Jose Padilla's Competency to be Argued Today
Florida District Court Judge Marcia Cooke will hold a status conference Monday on the issue of alleged "dirty bomber" Jose Padilla's competency.
- Reports being suspicious of everyone, including his attorneys, and stated that he does not know who he can and cannot trust. He indicated he was unsure of whether his attorneys might really be federal agents posing as his attorneys.''
- Appeared to become visibly distressed whenever asked about sensitive topics (his palms appeared to become sweaty ... his body would tense up, and he would rock back and forth).''
- Is unable to watch video recordings of his interrogation ..."
- "Appears convinced at times that no matter what happens he will be returned to the brig, even if he prevails in the current case.''
- Was certain that nobody could help him, that he could not be rescued from his current situation.''
- Both experts concluded that Padilla was not faking mental problems and, in Hegarty's words, "is terrified that anyone will consider him mentally ill or crazy.''
|< 33 More Guantanamo Detainees Sent Home | Sex Offender Residency Laws Under Attack >|