Where Should the 2008 DNC Be Held?

It's down to the wire. DNC Chair Howard Dean will decide really soon, probably this coming week, whether the 2008 Democratic National Convention will be held in Denver or New York City.

I really hope Denver is chosen. We are up to the challenge, we can raise the money and we have the infrastructure.

The Rocky Mountain West is the old South in terms of importance in 2008, particularly Colorado and New Mexico.

It would be great to host bloggers here in Denver. There's a lot to do, it's young and vibrant, not too expensive and easy to get around.

We also have a very active progressive blog community. Check out ProgressNow Action, Colorado Confidential, Square State and Colorado Media Matters. We're ready.

Where do you think the convention should be held?

< John Edwards to Announce 2008 Candicacy | Saturday Funnies: The Christmas Party >


Where Should the 2008 DNC Be Held
Denver 85%
New York 14%

Votes: 14
Results | Other Polls
  • The Online Magazine with Liberal coverage of crime-related political and injustice news

  • Contribute To TalkLeft

  • Display: Sort:
    I vote for Denver, simply because I... (5.00 / 1) (#1)
    by Bill Arnett on Sat Dec 16, 2006 at 03:37:25 PM EST
    ...don't consider N.Y. to be the "be-all to end-all" cities in the U.S., and I'm sick and tired of N.Y. whining that they want every event in the world to happen there as if they were somehow entitled

    Well I live in New York and (5.00 / 2) (#2)
    by Daniel Millstone on Sat Dec 16, 2006 at 04:05:20 PM EST
    I hope the convention is in Denver. If you think having a really big convention in your hometown is a great idea, good luck.

    Higher hotel rates, (none / 0) (#5)
    by Maggie Mae on Sat Dec 16, 2006 at 04:18:18 PM EST
    lost parking spaces, lines at restaurants (and pretty much any other place you have to "enter," except your own residence), increased traffic, just the sheer crunch of extra bodies, etc., etc.

    I think anyone who has experienced an event that brings in people from all over the country to their fair city, be it big or small, can appreciate your reasoning.  I can't imagine what it's like during the Olympics.


    I vote Denver (none / 0) (#3)
    by Maggie Mae on Sat Dec 16, 2006 at 04:07:59 PM EST
    Picking Denver would continue the "50 State Plan," of not just concentrating on the reliably Democratic areas of the country.  Move west Democrats, move west!

    Good point (5.00 / 1) (#4)
    by glanton on Sat Dec 16, 2006 at 04:14:45 PM EST
    and great moniker, Maggie Mae.

    Denver is an excellent choice for the '08 convention, it would likely contribute to the already growing Democratic momentum in the American West.  And as Jeralyn points out, the attendees would have a blast!


    Not in NYC (none / 0) (#6)
    by squeaky on Sat Dec 16, 2006 at 04:35:47 PM EST
    After living through the RNC Convention here, I would be happy never to see another one in NYC.

    The police were frothing in a frenzy of illegal arrests.

    mpls (none / 0) (#7)
    by eric on Sat Dec 16, 2006 at 05:17:23 PM EST
    DNC blew it, republicans beat them to Minneapolis.

    About those non-union hotels in Denver...

    It SHOULD be held in Denver, but... (none / 0) (#8)
    by JHFarr on Sat Dec 16, 2006 at 06:57:57 PM EST
    ... you know the Democratic Party establishment doesn't have the sense God gave a jellyfish, so New York it will be.

    I'm for Denver too (none / 0) (#9)
    by unbill on Sat Dec 16, 2006 at 07:55:26 PM EST
    Except for the fact that the right is going to have a field day with the "Mile High" city if Barack Obama is the candidate (if not, they'll be joking about Bill Clinton holding his breath for three days), I think Denver is a great idea. I'd love to see Colorado finally go blue.

    If we (none / 0) (#10)
    by Che's Lounge on Sun Dec 17, 2006 at 02:18:52 PM EST
    are still in Iraq by then, you may regret wanting the Dem convention in your town. Do you think we will be OOI by then? You better f###ing hope so. Two more years of this and people will be dying in OUR streets. And it won't be from A-rabs.  

    History repeats, especially when the same fools make the same stupid mistakes. And the fools who follow them are to the point of crossing their fingers and clicking their heels together.

    How many more failures do we need to realize that free market capitalism DOESN'T WORK for 99% of the world's population, and survives only by instigating and perpetuating violent conflicts to enrich the remaining 1%?

    So have at it Denver fans, but be careful what you wish for.

    Denver convention (none / 0) (#11)
    by sarum on Mon Dec 18, 2006 at 02:06:10 PM EST
    I don't think the democrats will want to put up with the overload of rightwing media in the Denver area, (see media matters colorado)