Are You Elite?
1. Can you talk about "Mad Men?" Yes.
2. Can you talk about the "The Sopranos?" Yes.
3. Do you know who replaced Bob Barker on "The Price Is Right?" Nope.
4. Have you watched an Oprah show from beginning to end? Never watched Oprah in my life.
5. Can you hold forth animatedly about yoga?Nope.
6. How about pilates? Nope.
7. How about skiing? Nope.
8. Mountain biking? Nope.
9. Do you know who Jimmie Johnson is? Yep. Champion NASCAR racer. I also know who Jimmy Johnson is -- former football coach and current spokesperson for male enhancement products.
10. Does the acronym MMA mean nothing to you? Mixed Martial Arts. Not a fan.
11. Can you talk about books endlessly? Well, some books anyway.
12. Have you ever read a "Left Behind" novel? Nope.
13. How about a Harlequin romance? I've read romances, but not a Harlequin romance.
14. Do you take interesting vacations? Nope.
15. Do you know a great backpacking spot in the Sierra Nevada? Not the Sierra Nevada or anywhere.
16. What about an exquisite B and B overlooking Boothbay Harbor? Wha?
17. Would you be caught dead in an RV? Not by choice.
18. Would you be caught dead on a cruise ship? Not by choice.
19. Have you ever heard of of Branson, Mo? Yes. Vegas for the Bible Belt. Never plan on going there.
20. Have you ever attended a meeting of a Kiwanis Club? Nope.
21. How about the Rotary Club? Nope.
22. Have you lived for at least a year in a small town? I grew up in a small town.
23. Have you lived for a year in an urban neighborhood in which most of your neighbors did not have college degrees? No idea. I did not go around asking for credentials.
24. Have you spent at least a year with a family income less than twice the poverty line? Nope.
25. Do you have a close friend who is an evangelical Christian? Nope.
26. Have you ever visited a factory floor? "Visited?" No. Worked on a factory floor. Yes.
27. Have you worked on one? Yes.
I think Drum proposes some additional questions that makes sense - did you go to a public university, et al. Here are my proposed additions:
a. Did you go to public school? Yes.
b. Did you go to public university? No.
c. Did you go to public graduate school. No.
d. Do you follow college football? Very much so.
e. Do you follow association football (soccer)? Yes.
f. Do you eat at fast food restaurants? Yes.
g. Do you eat fried chicken? Yes.
h. Do you eat meat? Yes.
i. Have you ever visited Europe? Yes.
j. Do you own a gun? No.
Can you think of any other relevant question regarding "real American-ness?" BTW, how to score this? I dunno. Someone needs to come up with a chart or something.
Speaking for me only
|< Wednesday Open Thread | The Pre-Blame >|