Crunching the South Carolina Numbers
A few observations I didn't hear on tv last night:
- While Hillary and Edwards only won one county each, in several counties, their combined totals exceeded Obama's. Among them: Anderson, Chesterfield, Cherokee, Lancaster, Lexington, Newberry, Pickens, Spartanburg and York.
- Hillary drew more votes than Obama in Oconee County, which was won by Edwards.
- Horrey County, the one county Clinton won, has four colleges.
- Obama's vote total: 295, 214. Hillary and Edwards combined vote total: 234, 793. Candidates who dropped out: 2,461 votes. So the total vote was 532,468. Of that, Obama got 55% of the vote, the other candidates got 45%.
- Perspective: Obama scored a big win over Hillary Clinton, but not so big among all Democrats. Democratic primary voters preferred Obama by 10 percentage points. He's clearly the favored candidate, but there was also a strong preference shown for someone other than Obama.
|< Late Night: Hillary's Most Vocal Supporters | The Media And The 2008 Election: The Perfect Storm Of Clinton Hate >|