28, 2020 at 04:12:53 PM EST
    In Pennsylvania. 5-3 ACB recused.

Not correct. The Supreme Court denied the Rs' (5.00 / 1) (#44)
    by Peter G on Wed Oct 28, 2020 at 07:04:43 PM EST
    motion to decide the case prior to Election Day, that's all. There was no noted dissent. Apparently because it would not really be possible to do so in the careful way that the Court operates. Barrett "did not participate," which could mean that she recused, but not necessarily. Alito (joined by Thomas and Gorsuch) opined that it appears to them that the PA Supreme Court probably violated the U.S. Constitution's assignment of election rule-making to State Legislatures by requiring that the PA Legislature set rules for the election that do not violate the PA Constitution's guarantee of "free and equal" elections. The order mentions that additional opinions (perhaps from Kavanaugh or Kagan) "may follow."

Perhaps I worded it wrong (none / 0) (#45)
    by CaptHowdy on Wed Oct 28, 2020 at 07:10:48 PM EST
    But that what I meant.  They said no.  To hearing the case.  In fact I think Pete Williams said "did not participate".  I said recuse.

Just noting the news.  There are plenty of lawyers to correct me.

They did not say no to hearing the case (5.00 / 1) (#46)
    by Peter G on Wed Oct 28, 2020 at 07:41:53 PM EST
    They said no to deciding before Election Day. They may yet take the case, expedite decisionmaking, and issue an opinion prior to the certification of the final vote and appointment of electors (mid-December), which was the Bush v Gore schedule. Meanwhile, ballots received between 8 pm Tuesday of next week and 5 pm Friday (the extra window that the state court allowed) are to be counted, but then set aside and kept separate in case they need to be invalidated later. The threat remains. If you heard differently on TV, the reporter got it wrong.

What I heard was about 15 seconds long (none / 0) (#47)
    by CaptHowdy on Wed Oct 28, 2020 at 07:50:47 PM EST
    Thanks for the longer explanation.

Perhaps leave it to the lawyers. (none / 0) (#56)
    by oculus on Wed Oct 28, 2020 at 09:18:50 PM EST
    Actually (none / 0) (#57)
    by CaptHowdy on Wed Oct 28, 2020 at 09:50:45 PM EST
    I think Pete Williams is a lawyer

Alito et al. (none / 0) (#50)
    by KeysDan on Wed Oct 28, 2020 at 08:26:02 PM EST
    seem to be saying that  while not expediting the case as requested by the Republicans, we leave the possibility open that votes cast legally and in accord with rules at this time may be found to be invalid later.   Or, maybe just if the results are close for Republican candidates we need to reserve the right.

Short term.  No longer vote by mail.  Drop box or hand deliver to election officials.  Or in person.

Longer term.  Re-balance the Court, counter the Republican  hacks.

They have been saying (none / 0) (#51)
    by CaptHowdy on Wed Oct 28, 2020 at 08:31:15 PM EST
    for a couple of days it's to late to mail.  Drop off.

Amazing to me so many millions of absentee ballots have still not been returned.  Half in some places I heard earlier today.

I returned mine the next day.

Just popped up (none / 0) (#52)
    by CaptHowdy on Wed Oct 28, 2020 at 08:33:24 PM EST

Millions of Mail Ballots Have Not Been Returned Yet

October 28, 2020 at 9:30 pm EDT By Taegan Goddard 21 Comments

"Amid a record surge in early voting, millions of mail ballots remained unreturned Wednesday, prompting a flurry of warnings from election officials that ballots sent via the U.S. Postal Service at this point may not arrive in time to be counted," the Washington Post reports.

Not sure if this applies (none / 0) (#59)
    by MO Blue on Wed Oct 28, 2020 at 10:24:01 PM EST
    I requested an absentee ballot but with all the hoopla about DeJoy mucking up the Post Office, I chose to vote early at the Board of Elections instead. Not sure if my original ballot would be included in the number of absentee ballots not returned.

There was comments suggesting (none / 0) (#61)
    by CaptHowdy on Thu Oct 29, 2020 at 12:10:46 AM EST
    that was part of the problem in the thread from the political wire site I quoted.  I guess it's hard to tell at this point.

My son (none / 0) (#63)
    by Ga6thDem on Thu Oct 29, 2020 at 04:39:33 AM EST
    in college in Atlanta has not returned his ballot. Here's the crazy thing the nearest post office is 10 miles away and he did not take his car to college. So instead of bringing him up here to vote and having him hand in his ballot we are driving down to Atlanta on Saturday and having lunch and then bringing his ballot back with us and dropping it in the box for him. I don't know how many other students and voters are in this same position.

FWIW the Trumper son and daughter in law are not voting in this election. They have given up on politics and voting sorry to say. Glad they're not voting for Trump but hate that they have basically given up on participating in democracy because of Trump.

Are you allowed to do that in GA? (5.00 / 1) (#64)
    by Chuck0 on Thu Oct 29, 2020 at 04:46:52 AM EST
    In PA, you cannot drop off someone else's ballot. I had to hobble into the county bldg on my own to drop ballot even though my wife had just walked hers in.

Yes (5.00 / 1) (#66)
    by Ga6thDem on Thu Oct 29, 2020 at 04:52:10 AM EST
    as long as it is a "trusted" individual. I dropped off the ballot for my husband and I made him make sure it was legal that I could do it.

