New Crime Reports Call for Prison Reform, Shorter Sentences
Call for prison reform are finally drawing attention from policy makers and members of the law enforcement community. Via the Scout Report at the University of Wisconsin:
- U.S. Prison system a costly and harmful failure
about recent JFA report.
- California a leader in number of youths in prison for life
- Crack cocaine sentence cut is stalled by retroactivity
- NPR: Should Sentencing Reform Be Retroactive? [Real Player]
- Unlocking America [pdf]
- Bureau of Justice Statistics
Within the vast world of pressing policy problems, system-wide prison reform in the United States has been a subject that has vexed even the most dedicated experts and committed activists. Over the past four decades, the prison population has risen eight-fold, and people have laid the blame on everything from mandatory sentencing laws to economic restructuring in America's manufacturing regions.
|< Hillary Hate: Exhibit A | 'Round the Blogosphere and Open Thread >|