First Abu Ghraib Iraqi Prisoner Sues U.S. for Damages
The first lawsuit against the U.S. military for damages for torture at Abu Ghraib prison has been filed by an Iraqi (who is also a Swedish citizen) in Michigan, where he is now staying with his mother and relatives:
An Iraqi-born Swedish citizen claiming to have been tortured at Abu Ghraib prison is seeking more than $100,000 from the American military. A Michigan lawyer filed a claim with the Army last Wednesday on behalf of the man, identified in the filing only as Mr. Saleh. "Hopefully we'll reach an amicable settlement, and if not we'll seek relief in federal court," said the lawyer, Shereef H. Akeel.
Mr. Saleh was interviewed over the weekend but is no longer speaking with the media. This article says he is the naked hooded prisoner in the photo with Lynndie England pointing at his genitals. Here's his story:
Saleh said he remembers the names of his tormentors and plans to file lawsuits against them. The Army has already charged two of them, Cpl. Charles A. Graner and Staff Sgt. Ivan Frederick II. Besides Graner and Frederick, Saleh recalls others only by partial names or nicknames: a sergeant named Schneider, another named Pearl, and "Nicolai" - one of the intelligence officers who he says directed the torture in Cellblock I/A, where he spent all but one month of his time in Abu Ghraib. "One of them wore glasses and one urinated on me," Saleh said Saturday at the office of an Iraqi human rights organization.
Saleh said he had been tortured at Abu Ghraib before under Saddam, when he refused to serve in the military, and his treatment by Americans was way worse:
|< Sworn Guards' Testimony of Prisoner Abuse Gets Grisly | MTV and Youth Vote: Is it Hit and Miss? >|