ACLU Crunches Guantanamo Numbers
The ACLU today published this handy graphic after crunching the numbers on Guatanamo detainees.
Among the stats:
- 92% of the detainees were never al-Qaeda fighters. 86% were turned over to coalition forces for a bounty. Only 5% were captured by U.S. soldiers.
- Number of children detained at Gitmo: 21 (the youngest was 13.)
- The oldest detainee was 98.
- More than 200 FBI agents reported abusive treatment of detainees
- At least 16 were tortured in overseas secret prisons before getting to Gitmo
- 8 detainees have died. 6 were suicides, including a detainee who arrived at Gitmo at age 16 and killed himself at age 21.
There are 171 detainees still at Guantanamo. 89 have been cleared for release. The amount it costs per year to keep the 89 detained at Gitmo: $70 million.
|< BCS Championship Open Thread | Tuesday Morning Open Thread >|