Wednesday Open Thread

Here's a new open thread, all topics welcome.

< Donald Trump to Give Immigration Speech

Houston, The Ego has landed. (5.00 / 1) (#1)
    by Donald from Hawaii on Wed Aug 31, 2016 at 03:00:05 PM EST
    Given the appalling things that Trump has said repeatedly about their country and its people, it's perfectly understandable that Mexicans from across the political spectrum would be: (a) Dumbfounded that President Enrique Peña Nieto would invite the thoroughly despised GOP nominee to Mexico City for a chat; and (b) Royally pi$$ed off at Peña Nieto for doing so.

The mans approval numbers (none / 0) (#2)
    by CaptHowdy on Wed Aug 31, 2016 at 03:07:19 PM EST
    We're in the 20s.  So he hardly had anything to lose.  It would be wonderful if he intends to raise his numbers by humiliating Trump.

The podiums await.

You didn't have to wait long. (5.00 / 2) (#9)
    by Donald from Hawaii on Wed Aug 31, 2016 at 06:37:50 PM EST
    "Al incinio de la conversación con Donald Trump dejé claro de México no pagará por el muro."
    Translation: "At the beginning of the conversation with Donald Trump I made it quite clear that Mexico would not pay for the wall."
    - President Enrique Peña Nieto, Mexico City (August 31, 2016)

So basically, President Peña Nieto has now called out Trump publicly as a liar, by personally contradicting Trump's claim to the media that they didn't discuss the proposed wall.

Mrs. Clinton need only sit back today, while her opponent screws himself.

;-D

Just put this in the other thread (none / 0) (#11)
    by CaptHowdy on Wed Aug 31, 2016 at 06:41:46 PM EST
    No doubt the source of at least one of the WTF expressions.

Wait, what (none / 0) (#3)
    by CaptHowdy on Wed Aug 31, 2016 at 03:14:10 PM EST
    He agrees with Trump that NAFTA has been very good for out countries?   Did he just say that?

The facial reactions (none / 0) (#4)
    by CaptHowdy on Wed Aug 31, 2016 at 03:26:55 PM EST
    Of the Mexican president while Trump is speaking is great.

A meme is born.

Were you listening to the MSNBC translator? (none / 0) (#7)
    by Donald from Hawaii on Wed Aug 31, 2016 at 06:08:29 PM EST
    That guy at times reminded me of President Obama's sign language interpreter at Nelson Mandela's funeral.

Krappy translator krappy sound (5.00 / 1) (#10)
    by CaptHowdy on Wed Aug 31, 2016 at 06:39:33 PM EST
    This is from a WaPo transcript

So I had a very open and constructive discussion with Mr. Donald Trump. The objective of this meeting was to meet each other and to know about the bilateral relations. As far as commercial issues, I shared with Mr. Trump my conviction that the free trade of North America has done a lot of good to both the U.S. as well as Mexico. U.S. exports to Mexico are close to $200 billion a year. And according to the U.S. Chamber of Commerce, more than six million jobs in the U.S. rely on the exports to Mexico.

I heard HE shared blah blah .....

It was terrible (none / 0) (#8)
    by CaptHowdy on Wed Aug 31, 2016 at 06:17:17 PM EST
    That's why my comment was a question.   I would love to know if that's what he said.

I couldn't tell. (none / 0) (#12)
    by Donald from Hawaii on Wed Aug 31, 2016 at 06:44:18 PM EST
    I was trying really hard to listen directly to President Peña Nieto, but the MSNBC translator was talking right over him. His translation was just this side of gibberish.

Honestly, where'd MSNBC find this guy? I think they just asked their people on the ground in Mexico City if someone spoke Spanish, he held up his hand and said that he took two years of it in high school, and they responded, "Cool, you're the man."

;-D

Listening to Trump.. (none / 0) (#5)
    by desertswine on Wed Aug 31, 2016 at 03:28:26 PM EST
    is like listening to a 15 year old bully.

At least he didn't call the Mexican president... (none / 0) (#6)
    by desertswine on Wed Aug 31, 2016 at 03:44:16 PM EST
    Little Pablo or anything like that.

I got to see Hell or High Water today (none / 0) (#13)
    by McBain on Wed Aug 31, 2016 at 08:21:12 PM EST
    A very solid film with good performances from everyone.

One of the previews was for the sci fi movie Arrival.  Of course I'll need to see that but, based on the trailer, it looks like a movie I've already seen several versions of...
    Aliens show up in mysterious hovering spaceships and one super smart scientist will figure out how to talk to them or kill them or whatever is needed. A tried and true Hollywood formula I can't resist.

The Arrval looks great (none / 0) (#14)
    by CaptHowdy on Wed Aug 31, 2016 at 08:32:47 PM EST
    Not a huge western fan but I want to see Hellor High Water mostly because I really like Dale Dickey (Elsie).   She has done so much great stuff.

It's a modern western (none / 0) (#15)
    by McBain on Wed Aug 31, 2016 at 09:09:57 PM EST
    kinda like No Country for Old Men, which is one of the few Coen Bros films I liked.

I also finished Stranger Things last week. Any other good sci fi/ suspense dramas out there?  I couldn't get into Mr. Robot.

The Strain (none / 0) (#16)
    by CaptHowdy on Wed Aug 31, 2016 at 09:14:11 PM EST
    Started a new season Sunday.  Thank god since The Night Of is over, Ray Donavon is taking the holiday weekend off and the new seasons of The Walkimg Dead shows have not started yet.

Her role is a rather small one, ... (none / 0) (#17)
    by Donald from Hawaii on Wed Aug 31, 2016 at 10:02:29 PM EST
    ... yet it's also pivotal to "Hell or High Water" because her scene sets the stage for what follows.