Here are the requirements (none / 0) (#68)
    by Ga6thDem on Thu Oct 29, 2020 at 04:56:41 AM EST
    in GA
    Mailing or delivery may be made by the elector's mother, father, grandparent, aunt, uncle, brother, sister, spouse, son, daughter, niece, nephew, grandchild, son-in-law, daughter-in-law, mother-in-law, father-in-law, brother-in-law, sister-in-law, or an individual residing in the household of such elector. The absentee ballot of a disabled elector may be mailed or delivered by the caregiver of such disabled elector, regardless of whether such caregiver resides in such disabled elector's household. The absentee ballot of an elector who is in custody in a jail or other detention facility may be mailed or delivered by any employee of such jail or facility having custody of such elector.

To rehear: (none / 0) (#29)
    by KeysDan on Wed Oct 28, 2020 at 04:40:32 PM EST
    Thomas, Alito and Kavanaugh.  After the Monday night White House Confirmation soiree where Trump and Barrett looked like Mussolini and Clara on the balcony, Roberts must have advised ACB: bad optics, lay low.

Lay low (none / 0) (#30)
    by CaptHowdy on Wed Oct 28, 2020 at 04:44:24 PM EST
    No point.  That's exactly what I thought.  4-4 would have yielded the same result.  Best keep your powder dry.

5-4 (none / 0) (#31)
    by CaptHowdy on Wed Oct 28, 2020 at 04:45:30 PM EST
    The Secretary (none / 0) (#43)
    by KeysDan on Wed Oct 28, 2020 at 06:26:43 PM EST
    of State of Vermont has officially requested Justice Kavanaugh   to correct his  incorrect reference to a Vermont election law cited in his opinion on the Wisconsin election case.  Kavanaugh  used the reference in justifying his opinion.

Sloppy and embarrassing.

Somehow (none / 0) (#60)
    by MO Blue on Wed Oct 28, 2020 at 10:32:35 PM EST
    It really irritates me that Barrett is referred to by her 3 initials. RBG...she will never fill her shoes.

Times (none / 0) (#72)
    by CaptHowdy on Thu Oct 29, 2020 at 09:15:12 AM EST

"President Trump's campaign in the crucial battleground of Pennsylvania is pursuing a three-pronged strategy that would effectively suppress mail-in votes in the state, moving to stop the counting of absentee votes before Election Day, pushing to limit how late mail-in ballots can be accepted and intimidating Pennsylvanians trying to vote early," the New York Times reports.

link

Wow (none / 0) (#48)
    by CaptHowdy on Wed Oct 28, 2020 at 08:11:08 PM EST
    Holding a bible in one hand and a pistol in the other, Idaho Lt. Gov. Janice McGeachin (R) appeared in a video from a group that declared it will ignore any state emergency orders that it believes violates people's rights, the Spokesman Review reports.

The video, which also featured several GOP lawmakers, was released a day after Gov. Brad Little (R) had to push the state reopening plan back because of an alarming spike in coronavirus infections.

link

The technical term for this (none / 0) (#53)
    by Peter G on Wed Oct 28, 2020 at 08:53:36 PM EST
    is seditious conspiracy.

The Bible (none / 0) (#58)
    by CaptHowdy on Wed Oct 28, 2020 at 09:54:15 PM EST
    is a nice touch tho.

Has anyone been charged with sedition lately? (none / 0) (#62)
    by Donald from Hawaii on Thu Oct 29, 2020 at 02:23:59 AM EST
    The term just sounds so "1798".

If there is not regime change (none / 0) (#67)
    by Chuck0 on Thu Oct 29, 2020 at 04:56:25 AM EST
    In this country, you may read about me being charged with sedition. My life will take a new turn if Joe loses the election. I will be resigning my position with my defense co. employer and redirect my efforts to active sedition. I can't continue working for a co. whose sole customer is a vile, repugnant tinpot dictator whom I will be actively supporting for armed insurrection against.

Be careful with it (none / 0) (#69)
    by CaptHowdy on Thu Oct 29, 2020 at 07:52:35 AM EST
    unlike  Lt. Gov. Janice McGeachin you and I will be prosecuted quickly.

On another subject, there was a lag in polling after the last debate but in the last few days there has just been a flood on new polling.  As Nate Silver says

"After a surprisingly sluggish weekend for polling, the floodgates have opened, with a mix of high-quality polls, low-quality polls and pretty much everything in between. And although there are some outliers in both directions, they tell a fairly consistent story, overall: A steady race nationally, perhaps with some gains for Joe Biden in the Midwest."

talking about conversations with the loonies, one of the things I have debated several times is the Electoral College and how it was an antiquated disgrace.  They are VERY much against this.  The subtext they avoid is it is what allowed Trump to win while losing by 3 million votes.  They have been deeply outraged and offended that getting rid of it could even be discussed.

You know what, if Biden wins GA, TX, FL, and/or NC, I think it might soon be republicans who are arguing for getting rid of the EC.  Really any one of those added to traditional blue states would mean no more republican presidents.

Probably not since the Smith Act cases (none / 0) (#71)
    by Peter G on Thu Oct 29, 2020 at 08:32:51 AM EST
    of the early 1950s, and the prosecution of Socialist leaders (such as the editors of The Masses) in the period around 1919. I intended that anachronistic implication.