Thousands Gather on Capitol Hill Urging Habeas Reform, Closure of Gitmo
Today is June Action Day (background here) on Capitol Hill. Thousands gathered in support of bills introduced to restore the right to habeas corpus, close Guantanamo and fix the broken military commissions system.
A hearing on the bills begins at 2:00 pm (ET).
From the ACLU (received by e-mail):
Over eighty organizations, led by the American Civil Liberties Union, Amnesty International USA, the Leadership Conference on Civil Rights, and the National Religious Campaign Against Torture, came together to organize a rally and lobby visits to Congress. In addition to the rally, attendees at the Day of Action to Restore Law & Justice delivered over 250,000 petition signatures to Washington lawmakers, urging them to:
1. Restore habeas corpus and due process.
2. Pass the Restoring the Constitution Act of 2007.
3. End torture and abuse in secret prisons.
4. Stop extraordinary rendition: secretly kidnapping people and sending them to countries that torture.
5. Close the detention center at Guantánamo Bay and give those held currently access to justice.
Christy at Firedoglake provides the phone numbers for you to call. Today is the day to make yourself heard.
|< Richard Cohen's "History" Lesson | Senate Votes to Revisit Stalled Immigration Bill >|